NBC / ESPN Hybrid TV Contract? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBC / ESPN Hybrid TV Contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its never going to happen.

What won't happen and why? NBC/ESPN splitting the deal? Is that because they won't work together or because the BE won't stay intact long enough to get a new deal? Or are you saying that NBC won't put us on broadcast? In someways, that's a smart move. Perception is an important tool. If they buy the BE broadcast rights and then hype the games, (against pushing competive games?) then public perception will shift somewhat.

Reaction Score
Its never going to happen.

I think this dude works for ESPN. Just my opinion. Sorry for the ad hominem, can't help myself at this point with you.

On an open market, with no existing contracts in place, the Big East conference is free to sell it's sports product broadcasting rights to whomever, and however the conference chooses. I think the Big East leadership is a hell of a lot smarter than the ACC leadership, as I've said for years now - just misguided in the business of intercollegiate athletics large scale, for so long. THat's changed, and I'm highly doubtful that the big east is going to be interested in an all inclusive packages for the entire conference, unless it's absolutely phenomenal and matches every thing the conference should be looking for in all respects from scheduling, to time slots, to exposure - to a T. THe chances of that? Slim, I think.

That means the Big East lays out it's inventory, and I'm expecting that by the time September rolls around, unlike the other football conferences in the land struggling with scheduling large scale conferences in the future, the Big EAst is going to be able to lay out on one table, a schedule plan for football, across the time zones, to reach as many as of those 32 million television spread across each media market during college football primetime as possible, that the various media companies can look at, and know exactly what they're going to be able to work with.

That also means that the men's b-ball tournament at MSG, can be layed out on another table, for auction to the highest bidder. That means that the men's b-ball regular season can be layed out on another table for auction to the highest bidder.....the football championship game rights right next to it.

It means that each of those things, as well as Olympics sports, baseball, lacrosse, women's basketball and thier tournament........can also be broken down into what tiers of broadcasting are for sale, and for whom.

IT may be - that for schools like UConn, Louisville, Georgetown....for example, that a certain tier of broadcasting rights simply won't be on the table for sale with the conference rights, or each school will be able to have it's own table if they choose for certian rights, if they're available, or certain schools may choose to bundle together....in their own local regions.....and put a certain tier up for sale.

WHat it takes, is people that know what the F8cK their doing when it comes to dealing with business on this scale......AND also know what the value of those products are, and when they should be on TV, and where.

I'm quite confident in the future of the big east.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think this dude works for ESPN. Just my opinion. Sorry for the ad hominem, can't help myself at this point with you.

On an open market, with no existing contracts in place, the Big East conference is free to sell it's sports product broadcasting rights to whomever, and however the conference chooses. I think the Big East leadership is a hell of a lot smarter than the ACC leadership, as I've said for years now - just misguided in the business of intercollegiate athletics large scale, for so long. THat's changed, and I'm highly doubtful that the big east is going to be interested in an all inclusive packages for the entire conference, unless it's absolutely phenomenal and matches every thing the conference should be looking for in all respects from scheduling, to time slots, to exposure - to a T. THe chances of that? Slim, I think.

That means the Big East lays out it's inventory, and I'm expecting that by the time September rolls around, unlike the other football conferences in the land struggling with scheduling large scale conferences in the future, the Big EAst is going to be able to lay out on one table, a schedule plan for football, across the time zones, to reach as many as of those 32 million television spread across each media market during college football primetime as possible, that the various media companies can look at, and know exactly what they're going to be able to work with.

That also means that the men's b-ball tournament at MSG, can be layed out on another table, for auction to the highest bidder. That means that the men's b-ball regular season can be layed out on another table for auction to the highest bidder.....the football championship game rights right next to it.

It means that each of those things, as well as Olympics sports, baseball, lacrosse, women's basketball and thier tournament........can also be broken down into what tiers of broadcasting are for sale, and for whom.

IT may be - that for schools like UConn, Louisville, Georgetown....for example, that a certain tier of broadcasting rights simply won't be on the table for sale with the conference rights, or each school will be able to have it's own table if they choose for certian rights, if they're available, or certain schools may choose to bundle together....in their own local regions.....and put a certain tier up for sale.

WHat it takes, is people that know what the F8cK their doing when it comes to dealing with business on this scale......AND also know what the value of those products are, and when they should be on TV, and where.

I'm quite confident in the future of the big east.

And that's the part that scare the heck out of most of us.

Reaction Score
You could not be more wrong. Exposure is nice, though you still haven't come to understand that no network is going to pay for, nor is anyone going to watch Temple-SDSU football games. In this day and age, it's strictly about the money brought in from TV contracts, that's what shapes who is in what conference. It's the reason why the ACC is looking so bad right now. They get PLENTY of exposure from ESPN, but they've still got numerous members who want out because of a bad TV deal.

Nope, you're wrong. All I have to say is one word. Soccer. People are actually watching soccer now. That's all you need to know about where television is going, and what's happening with the value of sports. Males b/w the ages of 18-49. People in that demographic, most definitely will watch Temple v. SDSU, especially in their regional areas, as long as it's promoted and available when people tend to watch college football, and is easily accessible. And they're not watching in Philly, just because they've gone 5x on SDSU to cover the spread at home. It's got to be marketed, and it's got to be available, easily, when people tend to watch college football.

That's the problem with the ESPN model. YOU simply can't keep adding new channels to the cable lineup and have a multidimensional, regional approach to broadcasting. ESPN simply doesn't have the capability to put a BIg east football game on TV in Philly, at 3:30pm on a Saturday, and at the same time, have 3:30 pm Big EAst game on in Houston, and at the same time have a big east game on TV in Orlando, all at 3:30pm on Saturday, and not take up three different channels national broadcast slots at the same time.

They don't have the platform to do it. THe only way they can have the same regional, multidimensional approach, as say a FOX or NBC network of broadcasting, is via online services.

In the past, the Big EASt leadership when it came to braodcasting contracts. didn't give a about putting football out properly, and were ahppy to have basketball on ESPN and put football on weeknights. It was a convenience for ESPN. It's also one of the many, many reason that 1-A football institutions have been leaving the big east.

I"m curious to see what ESPN comes up with in the next few weeks. I personally, am not excited at all about the potential to have our regional capability as a conference, especially in football, going out via WatchESPN, espn3, rather than on an actual over the air network.

Last thing I'll say for awhile on this - is that it all hinges on playing good, competitive football and having a winner to watch. Time will tell, but the Big East has a proven trackrecord of carrying winning teams, and then having them leave.....until now..... while the ACC? Well.

The big east is also the only conference ever, to expel a team, for poor performance..........

Winning and being competitive - expected in teh big east.

You don't get the 10+ win season so easily - when you actually play tough games every week.

Reaction Score
BTW: What I wrote about football on Saturdays on 3:30pm.....also applies to say Big East basketball on a January wednesday night at 7:30pm.

ESPN doesn't have the platform, unless it's online services, to broadcast say....UConn v. Houston b-ball in the tri-state/new england area, and in houston.....and at the same time....have Georgetown v. Villanova on at 7:30pm in Washington and Philadelphia.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What won't happen and why? NBC/ESPN splitting the deal? Is that because they won't work together or because the BE won't stay intact long enough to get a new deal? Or are you saying that NBC won't put us on broadcast? In someways, that's a smart move. Perception is an important tool. If they buy the BE broadcast rights and then hype the games, (against pushing competive games?) then public perception will shift somewhat.

I don't see why NBC and ESPN would collaborate to broadcast Big East football. It doesn't make any sense.

I don't think NBC will put them on broadcast, I think it's more likely that NBC tries to put ND on NBCS at times like they have talked about in the past

I suspect that some league called the Big East will get a TV deal. Hard to say who is in it when it happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope, you're wrong. All I have to say is one word. Soccer. People are actually watching soccer now. That's all you need to know about where television is going, and what's happening with the value of sports. Males b/w the ages of 18-49. People in that demographic, most definitely will watch Temple v. SDSU, especially in their regional areas, as long as it's promoted and available when people tend to watch college football, and is easily accessible. And they're not watching in Philly, just because they've gone 5x on SDSU to cover the spread at home. It's got to be marketed, and it's got to be available, easily, when people tend to watch college football.

That's the problem with the ESPN model. YOU simply can't keep adding new channels to the cable lineup and have a multidimensional, regional approach to broadcasting. ESPN simply doesn't have the capability to put a BIg east football game on TV in Philly, at 3:30pm on a Saturday, and at the same time, have 3:30 pm Big EAst game on in Houston, and at the same time have a big east game on TV in Orlando, all at 3:30pm on Saturday, and not take up three different channels national broadcast slots at the same time.

They don't have the platform to do it. THe only way they can have the same regional, multidimensional approach, as say a FOX or NBC network of broadcasting, is via online services.

In the past, the Big EASt leadership when it came to braodcasting contracts. didn't give a about putting football out properly, and were ahppy to have basketball on ESPN and put football on weeknights. It was a convenience for ESPN. It's also one of the many, many reason that 1-A football institutions have been leaving the big east.

I"m curious to see what ESPN comes up with in the next few weeks. I personally, am not excited at all about the potential to have our regional capability as a conference, especially in football, going out via WatchESPN, espn3, rather than on an actual over the air network.

Last thing I'll say for awhile on this - is that it all hinges on playing good, competitive football and having a winner to watch. Time will tell, but the Big East has a proven trackrecord of carrying winning teams, and then having them leave.....until now..... while the ACC? Well.

The big east is also the only conference ever, to expel a team, for poor performance..........

Winning and being competitive - expected in teh big east.

You don't get the 10+ win season so easily - when you actually play tough games every week.

LOL. Expelled Temple and invited them back immediately.

Here is a fun fact about Temple. They have yet to win a MAC conference game against a team with a winning record. They are awesome!

Reaction Score
I don't see why NBC and ESPN would collaborate to broadcast Big East football. It doesn't make any sense.

I don't think NBC will put them on broadcast, I think it's more likely that NBC tries to put ND on NBCS at times like they have talked about in the past

I suspect that some league called the Big East will get a TV deal. Hard to say who is in it when it happens.

No it's not hard to say. THe list of what the conference will look like in 2013, and beyond is easy to find, and it's not changing. The only programs in limbo right now, are the ones leaving, and they'll have a great idea of what they're leaving, and how it compares to where they're going, in just a few months.

As I"ve said it before, if you look at the big east in 2013, with the ghost of basketball past holding your hand, it makes you feel sick. If you look at it in the present and future though? Different story. Makes me feel like we're in for a nice present come Christmas.

Reaction Score
LOL. Expelled Temple and invited them back immediately.

Here is a fun fact about Temple. They have yet to win a MAC conference game against a team with a winning record. They are awesome!

See, it's stuff like this that makes me 100% positive that you're full of baloney. Temple is a program that beat our team that went to the Fiesta Bowl by a score of 30-16. That completely embarrassed our former head coach's new squad on their home field last year. A program that's been on the rise for several years, since being given the reality check by the Big East conference, and a program that we at UConn, have struggled with in the past few years beating. 2003-2012 is immediately? Temple is going to be an all sports program.....BTW

For the basketball purists, the fact that John Chaney won all those games between 1982-2006, and never coached a big east basketball game should be sickening...unless you're a Villanova person.

The men of the cloth in this league, for way too long, were the passerby's in the story told in the simple passage in KIng James version of Luke 10:30-37.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't have the platform, unless it's online services, to broadcast say....UConn v. Houston b-ball in the tri-state/new england area, and in houston.....and at the same time....have Georgetown v. Villanova on at 7:30pm in Washington and Philadelphia.

This is factually inaccurate, your usual crap. ESPN puts multiple games on the same network for college football, college baseball, and college softball. They literally do it ALL THE TIME. They can even do it separately for SD and HD channels, which is what they will do for Super Regional coverage of the CWS in a week.

Reaction Score
This is factually inaccurate, your usual crap. ESPN puts multiple games on the same network for college football, college baseball, and college softball. They literally do it ALL THE TIME.

That's so huh? So - if I tune into whatever channel ESPN is on my TV system in San Diego on a fall Saturday at 7:30pm EST and see a certain football game.......somebody else can tune into ESPN on whatever channel ESPN is on their cable system in Houston at 7:30pm EST on that same fall Saturday and watch a different game? Or in Orlando? Or in Idaho? Or in Connecticut?

Everybody can tune into ESPN on a saturday night and watch different games depending on where they are in the country.......on the same channel........

Hey, maybe I"m wrong. Maybe nothing I ever have written has been anywhere near accurate.

Reaction Score
That's so huh? So - if I tune into whatever channel ESPN is on my TV system in San Diego on a fall Saturday at 7:30pm EST and see a certain football game.......somebody else can tune into ESPN on whatever channel ESPN is on their cable system in Houston at 7:30pm EST on that same fall Saturday and watch a different game? Or in Orlando? Or in Idaho? Or in Connecticut?

Everybody can tune into ESPN on a saturday night and watch different games depending on where they are in the country.......on the same channel........

Hey, maybe I"m wrong. Maybe nothing I ever have written has been anywhere near accurate.
You are wrong. ESPN shows regional games at the same time on the same network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ABC) all of the time. Kind of like how pro football shows different games to different parts of the country at the same time on the same network. ESPN puts out coverage maps every week that show the different games and where they are being shown. When they are not on in your area, you are often directed to ESPN3 or Game Plan to watch them. If you were being sarcastic, I apologize in advance, but if you were serious, you do need to join the rest of us in 2012.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
See, it's stuff like this that makes me 100% positive that you're full of baloney. Temple is a program that beat our team that went to the Fiesta Bowl by a score of 30-16. That completely embarrassed our former head coach's new squad on their home field last year. A program that's been on the rise for several years, since being given the reality check by the Big East conference, and a program that we at UConn, have struggled with in the past few years beating. 2003-2012 is immediately? Temple is going to be an all sports program.....BTW

For the basketball purists, the fact that John Chaney won all those games between 1982-2006, and never coached a big east basketball game should be sickening...unless you're a Villanova person.

The men of the cloth in this league, for way too long, were the passerby's in the story told in the simple passage in KIng James version of Luke 10:30-37.

They did beat UConn once. They also haven't beat a team in the MAC with a winning record. So what's more reflective of their quality?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No it's not hard to say. THe list of what the conference will look like in 2013, and beyond is easy to find, and it's not changing. The only programs in limbo right now, are the ones leaving, and they'll have a great idea of what they're leaving, and how it compares to where they're going, in just a few months.

As I"ve said it before, if you look at the big east in 2013, with the ghost of basketball past holding your hand, it makes you feel sick. If you look at it in the present and future though? Different story. Makes me feel like we're in for a nice present come Christmas.

So you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and state that Louisville, Boise, UConn, Rutgers and the however number many of dwarves today will all be committed to the league going forward when that next contact is signed.

Sure you are.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You are wrong. ESPN shows regional games at the same time on the same network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ABC) all of the time. Kind of like how pro football shows different games to different parts of the country at the same time on the same network. ESPN puts out coverage maps every week that show the different games and where they are being shown. When they are not on in your area, you are often directed to ESPN3 or Game Plan to watch them. If you were being sarcastic, I apologize in advance, but if you were serious, you do need to join the rest of us in 2012.
Not to mention the games on ESPN regional (aka ESPN+) are produced by ESPN and available locally (i.e. Big East Network games on SNY or WCTX in addition to the ESPN/ABC telecasts). Something along these lines needs to happen if we sign with NBC so that people who don't get NBCSN can watch a local UConn game if they don't have Comcast, for example. Since Comcast owns NBC it would really suck if college football fans became pawns (again -- remember the Pinstripe bowl almost being not available on cablevision) in these company's games.

Reaction Score
THere is a method to my madness people. I think you're all getting the importance of scheduling and what it means to the Big East moving forward.

The money isn't so much as important as scheduling. I swear, if UConn plays football on a Wednesday night again, there will be hell to pay.

THanks for finding me wrong.....BTW.

I was wrong. ESPN just might be able to deliver the games regionally as they should be - JUST LIKE THE NFL....gee when did I write that and get all peed on.....a few months ago?

The espn model still is what it is, you can't just keep adding channels to the cable provider networks and jack up the rates.

The fact that the Big 12 still doesn't have a new contract, just might give ESPN the window to keep the basketball products, and keep those competitors out, by getting Big East football on Saturdays, where it belongs.

We shall see!!

Have a nice weekend.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here is a question that perhaps deserves it's own thread (but I'll pose it here anyway); is a weeknight game a bad thing?

I've always believed that exposure is as good as money, because it essentially helps you generate money. Some here might feel that a weeknight game is a slight on a team because they aren't in Saturday "prime-time". But the upside is that you are the ONLY game on that night (or maybe one other, if there is a MAC game). You have the national tv audience at your disposal at 8pm (or at least the college football fans that don't mind watching a game when someone else's team is on). In my mind, that's a better scenario for UConn than being an 8pm Saturday night game going up against Alabama vs. Florida or ND vs. USC, isn't it? Maybe I'm alone on that one...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
ESPN Regional competes with Raycom and other Regional syndicators and put most of them out of business. It's the new consolidation model that NBC and CBS are paying lip service to.

Remember they produce the local shows . Owned by ESPN but not all the content they produce is ultimtaely destined for ABC/ESPN Tier 1 or 2 product. Some deals are with over the air statons (Channel 9) , some with cable or sattelite operators, some with other sports networks looking to fill some holes (SNY). Some with ESPN+. Soon it will be XBOX, etc. I think SNY is as close as we will see a BE Network from any deal.

>> ESPN Regional Television produces 500 sports programs a year for a variety of outlets, including ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, CBS and NBC. The largest syndicator of college sports programming in the U.S., ESPN Regional Television's rights include the Big East, Big Ten, Big 12 and Conference USA, in addition to several other conferences, along with institutional marketing agreements with the University of Kansas, Iowa State University and the University of South Florida. <<

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
THere is a method to my madness people. I think you're all getting the importance of scheduling and what it means to the Big East moving forward.

The money isn't so much as important as scheduling.
Have a nice weekend.

More Home and Away with Tennessee.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think MASN is closer to a Big East network. They show every random Big East game available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom