NBA Draft Thread | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Pacers will forever be in limbo. Can’t wait for that 54th pick! Maybe they can draft a another worthless UCLA player a la TJ Leaf, they loved him at #18 smh

Reaction Score
A Knicks "fan" who doesn't watch much NBA anymore, but I really like Haliburton. Long, multi-faceted point guard who should thrive in the NBA's current trend of position-less basketball.

Okoro would be a nice pick for the Knicks too as I love his intensity and athleticism to help boost their D.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, this is a head scratcher. Unless they are trying to move up again, I don’t see why you move up 4 spots without knowing who will be available.

Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, this is a head scratcher. Unless they are trying to move up again, I don’t see why you move up 4 spots without knowing who will be available.

There's likely a group of 2-3 players who they know will be gone at 27 but at least one will be there at 23. It makes plenty of sense. Bane, Terry (who I want), and Flynn are their likely targets.

I'm a big proponent of getting your guy if there's one or two that you really like. The chances of 38 hitting aren't great anyway.

Reaction Score
Okoro would be a nice pick for the Knicks too as I love his intensity and athleticism to help boost their D.

He'd be another Knicks draft pick who can't shoot a lick in a league that values shooting above all else. He's the only Top 10 guy I don't want for the Knicks. That's not to knock his potential but in addition to wanting to avoid a complete non-shooter I don't trust the Knicks to develop someone as raw as Okoro.

Reaction Score
Yall see this? What is this kid thinking. He stands to mose millions bc of this stupid interview

He says he doesn't think about being the first player taken. He'll be ready when the time comes, but "other than that, I don't even care."

"To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

He goes on to say that he's an aspiring rapper. He's already recorded a few tracks with his older brother Bubba. So, like Damian Lillard? "But I really can rap," he says. "Dame, talking about -- I don't know what he's talking about. I'm rapping like Lil Baby." He says he won't release any songs until he's established in the NBA.

BoukofJames

Reaction Score
Yall see this? What is this kid thinking. He stands to mose millions bc of this stupid interview

He says he doesn't think about being the first player taken. He'll be ready when the time comes, but "other than that, I don't even care."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

He goes on to say that he's an aspiring rapper. He's already recorded a few tracks with his older brother Bubba. So, like Damian Lillard? "But I really can rap," he says. "Dame, talking about -- I don't know what he's talking about. I'm rapping like Lil Baby." He says he won't release any songs until he's established in the NBA.

yikes...

Reaction Score
There's likely a group of 2-3 players who they know will be gone at 27 but at least one will be there at 23. It makes plenty of sense. Bane, Terry (who I want), and Flynn are their likely targets.

I'm a big proponent of getting your guy if there's one or two that you really like. The chances of 38 hitting aren't great anyway.
I think the trade was to take Flynn, definitely risky because who knows if he's even there. They'll just buy a 2nd to replace the one they traded

BoukofJames

Reaction Score

I like Terry as well and this makes sense, I just think it’s weird that this didn’t go down during the draft when they had more visibility. I keep seeing Isaiah Stewart mocked to the Knicks, but I don’t think he’s someone worth trading up for. I am hoping they are targeting one of those guards at #23 and will just pick the best player available at #8

Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan I wouldn’t mind taking 2 PGs ... killian Hayes , then later on Terry/Anthony

Reaction Score
Boston resident who obviously is more of a C's fan as of this past season with our boy in blue. The Hayward to ATL talk last night was interesting, and that combined with Haywards extension deadline being pushed to tomorrow to me means that the teams are waiting to see if Ogonkwu is still on the board at #6, in which case they'll flip picks, send Hayward to ATL and I assume some mediocre big contract comes to C's potentially for a buyout.

I really hope the Celtics don't blow it up to get Harden, because if he's not happy in 3 months, he'll whine and get moved for pennies on the dollar, just not worth blowing it up for a strange player like Harden if there would still not be a proven frontcourt player in Boston.

Looking forward to tonight though because I don't care about football so I am BORED!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I don’t like guys like this.

But it happens. Jeter was the same way about baseball.

I still think alot more guys than we believe love what the game does for them than actually love the game.

Reaction Score
Boston resident who obviously is more of a C's fan as of this past season with our boy in blue. The Hayward to ATL talk last night was interesting, and that combined with Haywards extension deadline being pushed to tomorrow to me means that the teams are waiting to see if Ogonkwu is still on the board at #6, in which case they'll flip picks, send Hayward to ATL and I assume some mediocre big contract comes to C's potentially for a buyout.

I really hope the Celtics don't blow it up to get Harden, because if he's not happy in 3 months, he'll whine and get moved for pennies on the dollar, just not worth blowing it up for a strange player like Harden if there would still not be a proven frontcourt player in Boston.

Looking forward to tonight though because I don't care about football so I am BORED!

Celts aren't getting Harden.

Ogunkwu would be a dream. He may need a couple years to perform offensively at all, but his defense is just ridiculous. Should be a quicker adjustment for him than most.

Reaction Score
I don’t like guys like this.

But it happens. Jeter was the same way about baseball.

I still think alot more guys than we believe love what the game does for them than actually love the game.
Jeter was obsessed with baseball, when his team was knocked out he didn't watch games in October because it burned him up, not the same thing at all.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The 2020 Edition of second round steals:

Trevelin Queen - Sweet analytics guy. Shoots the 3, elite block and steal rates. His statistical projection is like Michael Carter-Williams with a 3 ball. But, he's older, small school competition. There's risk. But I'm loving the gamble.

Paul Reed- analytics beast. Legit 6-9, 220 pounds with a standing reach of 9-1. He can do it all....except shoot. Good rebounding and block rates. If Reed develops any kind of shot, he's a legit starter on a title team. Even without his shot there's a role for him as a small ball 5. He's taller than some of the center prospects going in round 1.

Payton Pritchard- Guy had a legit case to be NPOY this year. Analytically he checks a lot of box. Doesn't have a negative reach like Terry. He can be a reliable backup PG, a MLE caliber player.

Mason Jones- Starting to think the new market inefficiency is old guys. Jones projects to do a lot of good things in the NBA. He can shoot it, he can play some D. Those 2 things alone give him a chance. But, he also fouls a lot and turns the ball over too much. Playing with a good NBA PG would be huge for him to hopefully cut down on some of that.

Killian Tillie - if he stays healthy, he's probably a steal. the only reason he's on this list is injuries, it almost feels like cheating to include him. But a worthy gamble at some point.

Kaleb Wesson- a weird quandy. He's big, with a huge 7'2 wingspan. he can be a legit center. Plus he can shoot it, even from 3. He's got decent block and steal numbers. And supposedly has dropped some weight and looks great in work outs. And he can hit FTs at a decent clip (73%). But he's still not finishing well. part of that is his style, especially down low. He will need to work on that. But there are some tools here to carve out a nice career. Role could be a Brook Lopez type.

Reaction Score
Edwards could end up being a very good player but he also has potential bust written all over him. Would seem to depend in large measure on where he ends up, and even that might not matter.

This is about as unexciting a draft as I can remember.

I feel like this draft will have more than an average number of roleplayers. But there is not a lot of star potential. If I'm a team like the Knicks I'm just trading and trying to draft as many guys as can hoping someone sticks.

Maybe it's the generation of kids that have grown up wanting to be 3 pt assassins. Seems to be some good shooters in the draft that lack athleticism or other skills

Reaction Score
Ogunkwu would be a dream. He may need a couple years to perform offensively at all, but his defense is just ridiculous. Should be a quicker adjustment for him than most.

He's my pick for the steal of the draft--depending on when he goes, of course--and some reputable big boards have him as high as #3. After Bam Adebayo's emergence in the spotlight this year I wouldn't be surprised if Okongwu goes higher than many people have mocked him. Plus he shot 72% from the stripe, a good indicator that he has the potential to develop his 3PT shot. If you take his current skillset + athleticism/versatility + a 3PT shot in a few years you've got an All-Star and an ideal smallball five in today's NBA.

Gun to my head I'd probably take him #2 after LaMelo, even over Wiseman, who I think will be a Mitchell Robinson clone. I'd much rather take a skilled, versatile, smaller frontcourt player than a guy who may cap out as a rim-runner/shot-blocker archetype. The league has gone so far in favor of smaller players that some of these guys either can't be played in certain playoff series or they're a massive net negative if you're stubborn and play them anyway.

I've never liked Edwards, he strikes me as an Andrew Wiggins kind of dude but less talented. Not sure I'd take him in the top half of the lottery. I'm looking forward to seeing who has the stones to take Toppin. He's the closest thing we've seen to Amare Stoudemire but, unfortunately, that comparison is accurate on both ends of the floor. In an NBA where head-hunting/PnR mismatches are so prevalent I'd have a hard time taking a player like Toppin but he'll light up the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the generation of kids that have grown up wanting to be 3 pt assassins. Seems to be some good shooters in the draft that lack athleticism or other skills

I wouldn't be surprised to see less and less emphasis on athleticism with the success of guys like Duncan Robinson. Shooting is by far the single most important skill in today's NBA. You can't get singled out on defense and exploited as easily as you could 20 years ago where the opposition could just isolate you or post you up all game long.

50% of the Lakers offensive strategy in the Finals was to headhunt Robinson and put him in PnRs and they really didn't kill Miami with it. Team concepts really let you hide subpar defenders as long as they're smart and understand the scheme and rotations.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Edwards could end up being a very good player but he also has potential bust written all over him. Would seem to depend in large measure on where he ends up, and even that might not matter.

This is about as unexciting a draft as I can remember.
Couldn't agree more. Can't remember a draft where the top 3 prospects all seem so risky. I might like Wiseman the best of the bunch but he's far from a sure thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom