NBA Draft Lottery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind Jamal Murray. Athletic 2 who can stroke 3's. Yep. Thanks.

The Celtics are saturated at the athletic 2-spot. Bradley, Smart, Turner might take a "hometown" discount.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Celtics need a star, not more draft picks....
Which is why I'd keep the pick for Simmons and no one else. If they don't get Simmons trading the pick for more picks/players helps because it would allow them to flip them for a potential star. To me, the backcourt is fine. Thomas, Bradley, Turner, Smart. They could use a true 2 guard, but I wouldn't put that as a priority. Any position in the front court would be very welcome.

Reaction Score
The Celtics are saturated at the athletic 2-spot. Bradley, Smart, Turner might take a "hometown" discount.
Rather have Kris Dunn, people are sleeping on him...his game reminds me so much of Westbrook, does he have the explosion like Westbrook maybe not, but he plays just like him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Beasley was more impressive than Simmons in college, both statistically and in terms of the eye test, and he fizzled out pretty quickly. There are very few guys who are talented enough to stay in the NBA with a terrible work ethic.

Simmons is the only freshman in the history of the NCAA to be 6'9" and average 5 assists a game.

Michael Beasley was a very good scorer and rebounder.

What is your basis for suggesting that Simmons had a terrible work ethic?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't have a horse in the race, as I don't follow an NBA team. However, I think Simmons is only missing a jump shot..which can be learned. He's not a MKG guy with an awkward shot...he just needs to be in the gym. He rebounds, passes and can handle the ball. I'd love Simmons on my team if I had one. I like Ingram too. Short term he's weak/skinny, but if he works on his body, he'll be a monster. Jamal Murray reminds me of the Celts Isaiah Thomas. Quick, undersized, good shooter. I'm not a big Kris Dunn fan. I like Buddy Hield, but in the late lottery. He strikes me as a guy who can come off the bench and shoot the lights out. He's not a guy who can carry a team or get shots for himself.

If I were the Celtics, I'd keep the pick if Simmons was available. Otherwise, I'd think I'd try to trade. Not sure what to expect for the #2-3 pick...but getting more picks/players is always smart.

I agree with a lot of this, but Jamal Murray is 6'4" -- literally 6-7 inches taller than IT. And IT's quicker. Both good shooters.

Reaction Score

Murray is a better shooter than all of them. In a league that's going small I don't think you can have too many athletic shooters. Turner and smart are so so shooters at best. Bradley has a nice stroke from 3 but his in between game is average. Don't they have like 3 first rounders? I wouldn't mind them going with poeltl with a later pick if the opportunity presents itself

Reaction Score
Murray is a better shooter than all of them. In a league that's going small I don't think you can have too many athletic shooters. Turner and smart are so so shooters at best. Bradley has a nice stroke from 3 but his in between game is average. Don't they have like 3 first rounders? I wouldn't mind them going with poeltl with a later pick if the opportunity presents itself
Brad Stevens knows exactly what he is doing, getting guys who can rebound and defend, I don't see Murray being a guy he falls in love with, not his type of player.

Reaction Score
I do like Murray -- definitely more than Hield or Dunn.

I love Dunn too. But I worry if down the road a back court of Dunn and smart would have difficulty stretching the defense. Athleticism and defense would be through the roof too. Especially if they kept Bradley.

Reaction Score
Bennett was a wish upon a star pick, he did nothing at UNLV to think he was going to be a good pro besides being overweight and having some highlight dunks.
I don't know about that. I don't think I saw Bennett play for UNLV that much to give you any scouting take but in 27 minutes per game he averaged 16.1 ppg and 8.1 rpg, shot 53% from the floor and 70% from the FT line. That's pretty darn good production for any college player, never mind a freshman. Not sure exactly why he hasn't worked out in the NBA but his body type and lack of elite athleticism probably didn't help.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I don't think I saw Bennett play for UNLV that much to give you any scouting take but in 27 minutes per game he averaged 16.1 ppg and 8.1 rpg, shot 53% from the floor and 70% from the FT line. That's pretty darn good production for any college player, never mind a freshman. Not sure exactly why he hasn't worked out in the NBA but his body type and lack of elite athleticism probably didn't help.
I saw probably at least 15 of his games as a freshman at UNLV and although he would dominate the paint at times, he was one of the lowest IQ players I've ever seen and like I said over weight and played in a poor conference. The pick was totally redic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rather have Kris Dunn, people are sleeping on him...his game reminds me so much of Westbrook, does he have the explosion like Westbrook maybe not, but he plays just like him.
And I used play like Adrian Dantley, without the explosion.

Reaction Score
As a Celtics fan, was obviously hoping for Simmons or Ingram because that's a position we need and they both look like solid prospects. Not sure who we will take at 3. Expecting a trade. Is Dunn a better prospect than Smart or Rozier?

Reaction Score
As a Celtics fan, was obviously hoping for Simmons or Ingram because that's a position we need and they both look like solid prospects. Not sure who we will take at 3. Expecting a trade. Is Dunn a better prospect than Smart or Rozier?
Yes, Dunn is a better prospect than those two players.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
As a Celtics fan, I'm very eager to see what happens. My guess is if they get 1-2 you keep the pick. 3 you MAY keep it and get the 7 foot Bosnian guy. 4+ you should trade/pray you can get a big-ish time player.
See, I think it's just the opposite. 1-2, MAYBE 3 there's a better chance the Celtics trade because that pick is more valuable to a team like Indiana, Chicago or Sacramento whom might be looking to deal. 4 or lower is not very attractive in a high profile trade. And the Ray Allen trade is not really a good example to disprove that because that was nearly 10 years ago now.
Ainge doesn't want to draft young talent and develop, he wants to stuff everything into priority mail and get a veteran stud in return. The 4 pick wouldn't get that done.
It gets interesting now that they have the 3 pick. It's kind of caught between the cream of the draft, and the muddled rest. It will be interesting to see how other teams value that pick because Ainge will surely dangle it in front of every team.

Reaction Score
Celts perspective - would have been better of course to have 1 or 2 in this 'perceived' to stud draft, but picking 3rd really opens up both them and all other teams to see if the field has anyone that can be special. Hield, Dunn, Bender lots of guys that could be coveted by either the Celtics or someone else. I think if they find a team that really wants a draftee and is willing to trade a star (Jimmy Butler, Carmelo, Love, Griffin) that would be their preferred route. But then again because they still have future high picks, IF Ainge becomes convinced that the conventional wisdom is incorrect and the true star of this draft isn't 1 or 2 the Celtics can keep the pick and continue to build slowly. From a GM perspective, picking 3rd is most interesting challenge as identifying player, trading pick or trading up or down are all in play. They are going to be super busy between now and the draft.

Reaction Score
Celts perspective - would have been better of course to have 1 or 2 in this 'perceived' to stud draft, but picking 3rd really opens up both them and all other teams to see if the field has anyone that can be special. Hield, Dunn, Bender lots of guys that could be coveted by either the Celtics or someone else. I think if they find a team that really wants a draftee and is willing to trade a star (Jimmy Butler, Carmelo, Love, Griffin) that would be their preferred route. But then again because they still have future high picks, IF Ainge becomes convinced that the conventional wisdom is incorrect and the true star of this draft isn't 1 or 2 the Celtics can keep the pick and continue to build slowly. From a GM perspective, picking 3rd is most interesting challenge as identifying player, trading pick or trading up or down are all in play. They are going to be super busy between now and the draft.
We will trade Melo for Marcus Smart.

Anything to take Melo off our hands, if you want to throw in draft picks feel free.

Just so horrible to be a Knicks fan.

Reaction Score
We will trade Melo for Marcus Smart.

Anything to take Melo off our hands, if you want to throw in draft picks feel free.

Just so horrible to be a Knicks fan.
I get it and he's doing nothing for the Knicks within any true contending timeline, but Smart isn't enough for Melo, a catch-22 of why you are stuck with him. Add-in the trade veto thing which given his contract am't and duration is just absurd, I think only chance is the Lakers. Phil should offer Jeannie a lifetime of sexual favors + Melo for the #2 pick.

Reaction Score
I get it and he's doing nothing for the Knicks within any true contending timeline, but Smart isn't enough for Melo, a catch-22 of why you are stuck with him. Add-in the trade veto thing which given his contract am't and duration is just absurd, I think only chance is the Lakers. Phil should offer Jeannie a lifetime of sexual favors + Melo for the #2 pick.
Lol, I would trade Melo for nothing, just get out under his contract.

Hard for me to imagine any team giving the Knicks anything of real value for Melo.

Knicks are not getting a top 5 pick for Melo, that's wishing upon a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom