NBC Sports might move 1,000 jobs to Stamford | The Boneyard

NBC Sports might move 1,000 jobs to Stamford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Courant is reporting that NBC Sports might move 1,000 jobs to Stamford. Connecticut could be the home to two major sports networks. In lieu of taxes maybe Malloy can get NBC to underwrite the largest college tv contract ever with the revamped Big East.

Reaction Score
The Courant is reporting that NBC Sports might move 1,000 jobs to Stamford. Connecticut could be the home to two major sports networks. In lieu of tax abatements maybe Malloy can get NBC to underwrite the largest college tv contract ever with the revamped Big East.

That would be nice if they did that. But I think the Big East is done no matter what at this point. It's become crystal clear that the BBall schools are not willing to do what it would take to stay a major or even semi major conference so we might as well pack it in.

I'm definitely happy about NBC Sports potentially moving to Stamford though. Definitely good news for CT.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's become crystal clear that the BBall schools are not willing to do what it would take to stay a major or even semi major conference so we might as well pack it in.
And what the heck would that be??? What could St. Johns or Seton Hall have done to keep SU and Pitt from leaving???

Reaction Score
Talk about timing. Two threads on the same topic at the exact same time.

Please continue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How can this be? Whaler told us ESPN was omnipotent.

Reaction Score
That would be nice if they did that. But I think the Big East is done no matter what at this point. It's become crystal clear that the BBall schools are not willing to do what it would take to stay a major or even semi major conference so we might as well pack it in.

I'm definitely happy about NBC Sports potentially moving to Stamford though. Definitely good news for CT.

That is an utterly ridiculous post. That is not clear from what has happened or been reported at all.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This has got me thinking. Syracuse is known for their sports broadcasting program and they put out many announcers. With ESPN in CT, and now with NBC Sports in state...UConn should look at creating a Sports Broadcasting program and invest heavily in it. One, it would be a great recruiting tool, as I am sure that many athletes would be interested in pursuing that field. And two, it would be a natural fit with the in-state companies and opportunities for interships, guest proffessors, etc.

Reaction Score
This has got me thinking. Syracuse is known for their sports broadcasting program and they put out many announcers. With ESPN in CT, and now with NBC Sports in state...UConn should look at creating a Sports Broadcasting program and invest heavily in it. One, it would be a great recruiting tool, as I am sure that many athletes would be interested in pursuing that field. And two, it would be a natural fit with the in-state companies and opportunities for interships, guest proffessors, etc.

Isn't that called the CT School of Broadcasting?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
That was a joke son. Uconn has a pretty solid journalism and communications degree programs.

Sorry...sarcasm is sometime tough to pick up on a message board. And with the average intelligence of some trolls we get around here, I have learned not to assume that someone is being sarcastic;)

I know that UConn has a pretty good journalism and communications degree program. But I am pretty sure that they do not have a sports journalism major like Syracuse does. It may be worth into creating that major given our position in the sports TV market place and the likely interest level it would probably get.

....plus, then maybe Jeremy Lamb could have taken a sports journalism class and learned not to look like he was about to fall asleep and had no interest in talking to the reporter during each of his interviews this past year!:) (using the emotical to signal my sarcasm).

Reaction Score
ESPN and ABC sports are run out of NYC. That is where the corporate offices resides and all major decisions are made. ESPN , Bristol is just the operation center not the major decision center.

Reaction Score
I was journalism major - good program, but they do absolutely nothing with broadcast journalism, or at least that was the case in the mid-90's. Great idea to expand that department - natural fit given ESPN & hopefully NBC in CT.

Reaction Score
ESPN and ABC sports are run out of NYC. That is where the corporate offices resides and all major decisions are made. ESPN , Bristol is just the operation center not the major decision center.
Huh? You may want to do a little more research. Top execs split their time in ny and Bristol but most of espn's business is based out of Bristol. Just about every major dept and exec is in Bristol. Biggest exception is the ad sales and marketing team which is in ny.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FWIW, Versus (and Outdoor Life before the name change) have been operated out of Stamford from day one nearly two decades ago. This could very well be NBC consolodating their sports networks at what had been Versus' offices & facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom