NBA Combine Invite List | The Boneyard

NBA Combine Invite List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Hawkins, Sanogo, and Jackson as expected are all invited. Newton not in, but also as expected by his G League Elite camp invite. He could still earn his way in.

Trey Alexander, Ryan Kalkbrenner, Arthur Kaluma, OMax Prosper, Cam Whitmore, and Colby Jones are also invited from the Big East.

Whitmore and Hawkins are definitely gone. Sanogo, Jones and Kaluma seem to be expected to stay in. Jackson, Newton, Kalkbrenner, Alexander, and Prosper are the toss-up guys.

Reaction Score
Obviously rooting for Hawkins/Sanogo above all else, but shoutout Trey Alexander and Colby Jones. I really like these two guys and I think they've been underrated as NBA prospects. Colby can do a little bit of everything but just needs to work on his outside consistency. Trey is undersized for a SG but is a straight up bucket getter

Reaction Score

Hawkins, Sanogo, and Jackson as expected are all invited. Newton not in, but also as expected by his G League Elite camp invite. He could still earn his way in.

Trey Alexander, Ryan Kalkbrenner, Arthur Kaluma, OMax Prosper, Cam Whitmore, and Colby Jones are also invited from the Big East.

Whitmore and Hawkins are definitely gone. Sanogo, Jones and Kaluma seem to be expected to stay in. Jackson, Newton, Kalkbrenner, Alexander, and Prosper are the toss-up guys.

Wow, way more people on the list than I thought. It has to be circus trying to see all the players in all the situations they're placed in during the combine.
Does anyone have insights into what happens there and how the week is structured?

Reaction Score
Wow, way more people on the list than I thought. It has to be circus trying to see all the players in all the situations they're placed in during the combine.
Does anyone have insights into what happens there and how the week is structured?
Usually the first 2 days are medical testing and interviews. Then you get the athletic testing/drills and 5v5 scrimmaging on Thurs/Fri.

Reaction Score

How does that not already inform Tristen Newton's decision ? The NBA doesn't even consider him one of the top 75-80 draft prospects

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
How does that not already inform Tristen Newton's decision ? The NBA doesn't even consider him one of the top 75-80 draft prospects
There’s the possibility he’s just done with college. In which case he would just play it out with the G league combine just in case.

Reaction Score
Tyrese Martin only earned an NBA combine invite after standing out at G League combine. And only earned a G League combine invite after standing out in Portsmouth.

He was drafted in the 2nd round.

While his situation is not the norm, not being initially invited to the NBA combine is not a death sentence on your NBA draft prospects.

Let the process play out and he'll end up wherever makes the most sense for him. At the very least, he gets valuable feedback from NBA coaches and scouts as to what skills he needs to improve to have a better shot next year.

Reaction Score
4C3E2CCA-2A53-49D0-AE34-356060D286ED.gif

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I've asked before since I know zero about the NBA but would Rodman be drafted/played in today's game? AJ isn't his level but I guess I'm curious at how valued a defensive player is.

Reaction Score
I've asked before since I know zero about the NBA but would Rodman be drafted/played in today's game? AJ isn't his level but I guess I'm curious at how valued a defensive player is.

Complicated question because the path Rodman took to the league just doesn't exist any more. He averaged like 20 points and 18 rebounds both his years in the NAIA (basically high-end D2). Anyone who averaged those stats now would be told to go high-major D1 for a season and get drafted these days.

That being said, Rodman was STILL a much better scorer than Andre (albeit in a different era). Rodman topped out at 12ppg his sophomore year in the league. And hovered around 8ppg the rest of the time. Andre was at 7ppg his junior year of college.

Rodman also averaged a stupid amount of rebounds and absurd defense. As good as Andre is, it's unlikely he has the ability to replicate those generational skills.

Defense and rebounding are highly valued in the league, but often not at the expense of shooting. The stars need to have a lot of skills, but plenty of guys have made millions as a side piece playing defense, rebounding, with a decent 3 point shot.

In 2023, you've gotta be able to play both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
Complicated question because the path Rodman took to the league just doesn't exist any more. He averaged like 20 points and 18 rebounds both his years in the NAIA (basically high-end D2). Anyone who averaged those stats now would be told to go high-major D1 for a season and get drafted these days.

That being said, Rodman was STILL a much better scorer than Andre (albeit in a different era). Rodman topped out at 12ppg his sophomore year in the league. And hovered around 8ppg the rest of the time. Andre was at 7ppg his junior year of college.

Rodman also averaged a stupid amount of rebounds and absurd defense. As good as Andre is, it's unlikely he has the ability to replicate those generational skills.

Defense and rebounding are highly valued in the league, but often not at the expense of shooting. The stars need to have a lot of skills, but plenty of guys have made millions as a side piece playing defense, rebounding, with a decent 3 point shot.

In 2023, you've gotta be able to play both ends of the floor.
It’s so hard to come up with a player comp for Andre, almost no one like him when you put together the entire package that is Jackson. I still think an NBA team will bet on his skill set and being a “connector” of sorts. He might not be able to score but his everything else he can bring/so should theoretically get him onto a roster. Teams need young guys like him, especially in the regular season when stars rest, players don’t play as many minutes. I’ve said it before: I’ll feel a lot better if the Heat, Celtics, Nuggets, Thunder etc draft him than I would a bottoming out lottery team.

Reaction Score
It’s so hard to come up with a player comp for Andre, almost no one like him when you put together the entire package that is Jackson. I still think an NBA team will bet on his skill set and being a “connector” of sorts. He might not be able to score but his everything else he can bring/so should theoretically get him onto a roster. Teams need young guys like him, especially in the regular season when stars rest, players don’t play as many minutes. I’ve said it before: I’ll feel a lot better if the Heat, Celtics, Nuggets, Thunder etc draft him than I would a bottoming out lottery team.

I suspect he gets drafted second round, but that's really only a hunch. By NBA standards he's a cheap option in the second round. Those guys rarely are very good and need a lot of skill work. His defense, rebounding, passing and ballhandling are NBA-level skills. I'd invest a ton of time into rebuilding Andre's scoring and hope he can be the kind of player to lead the second unit on a good team.

Reaction Score
I suspect he gets drafted second round, but that's really only a hunch. By NBA standards he's a cheap option in the second round. Those guys rarely are very good and need a lot of skill work. His defense, rebounding, passing and ballhandling are NBA-level skills. I'd invest a ton of time into rebuilding Andre's scoring and hope he can be the kind of player to lead the second unit on a good team.
It seems like he’s in that 35-50 range, which is solid, he’ll definitely get a shot if that’s where he gets drafted. I suspect the stretch run he had, especially the tournament put him on the radar of NBA GMs. Sure they knew who he was, but at least they could see his skill set in full force & know there is something to work with. I’m excited for him, he’s such an easy dude to root for. I always bet on guys like that, knows his role & how to get himself onto a roster. How good he gets is a mystery, but I do think he’ll play his way onto a roster and hopefully get some decent guarenteed cash. If you can do that, it’s a win.

Reaction Score
Adama puts up impressive numbers!

Curious why Andre and Jordan are not on the list

For *3/4 court sprint

Adama was in the first pod, so this is maybe inclusive of 1/5th of all participants. Dre is in the pod going now, Hawk is coming up soon. Dre currently 3rd overall in one step vert.

Reaction Score
Btw you can watch the draft combine if you're really bored.

How to Watch 2023 NBA Draft Combine​

All times are ET
  • Date: Monday, May 15 | Time: 3-5 p.m.
    Streaming: NBA App (Strength/agility and shooting drills)
  • Date: Wednesday, May 17 | Time: 2-6 p.m.
    TV: ESPN2 | Streaming: fuboTV (Try for free)
  • Date: Thursday, May 18 | Time: 4-8 p.m.
    TV: ESPN2 | Streaming: fuboTV (Try for free)

Reaction Score
Adama was in the first pod, so this is maybe inclusive of 1/5th of all participants. Dre is in the pod going now, Hawk is coming up soon. Dre currently 3rd overall in one step vert.

What was his #?

Keep updating on how our guys do! I'm at work late and can't watch.

Reaction Score
What was his #?

Keep updating on how our guys do! I'm at work late and can't watch.
39.5”. Julian Phillips at 43” is in first. Dre also 2nd in 3/4 court sprint behind Terrance Shannon.

I don’t think Dre has done standing vert yet unless he isn’t in top 10 which feels unlikely.

Reaction Score
39.5”. Julian Phillips at 43” is in first. Dre also 2nd in 3/4 court sprint behind Terrance Shannon.

I don’t think Dre has done standing vert yet unless he isn’t in top 10 which feels unlikely.

Remind me... do they measure max vert or just no step and one step?

I had heard in hs that Andre had a 46" max. Would be interesting to see if he maintained that while gaining 15+lbs of muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom