NBC Sports Ratings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBC Sports Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't like McDonalds. I used to as a kid. I'm not sure if the quality has gone down or if my tastes have changed over the years. Wendy's, BK, Subway, Hardees all have a better a fast food product.

But if I'm hungery and McD's is all that's available, I'll pay to get it. It doesn't hurt that it is available coast to coast either.

So if you stopped at Burger King (NHL) and paid a few billion dollars for a hamburger so bad you were still hungry, you'd then stop at McDonald's for an even lower quality hamburger (Big East) and pay a few billion more for that second hamburger.

If being Coast to Coast and in multiple time zones is so important why is the WAC so weak their entire conference left for Mountain West? If there is one thing that sports has taught us, nothing breeds rivalries like huge geographical distances. That's why Alabama/Auburn, Texas/Oklahoma and Ohio State/Michigan are such friendly games - they are way too close to each other. Nothing brings out the venom like Cincinnati and San Diego State. Isn't it telling that the best rivalries in the new league will probably be UConn/Rutgers and USF/UCF?

I know on Monday morning in the office I can't wait to talk to the Memphis and Houston fans about what happened in CUSA over the weekend.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Whaler didn't self-identify as a UConn fan, so his Big East and UConn bashing is tolerated. If he self-identified as a BCU fan and made exactly the same posts, he would be banned as a troll about 5 posts in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Whaler didn't self-identify as a UConn fan, so his Big East and UConn bashing is tolerated. If he self-identified as a BCU fan and made exactly the same posts, he would be banned as a troll about 5 posts in.

Sorry, I'm a UConn fan - I stopped being a Big East fan when I realized it was dead and it just didn't know it yet (you can hold it against me that I realized it before many others).

Just because UConn is stuck with it, doesn't mean I have to pretend to like it, nor do I have to pretend it is something that it clearly isn't.

For some reason you can't separate UConn and the Big East. The latest version of the Big East is an absolute joke, and it reflects poorly on the university's programs. Maybe you think so little of UConn that you feel they should be in a league with Memphis and SMU and San Diego State. I find it to be an embarrassment. Maybe someday you can finally explain to me why thinking many of the teams in this league suck means that I think UConn sucks.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Yes, it's time to tax cable and satellite viewers $1 a month for the UConn fund.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't forget about the new Fox Sports Channel. They could be a contender.

Reaction Score
So if you stopped at Burger King (NHL) and paid a few billion dollars for a hamburger so bad you were still hungry, you'd then stop at McDonald's for an even lower quality hamburger (Big East) and pay a few billion more for that second hamburger.

If being Coast to Coast and in multiple time zones is so important why is the WAC so weak their entire conference left for Mountain West? If there is one thing that sports has taught us, nothing breeds rivalries like huge geographical distances. That's why Alabama/Auburn, Texas/Oklahoma and Ohio State/Michigan are such friendly games - they are way too close to each other. Nothing brings out the venom like Cincinnati and San Diego State. Isn't it telling that the best rivalries in the new league will probably be UConn/Rutgers and USF/UCF?

I know on Monday morning in the office I can't wait to talk to the Memphis and Houston fans about what happened in CUSA over the weekend.

Whaler, no way you have to be so negative. Just not required. I agree with you as to our present condition. Not good. But it is much, much, much better than we could have hoped 15 years ago. Much better. We are in the game, probably at the level right where we deserve to be, but in the game. Contrast 15 years ago. It's not that bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, no way you have to be so negative. Just not required. I agree with you as to our present condition. Not good. But it is much, much, much better than we could have hoped 15 years ago. Much better. We are in the game, probably at the level right where we deserve to be, but in the game. Contrast 15 years ago. It's not that bad.

I don't see that could be true. 15 years ago the football program was going to move into a league w Miami, VPI, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College. The basketball league was excellent as well. Sorry I don't get excited about the 7th most popular program in Houston or a glorified junior college in Idaho. I can't even take Memphis seriously enough to complain about them.

I can't wait for the rationalization that will follow when Louisville departs. Replacements for replacements.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't see that could be true. 15 years ago the football program was going to move into a league w Miami, VPI, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College. The basketball league was excellent as well. Sorry I don't get excited about the 7th most popular program in Houston or a glorified junior college in Idaho. I can't even take Memphis seriously enough to complain about them.

I can't wait for the rationalization that will follow when Louisville departs. Replacements for replacements.

First off, I believe that we announced the move to 1-A in October of 1997, and 15 years ago would be April of 1997. I know it's semantics, but just in case gars44 was referring to before we announced, it should be noted. Also, Temple was in that Big East, and they were 4-8. Another thing to note was that Rutgers was the laughing stock of ALL 1-A FOOTBALL at the time; I know we tend to forget about that now, but they were absolutely HORRIBLE. Miami was 5-6 in 1997, and Va Tech and W. Va were both 7-5. Syracuse actually won the league that year; the same team that has been the laughing stock of our league for the last 6 years or so. And we had NO IDEA if we could compete at that level or not, since we hadn't even made it to the 1-AA playoffs until the following year. Let's not forget what 15 years ago really looked like for this program.

Also, to the points made about the "junior college" in Idaho....you know, the perennially ranked team that we all hung our league hopes on for joining us; let's not mock them and what they mean to our near-term future. Also, Houston has been 1-A relevant for a great deal longer than we have, and they seem to be getting that back. Memphis? Yeah, they suck. But do they "Rutgers 1997" suck?? Hard to say.

Is our present situation ideal? No. Have we been relegated to the SunBelt? No. Let's at least be appreciative of the fact that we are still in the national discussion, even if we are seen to be the weakest BCS league by many. At least we are seen, and we are invited to the party...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If I needed food and had billions in my pocket, yes I would. So would you. So will NBC, although billions might be just a tad optimistic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First off, I believe that we announced the move to 1-A in October of 1997, and 15 years ago would be April of 1997. I know it's semantics, but just in case gars44 was referring to before we announced, it should be noted. Also, Temple was in that Big East, and they were 4-8. Another thing to note was that Rutgers was the laughing stock of ALL 1-A FOOTBALL at the time; I know we tend to forget about that now, but they were absolutely HORRIBLE. Miami was 5-6 in 1997, and Va Tech and W. Va were both 7-5. Syracuse actually won the league that year; the same team that has been the laughing stock of our league for the last 6 years or so. And we had NO IDEA if we could compete at that level or not, since we hadn't even made it to the 1-AA playoffs until the following year. Let's not forget what 15 years ago really looked like for this program.

Also, to the points made about the "junior college" in Idaho....you know, the perennially ranked team that we all hung our league hopes on for joining us; let's not mock them and what they mean to our near-term future. Also, Houston has been 1-A relevant for a great deal longer than we have, and they seem to be getting that back. Memphis? Yeah, they suck. But do they "Rutgers 1997" suck?? Hard to say.

Is our present situation ideal? No. Have we been relegated to the SunBelt? No. Let's at least be appreciative of the fact that we are still in the national discussion, even if we are seen to be the weakest BCS league by many. At least we are seen, and we are invited to the party...

A. Ok - we can be pedantic and talk about exactly 15 years ago to the date.

B. Memphis State is 100x worse than Rutgers was in 1997. At least Rutgers is a legitimate flagship state university with degrees that aren't written in crayon.

C. Who gives a crap what the exact records were of the teams in the league in 1997? There isn't a single school in the current Big East I wouldn't trade for any one of Pitt, Syracuse, Miami or Virginia Tech. I'd trade everyone but Louisville for Boston College.

D. Houston is not relevant in any way shape or form. 6 college football teams draw higher ratings in their own city than Houston does. They aren't relevant playing local rivals like Rice and Tulane. Does anyone think for a second anyone in Houston gives a damn about them playing Rutgers or San Diego State?

E. You do remember the last MWC team that was going to save the conference right? The one that never actually played a game in the league. I'm not so much mocking Boise State, as mocking the idea that they are somehow going to save the league.

F. Appreciate what fact? That the Big East was part of the BCS in the past and just because the system hasn't changed yet the other leagues still pat it on the head for another couple of years. The only thing about the Big East that is in the national discussion is which school is going to get poached next.

You guys are welcome to talk each other into thinking this doesn't blow. We don't all have to drink your Kool Aid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I needed food and had billions in my pocket, yes I would. So would you. So will NBC, although billions might be just a tad optimistic.

Sorry, but I generally don't go into Subway and offer $10,000 for a sandwich when they are selling it for $5.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
A. Ok - we can be pedantic and talk about exactly 15 years ago to the date.

B. Memphis State is 100x worse than Rutgers was in 1997. At least Rutgers is a legitimate flagship state university with degrees that aren't written in crayon.

C. Who gives a crap what the exact records were of the teams in the league in 1997? There isn't a single school in the current Big East I wouldn't trade for any one of Pitt, Syracuse, Miami or Virginia Tech. I'd trade everyone but Louisville for Boston College.

D. Houston is not relevant in any way shape or form. 6 college football teams draw higher ratings in their own city than Houston does. They aren't relevant playing local rivals like Rice and Tulane. Does anyone think for a second anyone in Houston gives a damn about them playing Rutgers or San Diego State?

E. You do remember the last MWC team that was going to save the conference right? The one that never actually played a game in the league. I'm not so much mocking Boise State, as mocking the idea that they are somehow going to save the league.

F. Appreciate what fact? That the Big East was part of the BCS in the past and just because the system hasn't changed yet the other leagues still pat it on the head for another couple of years. The only thing about the Big East that is in the national discussion is which school is going to get poached next.

You guys are welcome to talk each other into thinking this doesn't blow. We don't all have to drink your Kool Aid.

It's amazing how often I have read your posts and have had no idea what you want this school or this league to do. What do you want?!? Really, I am asking you once and for all, what do you want UConn or the Big East to do?!?

A) I already stated that the exact 15 year thing was up to Gars' interpretation, not mine, since it was his post that you were responding to.
B) Memphis is not 100x worse than Rutgers '97, because Rutgers '97 was the worst 1-AA football team for the longest time without question. They were famously bad.
C) Yeah, indeed, who gives a crap about records in 1997. Because records in 1997, or better yet, the makeup of the Big East in 1997, doesn't change a damned thing about what we can do for UConn today.
D) If being ranked in the top 25 and beating Penn State in a bowl game is not being relevant, then I wish that UConn wasn't relevant last year.
E) TCU wasn't coming to save the league; they were coming to help grow it. Boise State is LITERALLY saving the league. There is a difference whether you like it or not.
F) If we win the Big East this year, we go to a BCS bowl. Period.

Now YOU are welcome to talk to whomever else you wish about how much the situation stinks and that the Big East should include teams like Miami and Virginia Tech, but when you're ready to wake up to the reality that they aren't coming back, we can actually discuss things like possible new tv contracts and hoping for the best for our future. There is no Kool Aid to drink. There is just reality. How's that for you?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's amazing how often I have read your posts and have had no idea what you want this school or this league to do. What do you want?!? Really, I am asking you once and for all, what do you want UConn or the Big East to do?!?

A) I already stated that the exact 15 year thing was up to Gars' interpretation, not mine, since it was his post that you were responding to.
B) Memphis is not 100x worse than Rutgers '97, because Rutgers '97 was the worst 1-AA football team for the longest time without question. They were famously bad.
C) Yeah, indeed, who gives a crap about records in 1997. Because records in 1997, or better yet, the makeup of the Big East in 1997, doesn't change a damned thing about what we can do for UConn today.
D) If being ranked in the top 25 and beating Penn State in a bowl game is not being relevant, then I wish that UConn wasn't relevant last year.
E) TCU wasn't coming to save the league; they were coming to help grow it. Boise State is LITERALLY saving the league. There is a difference whether you like it or not.
F) If we win the Big East this year, we go to a BCS bowl. Period.

Now YOU are welcome to talk to whomever else you wish about how much the situation stinks and that the Big East should include teams like Miami and Virginia Tech, but when you're ready to wake up to the reality that they aren't coming back, we can actually discuss things like possible new tv contracts and hoping for the best for our future. There is no Kool Aid to drink. There is just reality. How's that for you?

Well like everyone but Carl I want UConn in another league. Sorry, months of nonsense about these new schools and NBC has worn on me. I'll leave it alone - the glass half full nonsense wears on me when not only is the glass not half full - the floor is wet, the glass is shattered and I've got a giant shard (Memphis) of glass sticking in my big toe.

I don't really feel like arguing about it, but relevance in college football does not necessarily match with on field results. Houston isn't relevant and will never be relevant. When you are the 7th most popular team in your home city in a year when you did what you pointed out they did - what else do you need to know?

TCU was a big deal for the same reason Boise State is - they were going to magically keep the Big East's head above water in the formulas. It's a pointless exercise - the second the powers can change the formula you can be damned sure it's going to change.

You don't get that Memphis is a skank that you don't want to be associated with. Rutgers had God-awful football teams. Memphis is a God-awful 'University'. UConn being associated with Memphis is a disgrace. There is a pretty damn big difference between a legitimate University with a bad football team like Rutgers and the University of Memphis.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if u took ucf girls, uh bball recruiting, memphis bball coach and team, rutgers the school and renamed it new joisey, bsu's fball team, sdsu weather and put it all together.....that would be a good school that i wouldn't mind the BE add

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I generally don't go into Subway and offer $10,000 for a sandwich when they are selling it for $5.

Sure, because you have other better choices available to you. If you didn't, needed to eat and had the money available, you would pay whatever the asking price was or you would die. That is the choice NBC Sports is facing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well like everyone but Carl I want UConn in another league. Sorry, months of nonsense about these new schools and NBC has worn on me. I'll leave it alone - the glass half full nonsense wears on me when not only is the glass not half full - the floor is wet, the glass is shattered and I've got a giant shard (Memphis) of glass sticking in my big toe.

I don't really feel like arguing about it, but relevance in college football does not necessarily match with on field results. Houston isn't relevant and will never be relevant. When you are the 7th most popular team in your home city in a year when you did what you pointed out they did - what else do you need to know?

TCU was a big deal for the same reason Boise State is - they were going to magically keep the Big East's head above water in the formulas. It's a pointless exercise - the second the powers can change the formula you can be damned sure it's going to change.

You don't get that Memphis is a skank that you don't want to be associated with. Rutgers had God-awful football teams. Memphis is a God-awful 'University'. UConn being associated with Memphis is a disgrace. There is a pretty damn big difference between a legitimate University with a bad football team like Rutgers and the University of Memphis.

Yet again, you just simply refuse to answer the question of what you want UConn or the Big East to do. You do realize that even if you want UConn in a different league, we have to be invited, right? So what's your gameplan for the university, now that we have no other invite? I'm guessing you won't answer that either.

I agree with your statement that you don't really feel like arguing about it, because I don't feel like arguing about it either. But just let me in on what you think the school should do in order to remove the Memphis shard of glass from your big toe, that's all...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yet again, you just simply refuse to answer the question of what you want UConn or the Big East to do. You do realize that even if you want UConn in a different league, we have to be invited, right? So what's your gameplan for the university, now that we have no other invite? I'm guessing you won't answer that either.

I agree with your statement that you don't really feel like arguing about it, because I don't feel like arguing about it either. But just let me in on what you think the school should do in order to remove the Memphis shard of glass from your big toe, that's all...

What answer would you like? Obviously there is nothing they can do now. Had I been able to play Big East God I would not have expanded past 9 or 10 on the football side. It's not like 11 and 12 have any marginal value and the championship game is worthless. Assuming that Boise needed SDSU in order to join, I'd send Temple and Memphis back to from where they came.

I'm not the athletic director or university president. Just because I don't have the relationships to get UConn into another league doesn't mean I can't complain about how shi%&y this one is. I don't work there, it's not my job to fix the problem - I spend a ton of money supporting the program and going to games - that's about all I can do.

I haven't blamed anyone at the school or in the league office for the problem. The league's problem was that the individual schools weren't strong enough to build a collective strong enough to compete with the other major leagues. It's been obvious for a number of years where this was headed - I had hoped that when the poachers came UConn would be an attractive pelt but that hasn't been the case thusfar.

I certainly hope they fix it and fix it soon, because if they don't this program as we know it is done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sure, because you have other better choices available to you. If you didn't, needed to eat and had the money available, you would pay whatever the asking price was or you would die. That is the choice NBC Sports is facing.

If you honestly believe that I don't know what to tell you. First of all NBC Sports doesn't die without the Big East. Secondly, the Big East is hardly in any position to hold out and play hardball. Thirdly, it's much more likely that a bad financial deal sinks the network than a lack of 3rd tier college football games.

I mean really. Think about it for a one second. Is NBC Sports going to become a major network just by adding the rights to UConn/Louisville/Notre Dame/Villanova/Marquette/Georgetown/St. John's basketball and Boise State football?

15 million a year for the 12 football teams is 1.8 BILLION DOLLARS over a decade before the basketball schools see a cent.

That deal still leaves the Big East well behind in revenue - and is so far beyond a realistic result it's not even funny.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What answer would you like? Obviously there is nothing they can do now. Had I been able to play Big East God I would not have expanded past 9 or 10 on the football side. It's not like 11 and 12 have any marginal value and the championship game is worthless. Assuming that Boise needed SDSU in order to join, I'd send Temple and Memphis back to from where they came.

I'm not the athletic director or university president. Just because I don't have the relationships to get UConn into another league doesn't mean I can't complain about how shi%&y this one is. I don't work there, it's not my job to fix the problem - I spend a ton of money supporting the program and going to games - that's about all I can do.

I haven't blamed anyone at the school or in the league office for the problem. The league's problem was that the individual schools weren't strong enough to build a collective strong enough to compete with the other major leagues. It's been obvious for a number of years where this was headed - I had hoped that when the poachers came UConn would be an attractive pelt but that hasn't been the case thusfar.

I certainly hope they fix it and fix it soon, because if they don't this program as we know it is done.

This was the post that I wanted to see from you the whole time. I agree with you on many of your statements. There is nothing they can do now, and the individual schools were not strong enough to build a collective that could compete with the other major leagues. Those are points that I think are unarguably true. I guess what has perplexed me are your other posts that seem to take a shot at those that are hoping the new league contract negotiations can bring something good, or at least something better than what we have now. That's what this NBC thread is about, I think.

I think we could actually have a good discussion about whether or not this 12 team league is stronger than it would have been at 9 or 10 without the championship game, and I would love to hear everyone's take on that. For my part, I am just hoping that the powers that be (including consultants like Tagliabue) have made the moves they did with tv negotiations in mind. And I think that it is almost certain that we will at least double what we get now in the current deal, so let's see how it turns out for UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can we stop the fast food comparisons to tv network decisions?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think we could actually have a good discussion about whether or not this 12 team league is stronger than it would have been at 9 or 10 without the championship game, and I would love to hear everyone's take on that. .

It keeps many football minds happy and wards off the MWC/CUSA confab playoff. From here on in the BE will be the best 12 football teams not in the other 5 conferences.

If you want to get ugly imagine the BE at 8 teams and LU and UConn getting poached. The 6 survivors would be begging to get back in the CUSA or join the CUSA/MWC playoff. With 13 teams (with Navy) and its reasonable to think the conference will survive any raids. Add Air Force or whoever and its a long way away from the remainders in the MAC or Sun Belt or Confab.

It's a regional network -- with al la carte programming coming that might be the best approach anyway. Higher tier 3 rights to major Regionals

There's this whole story about the B12 and SEC not having enough product for their own networks and Tier 3.

Reaction Score
I mean really. Think about it for a one second. Is NBC Sports going to become a major network just by adding the rights to UConn/Louisville/Notre Dame/Villanova/Marquette/Georgetown/St. John's basketball and Boise State football?

Speaking for myself as a UConn fan adding the content you listed will make them a major network in my household. I don't know how many other households this will be true for but that content alone would make me watch that network about 1000% more than I currently do. It's far from scientific but I'd wager that the majority of UConn fans would also be tuning in a great deal more than they do now as well. I can't quantify that but it certainly counts for something.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
All I can say is that it bodes well for the UConn brand that SNY is pleased with our showing on their network. One can only hope that the ACC looks at those figures, looks at how BCU performs and has a certain amount of buyer's remorse.

Reaction Score

I don't have the time to go through all of your negative BE posts, but you are DEAD wrong on Houston and San Diego State as far as TV ratings.

Houston outdraws B12 schools for TV ratings where they are right now in the CUSA. Simply stating the fact the Houston has no draw in their own city just shows one of the many ignorant statements you have made. Their TV ratings will only improve in the BE. Houston could dominate the Houston media market.

Read this article and get some ideas:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/09/01/big-12-should-snap-up-the-university-of-houston/

Take a look at some of the following ratings data for the Houston market:
8.1 Houston vs. Texas Tech (2009)
5.9 Average ratings of Big 12 games on ESPN in 2009
5.8 Average ratings of Big 12 games on ESPN in 2010
5.5 Average ratings of Big 12 games on ABC in 2010
4.7 Average ratings of Big 12 games on ABC in 2009
4.7 Houston vs. East Carolina (2009)
4.5 Houston vs. UTEP (2010)
1.5 Average ratings of Big 12 games not feature Texas-based schools
Same thing can be said for SDSU. They outdrew all the PAC-12 schools in San Diego. They got HUGE upside as far as media penetration in that market.

I realize some people will always take the glass half empty approach. However, it could be beyond stupid to think all those former CUSA/MWC schools would stay the same once they get access to better TV coverage and more money for their sports programs. If you just look at USF, Cincy and UL on how far they have came since they joined the BE, you could easily see potential in all the new comers. In addition, many schools currently are in BCS conferences were at lower conferences at one point or another. As for that school in Idaho you made fun of, they are one of the better TV draws in the college football.

Reaction Score
This was the post that I wanted to see from you the whole time. I agree with you on many of your statements. There is nothing they can do now, and the individual schools were not strong enough to build a collective that could compete with the other major leagues. Those are points that I think are unarguably true. I guess what has perplexed me are your other posts that seem to take a shot at those that are hoping the new league contract negotiations can bring something good, or at least something better than what we have now. That's what this NBC thread is about, I think.

I think we could actually have a good discussion about whether or not this 12 team league is stronger than it would have been at 9 or 10 without the championship game, and I would love to hear everyone's take on that. For my part, I am just hoping that the powers that be (including consultants like Tagliabue) have made the moves they did with tv negotiations in mind. And I think that it is almost certain that we will at least double what we get now in the current deal, so let's see how it turns out for UConn.

going from 10 to 12 was not a football move. Memphis and Temple did not bring enough value to justify it from a football perspective. It was an act to rebuild the basketball conference with schools that played football.

If we stay in the conference, I'm basically indifferent. But I think the additions were meant to keep the football and hoops schools together if UConn and/or LV left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom