NBC/Comcast Still Needs Content | The Boneyard

NBC/Comcast Still Needs Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we all need to keep in mind that NBC/Comcast still currently has next to no college sports content. They had nothing on today that even remotely competed with ESPN. This is something they desperately want to change and I'm sure they really wanted to sign the Big East. I'm sure they will still have that chance if they wish and why wouldn't they want to help bolster the league by at least giving it a pretty substantial deal. They rehabilitated the NHL and are taking a chance on MLS. Big East basketball will still be a big draw and we will still have teams in huge markets. I don't think our BCS bid will be stripped so honestly I think things still are going to work out OK.

Reaction Score
I think we all need to keep in mind that NBC/Comcast still currently has next to no college sports content. They had nothing on today that even remotely competed with ESPN. This is something they desperately want to change and I'm sure they really wanted to sign the Big East. I'm sure they will still have that chance if they wish and why wouldn't they want to help bolster the league by at least giving it a pretty substantial deal. They rehabilitated the NHL and are taking a chance on MLS. Big East basketball will still be a big draw and we will still have teams in huge markets. I don't think our BCS bid will be stripped so honestly I think things still are going to work out OK.

Maybe the BE football teams will trade exposure for money. But that's going to be tough in this climate where money means everything.

Reaction Score
Maybe the BE football teams will trade exposure for money. But that's going to be tough in this climate where money means everything.

I just think that NBC will still make a reasonable offer assuming that we get up to 12 football teams and a championship game to go along with a 19 or 20 team basketball league that still includes UConn, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and still holds the BE tourney at MSG. Will it be ACC money, probably not but will it be better than what we get now and better than the MWC and CUSA, I honestly don't see how it wouldn't be.

Reaction Score
I just think that NBC will still make a reasonable offer assuming that we get up to 12 football teams and a championship game to go along with a 19 or 20 team basketball league that still includes UConn, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and still holds the BE tourney at MSG. Will it be ACC money, probably not but will it be better than what we get now and better than the MWC and CUSA, I honestly don't see how it wouldn't be.

12 teams would mean LESS money for schools. They need 9 teams, and if they go over that, the return will be small. I don't think NBC will put decent money behind it. It will be treated like MLS or "the Superstars" or some oddball events like that.

I would expect the football package to be less than what it is now. The basketball package would be interesting depending on how things shook out. It's very hard to tell what would happen in terms of basketball perception to the league. The swing of Cuse and Pitt to the ACC may initially make that league much more of a destination than the BE.

Reaction Score
12 teams would mean LESS money for schools. They need 9 teams, and if they go over that, the return will be small. I don't think NBC will put decent money behind it. It will be treated like MLS or "the Superstars" or some oddball events like that.

I would expect the football package to be less than what it is now. The basketball package would be interesting depending on how things shook out. It's very hard to tell what would happen in terms of basketball perception to the league. The swing of Cuse and Pitt to the ACC may initially make that league much more of a destination than the BE.

I just don't see why they wouldn't try to at least make it lucrative enough to help it thrive. It will be one of their few college sports properties and if they feel like it has growth potential I think they'll invest in it. Versus has Pac 12 football on right now but they are losing that next year I think when the Pac 12 goes to ESPN, Fox and the Pac 12 networks. I really think they hold the keys to the Big East's future at this point.

Reaction Score
I just don't see why they wouldn't try to at least make it lucrative enough to help it thrive. It will be their only college sports property and if they feel like it has growth potential I think they'll invest in it.

Because they are in it for ratings and money. How is giving more money to schools (who would use any money to cut their subsidies) supposed to improve the product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom