NBA Draft Combine | Page 21 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do wonder if the NBA is not sold on his shooting because of his streakiness, wonky form, and uber slow release. We shall see... he's good enough by my eye to deserve a paycheck.
I actually think #3 on that list is what would get him drafted. I'm sure there are some questions about the streaky shot, but he does other things when it isn't going. I don't think any team sees him as a starter, so what do you want from a sub? Some positive impact sure, but almost as important is not making too many bad mistakes.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’m a Jrue Holiday hater as a player (because he’s an amazing person off the court).

He’s solid, but I don’t think he’s necessarily a winner. He just had one good year with Giannas. Outside of that he hasn’t won anything outside of the year with Rondo. He also had no business being on an All-Defense team this year. Guards consistently went off against the Celtics. He’s getting by on rep at this point.

He must have read this before the game. 28 points and good D on Halliburton.

Nobody is the perfect defender; quick players can get by anyone. But he's damn good. Don't the players know who's a good defender?

NBA players believe Jrue Holiday is the league's best defender

I'd call you a hater but

b660a478-0e6e-4c6e-a211-67e2ce1af97a_text.gif

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He must have read this before the game. 28 points and good D on Halliburton.

Nobody is the perfect defender; quick players can get by anyone. But he's damn good. Don't the players know who's a good defender?

NBA players believe Jrue Holiday is the league's best defender

I'd call you a hater but

b660a478-0e6e-4c6e-a211-67e2ce1af97a_text.gif
Only made sense for him to make me look dumb the game afterwards right.

I’m puzzled at these player voted lists because yeah they say that, but me betting the points over on guards who play against the Celtics have been cake. Then the guy who’s under 25 averaging 25 and 10 leading his team of nobodies to the conference finals is the most overrated. Makes no sense.

Mitchell went for 30 almost every game last series (something he didn’t do against the Magic).

Haliburton went for 25 and 10 last night which is a really good game for him. First double double since the first round.

I think he’s just a really great guys players respect as a person is my theory. Lol

Reaction Score
Not even sure if Jrue is that guy either. His best year and playoff series came when Rondo was the PG and he played SG.

That Bucks run is proving to be very fluke and injury impacted.
This aged well lol

Reaction Score

A return to Storrs would really ramp up the three-peat talk surrounding the Huskies. The 6-foot-8 forward was a key piece of the Huskies' back-to-back national championships and started 77 games over the past two seasons. He's a matchup problem due to his ability to step out and consistently make 3s, but has also expanded his game to become more aggressive going to the rim. Karaban was one of five UConn players to attend the combine and is ranked No. 42 in ESPN's mock draft. Dan Hurley has rising sophomore Jaylin Stewart ready to step up, but UConn would be a preseason top five team with Karaban in the fold.

Reaction Score

Players on the fence with tough decisions

Alex Karaban | SF | UConn: Throwing my hands up on Karaban. One of the few whose stay-or-go choice stumps everyone. He could return to UConn and get a bag while entrenching himself as one of the best to ever play for the Huskies. But he could have done enough – both the last two seasons and at the Combine – to sneak into the first round. He's No. 31 on the Big Board and played very well all week while showing off his length and shooting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Only made sense for him to make me look dumb the game afterwards right.

I’m puzzled at these player voted lists because yeah they say that, but me betting the points over on guards who play against the Celtics have been cake. Then the guy who’s under 25 averaging 25 and 10 leading his team of nobodies to the conference finals is the most overrated. Makes no sense.

Mitchell went for 30 almost every game last series (something he didn’t do against the Magic).

Haliburton went for 25 and 10 last night which is a really good game for him. First double double since the first round.

I think he’s just a really great guys players respect as a person is my theory. Lol
Guys who have to carry their team put up more impressive offensive numbers. It's not that complicated. Halliburton was -15 last night. His team defense is fine, but on ball man is lacking. Every member of Boston's starting 5 is a better defender.

The Pacers play very good offense. Credit to Halliburton and Carlysle. They run more than any team I've seen in a long time. Their half-court is good, but they are at their best slicing through a D that isn't set. Siakam and Turner thrive in that system. Boston is going to have to focus more on getting back, and less on offensive boards or miss fewer shots.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Bucks defense went to crap after Jrue left.

Reaction Score
I actually think #3 on that list is what would get him drafted. I'm sure there are some questions about the streaky shot, but he does other things when it isn't going. I don't think any team sees him as a starter, so what do you want from a sub? Some positive impact sure, but almost as important is not making too many bad mistakes.
Him having a 6'11" wingspan also doesn't hurt any. That's a bigger wingspan than Filipowski, who's at least 3" taller than Karaban. Not surprisingly, Filopowski's stock has gone down (#21 in ESPN's latest mock).

Reaction Score
His play? Obviously he won’t be mistaken for Horford in a lineup, but why would anyone interpret the comment that way on a basketball board?
I knew what you meant, and I was kind of joking, except for the extra 5", 40lbs, style of play and skill set. But yes, different race obviously too though.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if the NBA is not sold on his shooting because of his streakiness, wonky form, and uber slow release. We shall see... he's good enough by my eye to deserve a paycheck.
Yeah. look how funky Halliburton’s is .looks like a little kid shooting .haha

Reaction Score

A return to Storrs would really ramp up the three-peat talk surrounding the Huskies. The 6-foot-8 forward was a key piece of the Huskies' back-to-back national championships and started 77 games over the past two seasons. He's a matchup problem due to his ability to step out and consistently make 3s, but has also expanded his game to become more aggressive going to the rim. Karaban was one of five UConn players to attend the combine and is ranked No. 42 in ESPN's mock draft. Dan Hurley has rising sophomore Jaylin Stewart ready to step up, but UConn would be a preseason top five team with Karaban in the fold.

I don’t think they could 3-peat without Karaban. We gotta calm down on that. To me. Final Four should be the goal and anything after, except in ram circumstances (like last year) gravy.

But, I want to see the team and how they look with Jonson and The Michigan kid inside.

Reaction Score
Him having a 6'11" wingspan also doesn't hurt any. That's a bigger wingspan than Filipowski, who's at least 3" taller than Karaban. Not surprisingly, Filopowski's stock has gone down (#21 in ESPN's latest mock).
Yeah he has better wingspan than Marquette's Oso Ighodaro. That was one of the reasons he could block a lot of shots playing man to man with his length.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Guys who have to carry their team put up more impressive offensive numbers. It's not that complicated. Halliburton was -15 last night. His team defense is fine, but on ball man is lacking. Every member of Boston's starting 5 is a better defender.

The Pacers play very good offense. Credit to Halliburton and Carlysle. They run more than any team I've seen in a long time. Their half-court is good, but they are at their best slicing through a D that isn't set. Siakam and Turner thrive in that system. Boston is going to have to focus more on getting back, and less on offensive boards or miss fewer shots.

The Jrue Holiday PR team has done an amazing job making people forget about his Sixers and pre-Rondo Pelican days I tell ya.

There’s no way Dort and McDaniels, guys who actually make the guy they’re guarding have bad off nights, aren’t better defenders at minimum.

I won’t be satisfied until people refer to Jrue Holiday as just a nice human being.

Reaction Score
The Jrue Holiday PR team has done an amazing job making people forget about his Sixers and pre-Rondo Pelican days I tell ya.

There’s no way Dort and McDaniels, guys who actually make the guy they’re guarding have bad off nights, aren’t better defenders at minimum.

I won’t be satisfied until people refer to Jrue Holiday as just a nice human being.
We're talking about the Jrue Holiday who averaged 14 and 7 his second year in the league with Philadelphia right? This is the guy you say wasn't good before Rondo showed up in New Orleans? I can't believe this site is free

IMG_7215.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We're talking about the Jrue Holiday who averaged 14 and 7 his second year in the league with Philadelphia right? This is the guy you say wasn't good before Rondo showed up in New Orleans? I can't believe this site is free

View attachment 100927
Lol we have different standards.

Never said said he wasn’t good. But people call him underrated, winner, etc. when he never won anything before Rondo and one injury playoff run with Giannas.

He’s about to play for team USA after making the all defense team off of his rep and not even being the best guard on his own team (Derrick White is better).

Reaction Score
I don’t think they could 3-peat without Karaban. We gotta calm down on that. To me. Final Four should be the goal and anything after, except in ram circumstances (like last year) gravy.

But, I want to see the team and how they look with Jonson and The Michigan kid inside.
Everyone knows if we reach the final 4 we‘ll win it

Reaction Score
Hearing a lot of noise about Steph at #4 for the Spurs
It's smoke screen season, so just be careful about any rumors. Like this one was put out by an Athletic beat reporter for the Rockets. So do the Rockets think that's what the Spurs are going to do? Or is that what the Rockets want the rest of the teams to think the Spurs are going to do? Remember, the Rockets have the pick right before the Spurs and have a lot of young players already and may want to trade down. It's in their best interest if teams that covet Steph have to move up in front of the Spurs.

Reaction Score
It's smoke screen season, so just be careful about any rumors. Like this one was put out by an Athletic beat reporter for the Rockets. So do the Rockets think that's what the Spurs are going to do? Or is that what the Rockets want the rest of the teams to think the Spurs are going to do? Remember, the Rockets have the pick right before the Spurs and have a lot of young players already and may want to trade down. It's in their best interest if teams that covet Steph have to move up in front of the Spurs.
No question about smoke screen season. I do think that SC is Pop's kind of player but just read this AM about Trae Young to Houston in a trade package with future draft picks.. I think Trae would drive Pop crazy-Just my opinion

Reaction Score
Jrue is about to turn 34. He's past his prime. Questioning his defensive chops throughout his career is crazy. Jrue absolutely destroying Dame in the 2018 playoffs was a sight to see.

Reaction Score
I skimmed 6-7 mock drafts this morning that were supposedly post combine. At least 3 did not have Karaban, Newton, or Cam at all in the two rounds. Both Karaban and Newton were in a first round in at least 1 each. That's a big swing of uncertainty since you only need 1 team to buy into you. Since the mocks make it clear he is not certain to be drafted high, I think Alex comes back unless his agent gets a direct 'promise' from a team. The huge swings of first round prediction or not picked at all seems to be true for a number of other players as well, (Isodoro, Shannon), as examples. Schierman is all over the place from mid first round to late second round. Donovan I saw as low as #18 and as high as #2. Eddy is first round but as high as 10 and as low as 28. There seem to be very few consensus picks. My guess is that there are 40-45 names that are in somebodies list of the top 30 picks

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jrue is about to turn 34. He's past his prime. Questioning his defensive chops throughout his career is crazy. Jrue absolutely destroying Dame in the 2018 playoffs was a sight to see.
Didn’t question his career defensive chops. He’s milked that series for all it’s worth too. lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom