NBA Bound Stephan | Page 11 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't know what people expect from Castle. He is a freshman, and I think he is playing really well for a freshman. Not as good as Walker or Napier were as frosh, but he has plenty of time to improve and catch up to where they were by the end of their freshmen year.

As for the draft, the teams that are drafting on potential alone aren't going to care much what he does this year as long as he improves a little by the end of the season. Any teams that want immediate production out of their draft pick are not picking Castle. So it doesn't really matter that much for the draft what he does the rest of the season, as long as he doesn't completely faceplant.
Just cause I’m bored at work, I felt like checking how many of the NBAs leading scorers in PPG came out as freshman in college.

1. Embiid- Yes
2. Luka- No but was 19 his rookie season
3. Lillard- No
4. Giannis- No but was 19 his rookie season
5. Shai- Yes
6. Tatum- Yes
7. Mitchell- No
8. Kyrie- Yes
9. Brown- Yes
10. Ja- No
11. Trae- Yes
12. Lauri- Yes
13. Randle- Yes
14. Fox- Yes
15. Lavine- Yes
16. Edwards- Yes
17. DeRozen- Yes
18. Jokic- No, first season was 20 years old
19. Siakam- No
20. Brunson- No

So if we’re being generous, that’s 7/20 top scorers in basketball didn’t come out of college after their freshman year. Even though I’d contend well known prospects like Giannis and Luka would’ve been 1 and dones had they gone to college.

Reaction Score
He’s in his own head and thinking too much when jump shooting. I’m glad he’s hitting his free throws at least.

If he was shooting 33% or so from 3 he’d be getting #1 pick buzz. He’s that good at everything else. He has the best eurostep of any guard we’ve had in recent memory.
Never known as a great shooter, Castle is just 1-for-9 (11 percent) from 3 this season. Hurley expects that to improve.

"It's definitely not a mechanics issue. It's confidence, it's getting more court time, seeing one go in. We're going to be able to continue to expand the different ways that we use him. The way we deploy him on offense, I think there's a lot of ways we can utilize his size and ability to get to the rim and to pass."

And in this day and age of the transfer portal and "COVID seniors," it's tough for freshmen these days. Especially in the Big East. And especially on the road in the Big East.

"He's learning, he's growing," Hurley said. "College basketball is not easy on freshmen. We're just going to keep trying to develop him."

Reaction Score
Ok, since I’m on a roll, can someone tell me what the @ does? I mean, what would putting the @ in front of your name do? How does that work?
@gars44, it alerts the poster that their name is being referenced. Check the top of this board, way to the right, there's a bell. Since I put a "@" sign before your name it should show a red "1". If you click on that and then the post that shows it will take you to the post that your name is referenced in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just cause I’m bored at work, I felt like checking how many of the NBAs leading scorers in PPG came out as freshman in college.

1. Embiid- Yes
2. Luka- No but was 19 his rookie season
3. Lillard- No
4. Giannis- No but was 19 his rookie season
5. Shai- Yes
6. Tatum- Yes
7. Mitchell- No
8. Kyrie- Yes
9. Brown- Yes
10. Ja- No
11. Trae- Yes
12. Lauri- Yes
13. Randle- Yes
14. Fox- Yes
15. Lavine- Yes
16. Edwards- Yes
17. DeRozen- Yes
18. Jokic- No, first season was 20 years old
19. Siakam- No
20. Brunson- No

So if we’re being generous, that’s 7/20 top scorers in basketball didn’t come out of college after their freshman year. Even though I’d contend well known prospects like Giannis and Luka would’ve been 1 and dones had they gone to college.

So all 1-and-dones will one day be top scorers in the NBA?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So all 1-and-dones will one day be top scorers in the NBA?
I'm inclined toward saying,"No way," but maybe you're right.

How about you taking us on a slow, step-by-step walk through what led you to that suppostion

We might be missing your brilliance.

Here you have an opportunity to demonstrate kindness, patience, and a generous spirit in addition to intelligence, superior grasp of facts, and clarity of expression.

Reaction Score
It’s been a few games but he’s definitely more talented than both as a frosh and as far as playing well, he just hasn’t had enough games to say one way or another.

Kemba is a high freshmen year bar to top but Bazz was pretty much a solid role player. He may be better than him now and he should be by the end of the year.

Would like to remind everyone Castle has played 2 games back as a starter and is coming off a game where he had 14 4 and 7 on one missed shot. Kid is going to be fine.
Steph already has better stats in most categories than Kemba and Shabazz did as freshmen. I would expect his numbers to increase.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
lol…I talk to my wife but she has very little interest in me complaining about how I can’t find a UConn basketball pole pad for my outdoor hoop. Yet I CAN find them for basketball powerhouse like Tulane, Montana State and North Dakota State…
IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

You're welcome.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I'm inclined toward saying,"No way," but maybe you're right.

How about you taking us on a slow, step-by-step walk through what led you to that suppostion

We might be missing your brilliance.

Here you have an opportunity to demonstrate kindness, patience, and a generous spirit in addition to intelligence, superior grasp of facts, and clarity of expression.
I see you are both @Sprungfeld and @Muntz longtime BY members. Clearly from his ability to put together grammatically impeccable posts (and admittedly from a phone) @Hans is well educated and a few days ago somewhat admitted to being a retired professor and/or lawyer. Then I read posts by @nelsonmuntz and I wonder why such a smart man as @Hans Sprungfeld spends anytime responding to those posts. I have come to the conclusion they may be one and the same. One representing everything you would expect from a troll and the other uses beautifully written lucid posts that could be defined as how anti-trolling posts should look and read. Makes me wonder…….

Reaction Score
I see you are both @Sprungfeld and @Muntz longtime BY members. Clearly from his ability to put together grammatically impeccable posts (and admittedly from a phone) @Hans is well educated and a few days ago somewhat admitted to being a retired professor and/or lawyer. Then I read posts by @nelsonmuntz and I wonder why such a smart man as @Hans Sprungfeld spends anytime responding to those posts. I have come to the conclusion they may be one and the same. One representing everything you would expect from a troll and the other uses beautifully written lucid posts that could be defined as how anti-trolling posts should look and read. Makes me wonder…….
Dr Sprungfeld and Mr Muntz

Reaction Score
Never known as a great shooter, Castle is just 1-for-9 (11 percent) from 3 this season. Hurley expects that to improve.

"It's definitely not a mechanics issue. It's confidence, it's getting more court time, seeing one go in. We're going to be able to continue to expand the different ways that we use him. The way we deploy him on offense, I think there's a lot of ways we can utilize his size and ability to get to the rim and to pass."

And in this day and age of the transfer portal and "COVID seniors," it's tough for freshmen these days. Especially in the Big East. And especially on the road in the Big East.

"He's learning, he's growing," Hurley said. "College basketball is not easy on freshmen. We're just going to keep trying to develop him."
Forgot to link the article that has a bunch of quotes from Hurley about Castle. Good article. Hurley likes his team. He'll like it a lot better if they can get everyone healthy.

Alternate access:

Why Dan Hurley likes where UConn men stand in early January, with 'beautiful' basketball ahead

Reaction Score
You didn’t even mention the obvious Simpsons connection.

I find one to be far more insufferable, at least Nelson can be amusing.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If he could just figure out the offense, and defense, he’d be unstoppable because he has the best traits of any guard we’ve ever had. He’s lost right now and still putting up 14-9.

Reaction Score
If he could just figure out the offense, and defense, he’d be unstoppable because he has the best traits of any guard we’ve ever had. He’s lost right now and still putting up 14-9.
Didn't look like a guy lost to me, he made mistakes on both ends like everyone else on the team, which is normal

Reaction Score
Lost? LOL! I think he played his best game of the year and hit 2 jump shots and played great D on Posh. Yeah I like to see him drive a little more but give him time.

Reaction Score
Jamal coombs vibes so far. Hopefully that changes.
No way! That’s just crazy. Hurley’s comments about him after game were very positive. He might be shy, or who knows what, but obviously he and his teammates like each other. Love his defense and tenacity!

Reaction Score
Lost? LOL! I think he played his best game of the year and hit 2 jump shots and played great D on Posh. Yeah I like to see him drive a little more but give him time.
Agreed…he looked very good tonight. He’s hard to stop from getting to the rim without sending him to the line.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ehh even after tonight I have my concerns. He’s in his own head, a lot. You’ll see a player try to dap him up and he doesn’t even notice it. I’ve never seen him initiate a high five or give any real positive energy, not exactly Hassan out there. He has focus problems, the rest of the offense will be in a set he’ll be standing there then suddenly snap out of it and remember what he had to do and get to his spot. This offense requires a lot of quick thinking, if you don’t have the drive to learn it fast or a high volume of reps it can be overwhelming. He’s much better with the ball in his hands. Like I said tho, best traits of any guard we‘ve ever had, his iso man defense is incredible, teams need to confuse him with switches to get anything off on him.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Think Boatright and Jalen Adams would like to have a word.

He’s probably one of the best finishers of the Hurley era. But that’s also because a lot of guys during this time have been really bad around the rim.
Jalen Adams couldn't finish with his left hand.

Reaction Score
Thought he played the best all around game on the team tonight and his play in the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half is what changed the game. Definitely didn’t look lost, he was really taking charge of the offense too directing guys around and getting the guys the ball in good spots

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom