OT: - NBA Summer League: Is Chet Holmgren This Good? | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Summer League: Is Chet Holmgren This Good?

Reaction Score
He looks great. Some Larry Bird in him. NBA defenses will slow him down for a while in the beginning but his natural feel for the game and ability to pass and shoot over people should make him a very good player in time.

I really like his ability to make plays for his teammates or hit long jumpers in transition. He makes you pay either way and even if you play up on him, he’s too tall to stop from shooting. The fade away he’s got at that size is just icing on the cake.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He looks great. Some Larry Bird in him. NBA defenses will slow him down for a while in the beginning but his natural feel for the game and ability to pass and shoot over people should make him a very good player in time.

I really like his ability to make plays for his teammates or hit long jumpers in transition. He makes you pay either way and even if you play up on him, he’s too tall to stop from shooting. The fade away he’s got at that size is just icing on the cake.

Obvious hyperbole but that fade away is almost Kareem sky hook unstoppable. It's Dirk Nowitzki good with another 6" of height at the top between raw height and release point.

I don't think he becomes MVP level good and I don't know if he will be All-NBA first team good but he can be a legit top 10-15 player in the league. And I do think it's the physicality of the game that is the difference between those levels. His court awareness and ability to pass over the top of almost defense will be a great asset.

Reaction Score
I will admit that I haven’t really watched more than a game or two of his play at Gonzaga. But he seems like he could be a taller and more fragile version of Kevin Durant? Will be interesting to see if/when he breaks down during his first season. NBA is a grind.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While he was not playing against quality NBA talent you can see there is something special about his game - his handle is impressive for a 7 footer and the outside shot is so good it almost looks feathery.
Will he be an All Star? IF, and that is a big IF, he can stay healthy he has a good chance of being a top 20 player. Not a bad nights work.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Between high school rankings, college performance and now in the NBA, Holmgren has risen to the #2 position on my all-time Chet list.

Still has a ways to go to overtake current #1.

1657120181696.png

Reaction Score
Remember when threads like this talked about Zion Williamson being good?

Reaction Score
Changing your opinion based on 1 summer league game is crazy, there was just a thread a few weeks ago here about how he was a guaranteed bust and would never be good (albeit I haven't seen an overlap in posters). But yes, he's going to be very good

Reaction Score
I will admit that I haven’t really watched more than a game or two of his play at Gonzaga. But he seems like he could be a taller and more fragile version of Kevin Durant? Will be interesting to see if/when he breaks down during his first season. NBA is a grind.
That’s who I saw in those highlights, Durant. If he stays healthy, he’ll be a monster. For one, nobody’s blocking that jumper.

Reaction Score
Was surprised Lofton went undrafted, imo he was the best player on that U19 team that had Chet and Ivey on it and was making all the winning plays down the stretch vs France in the Gold medal game.

Reaction Score
Is he not?

I don’t think he is. I think his body at such a young age is already beyond the point of any healthy career expectations. Prove me wrong.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks he won’t be a great nba player either thinks nba basketball is still played like the 1980s, or he’ll be ruined by injuries. The former frankly don’t watch or pay attention to the nba, so their opinion doesn’t matter. The latter is a tbd, but he was worth that risk in the top 3.

Reaction Score
Maybe I read too many Hardy Boys books as a kid, but I always expect guys named Chet to be fat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom