NBA Scouts Eye Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels | The Boneyard

NBA Scouts Eye Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As for DD and RB I wouldn't read much into this, as scouts do look at Juniors quite often. They then track them closer next year unless they are NBA ready which these two are not. That's the benefit of having a AA (or NBA bound) senior on your team, he draws scouts.

Not much different than high school juniors with college scouts.

However Brimah may become collateral damage,

Reaction Score
Napier is easily a late first round pick, I would guess that's a consesus among scouts as well. Guys like ford or givony rarely mock well past pick 15-20.
Also that first scout who said Napier is more of a shotmaker than passing pg, that's false. Napiers assist% are outstanding , elite at this level. But he also has the ability to hit 5 threes in a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Scouts will look very carefully at Bazz's ability to get shots/make shots against taller, more physical guards like those at Memphis, Cincy, etc. Match ups in the NCAA tournament will play a role as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
However Brimah may become collateral damage,

Doubtful, for this year. Scouts like his length, but Brimah has only been playing for about 5 years and is undersized for a 7 footer. At the very least, he needs more experience, more girth, and demonstrate an ability to consistently out-rebound a 6'-1" point guard. He ain't the least bit ready to bang bodies with Fab Melo, let alone Dwight Howard or Kevin Love. I doubt the NBA has forgotten about the Thabeet experiment.

Reaction Score
Doubtful, for this year. Scouts like his length, but Brimah has only been playing for about 5 years and is undersized for a 7 footer. At the very least, he needs more experience, more girth, and demonstrate an ability to consistently out-rebound a 6'-1" point guard. He ain't the least bit ready to bang bodies with Fab Melo, let alone Dwight Howard or Kevin Love. I doubt the NBA has forgotten about the Thabeet experiment.

An undersized 7 footer? I didnt realize that was a thing.

Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with the scouts' appraisal.

For Bazz, it really comes down to how much they think his court-vision and scoring translates to the NBA, despite an undersized body.

For DD, it's a matter of physical strength and toughness, as well as being more active and assertive -- these are all issues we've pointed out ourselves.

For Boat, it's about demonstrating that he can be a true point guard and not just a smaller, poor-man's Allen Iverson.

I think Boat and DD can (and will) do a lot of great things next year that will convince scouts that they have what it takes to at least earn a look, and in DD's case maybe a first-round pick. Boat in particular will benefit from (finally) being the lead guard and being in a position to show off how well he can run a team and distribute.

For Brimah, I think Dieng is a very apt comparison, and even he didn't jump to the league until after his junior year (which I think is a reasonable projection for Brimah).

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with the scouts' appraisal.

For Bazz, it really comes down to how much they think his court-vision and scoring translates to the NBA, despite an undersized body.

For DD, it's a matter of physical strength and toughness, as well as being more active and assertive -- these are all issues we've pointed out ourselves.

For Boat, it's about demonstrating that he can be a true point guard and not just a smaller, poor-man's Allen Iverson.

I think Boat and DD can (and will) do a lot of great things next year that will convince scouts that they have what it takes to at least earn a look, and in DD's case maybe a first-round pick. Boat in particular will benefit from (finally) being the lead guard and being in a position to show off how well he can run a team and distribute.

For Brimah, I think Dieng is a very apt comparison, and even he didn't jump to the league until after his junior year (which I think is a reasonable projection for Brimah).

I think Bazz plays himself into the late lottery before all is said and done. Being in the Conversation for the Wooden and Cousy awards don't hurt. Does he belong in the lottery? Debatable.

Boat and Daniels would serve themselves well with one more year a piece in school. Daniels just isn't consistent and Boat (I think) is more comparable to Victor Page. I think Ollie knows this and is getting backroom advice from his NBA contacts. Not only can one more year a piece help these two develop more fully into NBA players, but when they are drafted, it's two more examples of how Ollie can get a kid (with enough work on their own part) into the NBA, which will boost recruiting no matter in what conference UConn plays.

Reaction Score
I've said this before and will say it until the draft. Barring some terrible injury, Shabazz is exactly the type of player that the stupid NBA organizations undervalue. He lacks some measurables and won't be dunking on anyone, but has qualities that teams that pick 25-30(read: Good Teams) covet : Savvy, production, shot-making, playmaking.

He is lining up perfectly to be gobbled up by a San Antonio or Miami and become an immediate contributor at backup PG.

Imagine 'Bazz 3pt% given the looks that Chalmers gets? he'd shoot like 50%.

Reaction Score
Shabazz's talent combined with NBA options playing around him is a scary thought. He has gradually become a better shooter every year and makes a ton of creative passes that don't always lead to assists given the sometimes marginal talent around him. If he can land in the right spot as a backup PG for a playoff team (late first round) I could see him having a long and successful career in the league. His sense of control and deadeye shooting is what separates him from guys like Siva that are similarly built.

Reaction Score
I've said this before and will say it until the draft. Barring some terrible injury, Shabazz is exactly the type of player that the stupid NBA organizations undervalue. He lacks some measurables and won't be dunking on anyone, but has qualities that teams that pick 25-30(read: Good Teams) covet : Savvy, production, shot-making, playmaking.

He is lining up perfectly to be gobbled up by a San Antonio or Miami and become an immediate contributor at backup PG.
I agree. It's why guys like Jared Sullinger fell in the draft. Many times being productive in college actually means you'll be productive in the NBA. Despite all the measurables like height, reach, vertical, etc.

Reaction Score
Brimah is listed at 217 lbs. He probably touches 217 after Thanksgiving dinner, soaking wet, with change in his pockets and holding a brick. He needs to add a few dozen pounds and fill out his body.

I agree he needs to add bulk, but whenever someone refers to being undersized it is usually a correlation of height aka Jeff Adrien was an undersized 4, because he was 6-5, not because of his body type.

Reaction Score

Imagine 'Bazz 3pt% given the looks that Chalmers gets? he'd shoot like 50%.
The higher the pick the worse it is for Bazz. Late round is ideal in terms of removing immediate expectations and that the team is secure enough to invest in Bazz. If a team does not have a point guard that would be the best case scenerio. For him its not when you go but who you go to.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree he needs to add bulk, but whenever someone refers to being undersized it is usually a correlation of height aka Jeff Adrien was an undersized 4, because he was 6-5, not because of his body type.
I didn't say he was a short center. I said undersized 7 footer. Usually=/= always, and undersized can relate to both height and width. Semantics at this point...

Reaction Score
Thabeet is 260 pounds as a 27 year old. And he still isn't very strong. Brimah is close to 220 at 20 years old. Brimah would be a load at 240-250. And Brimah offensive game is already as good as HT. There is a beast in Brimah just waiting to get out. Megatron should be fully formed by his junior year.

Reaction Score
An indicator damian lillard would be a success in the league was the fact he had numerous games where he's hit 5 threes. Napier is doing this vs competition lillard never even saw . I'm also not convinced 20 scouts show up for second round picks

D

Deleted member 3149

Tyler Ennis being predicted as a lottery pick is a complete joke. I realize that Shabazz is 3 years older and 1 inch shorter ...but really? Just seems dumb that people would pick him over Shabazz. I'll never understand the NBA draft

Reaction Score
I give a 15% chance that Boat doesn't jump to Europe after this year. I want him back, want him to take the reigns and run with it, but all his statements just leaves a gut feeling he's ready to jump ship at the first opportunity he gets, be it abroad or here.

Reaction Score
An indicator damian lillard would be a success in the league was the fact he had numerous games where he's hit 5 threes. Napier is doing this vs competition lillard never even saw . I'm also not convinced 20 scouts show up for second round picks

Damian Lillard also has the ability to throw down alley-oop, through the legs dunks (as seen in the dunk contest). I've never seen Bazz dunk besides one HS video. They aren't similar type players at all.

I do think most people here have the correct take on Bazz. Late first rounder, possible great role player for a good team. I think he 100% should be taken in the first round but I wouldn't be stunned if he falls a little. NBA GM's don't always display competency.

Reaction Score
I give a 15% chance that Boat doesn't jump to Europe after this year. I want him back, want him to take the reigns and run with it, but all his statements just leaves a gut feeling he's ready to jump ship at the first opportunity he gets, be it abroad or here.

Boats been talking like that since his freshman year, he's not going anywhere

Husky25

Reaction Score
Damian Lillard also has the ability to throw down alley-oop, through the legs dunks (as seen in the dunk contest). I've never seen Bazz dunk besides one HS video. They aren't similar type players at all.

I do think most people here have the correct take on Bazz. Late first rounder, possible great role player for a good team. I think he 100% should be taken in the first round but I wouldn't be stunned if he falls a little. NBA GM's don't always display competency.
For an American Collegiate basketball athlete, Europe is neither a goal, nor stepping stone. It is a consolation prize for getting cut by an NBA team.

The cost/benefit of leaving early for Europe is just too great.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Bazz plays himself into the late lottery before all is said and done. Being in the Conversation for the Wooden and Cousy awards don't hurt. Does he belong in the lottery? Debatable.

Boat and Daniels would serve themselves well with one more year a piece in school. Daniels just isn't consistent and Boat (I think) is more comparable to Victor Page. I think Ollie knows this and is getting backroom advice from his NBA contacts. Not only can one more year a piece help these two develop more fully into NBA players, but when they are drafted, it's two more examples of how Ollie can get a kid (with enough work on their own part) into the NBA, which will boost recruiting no matter in what conference UConn plays.

I see no chance he makes the lottery. I think he can play his way into the first round, and maybe up a few spots from the bottom. That's the best place for him anyway. He's not going to start in the NBA, but as bemayuc says, he's the type of player that GM's undervalue. After the first 15 picks, the smart GM sticks with proven, older college players.

It's simple really, in any draft there are 1-3 great players. Then another 2-5 very good players. The rest are gambles. When you pick a young kid with "upside" late in the draft, you just bought a Powerball ticket. It will often be worth nothing. But if you take a veteran, proven winner (Ainge has been good at this, with guys like Glen Davis and Sullinger) you probably get somebody who can at least play and earn a bench spot. In the lottery, every GM is picking only guys they think can be stars, because the league is driven by the top 20 players, often by the top 5. You don't win a championship without at least two top 25 players. There is no chance Napier will be a star, so he won't go that high. That said, there is a very good chance he plays in the league a long time, which you can't say for a lot of guys who will be picked higher.

Boat will go to Europe I expect. Daniels needs a lot more muscle or he is in danger of doing the same.

Reaction Score
Boats been talking like that since his freshman year, he's not going anywhere

Agree. Who ever heard of a star HS player from Chicago eager to skip the NBA and play his first year of pro ball overseas? You just don't grow up (i.e. play ball) that way in the hood.

Reaction Score

I'm not going to denigrate you like most posters do here , but I wasn't really comparing each as prospects. Just a specific skill , combined with his playmaking ability, he reminds me of steph curry like prospect.

Napier is mostly guarded by nba level athletes game to game .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom