NBA Draft Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Thread

Reaction Score
A long fall from grace.

For about a 20 year period from mid-80's in to the 00's I could rattle off Street and Smith, McD's and any other HS periodical for AA's, knew the college AA's and even most of the high level Europeans.

I also routinely watched 20-30 hours of CBB a week.

Tonight? I knew Wiseman and Achuwa and the two Florida St. kids. I kinda knew the kid from Dayton whose career was just destroyed tonight because he was the player of the year. And I knew there was one of the Ball kids because I read an article on him this week.

Otherwise? I rarely catch much beyond UConn and have no idea who these kids are.

So, get off my grass!! For you young whippersnappers out there that have all sorts of time to watch and know stuff, this is how you will feel in 2045.

That's happened to me over the past couple years too.
Could be what happens when you've been in the AAC for five years or more, your coaching and recruiting has fallen onto hard times and you have losing seasons for the first time in over 30 years.
Give the next couple years a try and you might be reborn!

Reaction Score
First time Duke didn't have a first round pick since 2010. And the first time since 2013 they didn't have a lottery pick. How many McDonald's All Americans were on last year's team?
In addition Kentucky had no players selected in the lottery for the first time in 11 years. So it was a different draft this year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In addition Kentucky had no players selected in the lottery for the first time in 11 years. So it was a different draft this year.

First time since 2000 no Duke, Kentucky or unc player in the lottery.

And that’s only because Jason Williams and Battier stayed in school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

the Q

Reaction Score

Plus athlete Euro guys are a decent risk. They can learn the skills, can’t add that kind of quickness

Reaction Score
May be preparing for next year. Could be they believe Whaley will fall into the second round next year with Bouknight and some others that stayed in school this year likely to be ahead of him..............
Well next year is the 2021 draft and their pick is in 2023

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
A long fall from grace.

For about a 20 year period from mid-80's in to the 00's I could rattle off Street and Smith, McD's and any other HS periodical for AA's, knew the college AA's and even most of the high level Europeans.

I also routinely watched 20-30 hours of CBB a week.

Tonight? I knew Wiseman and Achuwa and the two Florida St. kids. I kinda knew the kid from Dayton whose career was just destroyed tonight because he was the player of the year. And I knew there was one of the Ball kids because I read an article on him this week.

Otherwise? I rarely catch much beyond UConn and have no idea who these kids are.

So, get off my grass!! For you young whippersnappers out there that have all sorts of time to watch and know stuff, this is how you will feel in 2045.
it's neither a personal 'fall from grace' nor an age thing. cf, nba tv ratings, empty playground courts, fortnite, and speechifying in the past few years. feels to me that culture change ramped up aboot a decade ago when folks started talking more 'fashion' and 'collectability' for hoop kix than the quality and utility of them. i know a 30ish guy with a closet full of nikes but won't cut his grass when it's 'too hot,' and just hires someone. and, i have a bud from mexico who had a tradition at the courts to pound the phones and get the gang out in peak heat ('no one will be there!'). in his honor, we called it 'the salsa bowl' if it was hottest day. big fun -tongues wagging from exhaustion, buckets of gator juice, guys yellin' 'what u got? can't take the heat? here's a phone, call ur momma cuz u done!'
hey shoreliners! when is the last time that u saw the guilford courts off i95 jammed almost every nite in the summer? or bridebrook? only yesterday, you just showed up at a place. now, it's often more like calling around to schedule a 'play date.'
i help with a new haven city kids program, as well as some local sports stuff -they're all the same phenotypes. 'no, u don't need a gallon of water to go onna mile hike!'
and forget aboot kids making major cash by shoveling walks. obesity.
a few years back, when poker on tv was a thing, i would say 'people sitting around at home, watching other people sitting around and playing cards, and they call it sports.'
why do think that pro sports have seemingly become more aboot betting stuff and fantasy leagues? all painfully obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
May be preparing for next year. Could be they believe Whaley will fall into the second round next year with Bouknight and some others that stayed in school this year likely to be ahead of him..............
If Whaley can improve his post scoring game, and plays consistent, I could see him being a late 2nd rounder. The defense and rebounding is there, he defends the PnR really well which is why I can see him being effective on some NBA teams. Gotta love his heart and work ethic. If he had a jumper from deep I could see him being a 1st rounder. I think he’s better than Precious but what I think doesn’t really matter

Reaction Score
Edwards - that article was enlightening, I like him more after reading it and will be rooting for him to succeed. He was honest in the first interview, nothing wrong with that and the kids obviously had really loss in his life. That said, the top of this draft was thin and anyone of the 3 guys that coulda been #1 this year would be 4-10 types in a talent-rich draft. Historically that means they'll be some busts, going too high is almost always worse than going too low.

Knicks - I like the Obi pick, they need some excitement, scoring and upside - Obi's got all that and the fact that he's not a perfect player doesn't matter for a team that would suck regardless of who they drafted.
Celtics - I wanted them to take a big, Precious was my pick but I can get into the shooter pick. I don't really know Pritchard, but I like the pick - it always burns that San Antonio, Toronto of the NBA snag late first college stars that can walk right into the NBA as quality reserves. That's exactly what the Celtics need & if this kid can beat out Wannamaker then he makes a difference in 20-21.
Sixers-crap, they made the obvious smart moves, getting Curry is a game changer (what was Dallas thinking?!)
Charlotte - An uninteresting team is a welcome place for the Ball family side-show, I really hope the one-on-one game of MJ vs Father happens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Whaley can improve his post scoring game, and plays consistent, I could see him being a late 2nd rounder. The defense and rebounding is there, he defends the PnR really well which is why I can see him being effective on some NBA teams. Gotta love his heart and work ethic. If he had a jumper from deep I could see him being a 1st rounder. I think he’s better than Precious but what I think doesn’t really matter

People think Whaley is getting drafted? If he has a great year he might warrant a 2 way contract.

Reaction Score
Well next year is the 2021 draft and their pick is in 2023

Details, schmetails.:rolleyes:
I was actually taking a positive look at how much Whaley has progressed since he came to UConn and IF he shows a consistent outside shot to go with his defense and rebounding he could be a draft surprise. Just hoping for something good to happen to a guy who stuck it out here and worked very hard to better himself when DH seemed to make it clear during his first year coaching that there was no meaningful place for him on the team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because the Warriors were going to be one of the favorites to win it all, they are the most popular team in the NBA, and Klay is a Hall of Famer and one of the best shooters ever.

I just don't see Klay as must watch TV. Agree he is an all-time great shooter and a HOF player but I don't see him being the #1 on a championship team. He is Scottie Pippen

Reaction Score
Leonard Hamilton put two in as lottery picks...Patrick Williams #4 and Devin Vassell #11....the #4 tied FSU's former highest pick,,,Dave Cowens (way back in 1970).

Too bad last season was cut short....

the Q

Reaction Score
I just don't see Klay as must watch TV. Agree he is an all-time great shooter and a HOF player but I don't see him being the #1 on a championship team. He is Scottie Pippen

not even. But he is a very very good fit with the warriors squad.

frankly the dubs run the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

minus the Durant years, where they were just unbeatable

the Q

Reaction Score
With Hayward opting out, really wish Danny kept 30 and took Tillman.

then he could use the mle on Justin Holliday and get this squad really to roll.

Reaction Score
Leonard Hamilton put two in as lottery picks...Patrick Williams #4 and Devin Vassell #11....the #4 tied FSU's former highest pick,,,Dave Cowens (way back in 1970).

Too bad last season was cut short....
Reminded about a thought I had last night. Arizona had 2 players drafted in the first round and yet were kind of mediocre in the PAC-12 last season. What does that say about Sean Miller?

Reaction Score
Yikes.. Celtics really got shafted here. Just haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate to see it :)

Apparently there was an actual deal on the table to Indiana for Turner (in principle)

I'm curious what the thought process behind his opt out is? Does he think he's going to do better than 34 million per? That's insanity.

Reaction Score
Reminded about a thought I had last night. Arizona had 2 players drafted in the first round and yet were kind of mediocre in the PAC-12 last season. What does that say about Sean Miller?
If he keeps this up he'll really be sweating his job status

Reaction Score

You could see in their first loss (Baylor)...that the offense sputtered at times against defense....Arizona hit only 2 of their last 19 shots...

And rebounding wasn't that good. And Gettings missed 6 weeks with an injury...but averaged 4.2 RBs while playing...6th man...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's must watch TV when he gets hot, only a few players in NBA history can get in the zone like him (I've watched him live where he hit 14 threes against the Bulls and 10 straight threes in another game) but yes he's not a #1 for a contender...he's an excellent second option. His D has always been underrated as well, obviously nothing like Pippen defensively but he's a very good defender.

Klay Thompson CAREER HIGH 60 POINTS in 29 Minutes | 12.05.16

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom