NBA Bound Stephan | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
Could just be semantics or me not using the right way to describe what I'm seeing. Because I agree with what you're saying above.

Maybe I would be best suited in saying it seems like he's been playing kind of frenetic? You can see the high level athleticism/explosion/body control when he does drive and execute, but I feel like he's otherwise moving 100 miles a minute.

I probably didn't explain that well either - just get the sense that he's going to come into his own in short order just haven't seen it consistently in play.
Yeah, i can see why you would think that. I was more projecting from the first 2 games he played, and then what i expect during the rest of the season, combined with his high school film (which is far more important to NBA teams than people think).
Although, right now i agree with 429 that he is taking it a bit too slow. I don't see frenetic, but i don't get paid to be a scout. Either way, i think as he becomes more comfortable in his role in the offense, the decisions will come at the right pace. It really sucks that he missed the time he did, because he looked more comfortable during the first 2 games than he has in the last 3.
I will say though, sometimes he uses that slow pace to his advantage. On the play that got Karaban his made 3 for the night against STJ, Castle caught the ball, then eye faked 2 separate defenders in 2 different directions. Karaban isn't open for his 3 if this doesn't happen. It was a really subtle, very high level play.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, i can see why you would think that. I was more projecting from the first 2 games he played, and then what i expect during the rest of the season, combined with his high school film (which is far more important to NBA teams than people think).
Although, right now i agree with 429 that he is taking it a bit too slow. I don't see frenetic, but i don't get paid to be a scout. Either way, i think as he becomes more comfortable in his role in the offense, the decisions will come at the right pace. It really sucks that he missed the time he did, because he looked more comfortable during the first 2 games than he has in the last 3.
I will say though, sometimes he uses that slow pace to his advantage. On the play that got Karaban his made 3 for the night against STJ, Castle caught the ball, then eye faked 2 separate defenders in 2 different directions. Karaban isn't open for his 3 if this doesn't happen. It was a really subtle, very high level play.

I'm also hopeful that him being key to the win vs St. John's will be a big confidence booster. Reading body language, he seems very frustrated with himself thus far. Seeing him draw the and 1 was one of the few times I've seen him pumped up over his own play.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Funny... I had the opposite take. I've thought Stephon was making decisions too slow.

I see him catching the ball and instead of passing or driving immediately, he's jabbing (something I think is way overused), thinking, and dribbling 3+ times. I want to see him catch and immediately swing the ball or attack the rack aggressively.
That’s one area Solo doesn’t have to work on, the shot either goes up, or he swings it immediately. It’s another sign we have something to work with in him, processing speed is a skill.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what the point of this thread was? If Castle shoots 3-10 from the field in most games, he won’t be drafted. But I don’t think anyone expects him to continue shooting that poorly? We may as well wait for a larger sample before concluding he’ll have to bypass the draft this off season

Reaction Score
Player stock is always fluid throughout the season. It's not even relevant until you get into the second half of conference play, conference tourney play and March Madness. Why we're overreacting over a rookie who's a projected lottery pick? I have no clue. I think we expect players to be great every single game.... which is unreasonable.

Castle will be fine and will STILL be a lottery pick. The bigger question is will Boneyarders be fine? I don't know. Expectation is too high sometimes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what the point of this thread was? If Castle shoots 3-10 from the field in most games, he won’t be drafted. But I don’t think anyone expects him to continue shooting that poorly? We may as well wait for a larger sample before concluding he’ll have to bypass the draft this off season
That is all I’ve said. If high school is what gets a player become a 1st round NBA pick no matter how they play against good competition as a freshman. then quit school. avoid injury. go to a gym to work out and show up at the draft the next year.

Virtually every one and done has a bunch of games of impact. Castle has had to overcome an injury, and shows some flashes. What struck me about him in person is that he looks sttonger than on TV. He abused Stonehill in the 2nd half then got hurt. If his strength is breaking down a D finishing at the hoop and distributing, along with strong D, i would think that if he can’t do that against better teams, it might make a few NBA teams hesitate. I agree his jump shooting can be improved as a pro, hopefully even during this year. But i don’t know why a hs stud should be anointed if it doesn’t show as a college freshman.

Reaction Score
4 or 5 of the worst first round cohorts in NBA history are on that list.
You guys are talking past each other.

You're saying what should be (NBA GMs are dumb for valuing potential over demonstrated production) and everyone else is saying what is (potential draftees' value does drop off precipitously the longer they stay in college).

Reaction Score
Funny... I had the opposite take. I've thought Stephon was making decisions too slow.

I see him catching the ball and instead of passing or driving immediately, he's jabbing (something I think is way overused), thinking, and dribbling 3+ times. I want to see him catch and immediately swing the ball or attack the rack aggressively.
I agree with this. A handful of times the ball swung to him at the top of the key and the pace of the possession just slowed down, like he's out of sync with everyone else.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What is the point of any thread on here? The entire board is opinion and speculation. If you want to just check out a box score the option exists.

Reaction Score

Yeah, agree with this. Seems he’s more of an instinctive player abd he’s not trusting his instincts for whatever reason

Reaction Score
Could it be he is a ball dominant type guard and needs to adjust or have Hurley put the ball in his hands in some of these easy ones coming up ?

I don’t pretend to know but I was thinking this.

Reaction Score
He’s going top 5 according to the gurus here, we have him for just this season. Can someone explain to me after watching last night how that happens?
Hurley pulled him in favor of Ball. Sloppy ball handling, shooting touch, it goes on. We know he will be much better but geez no dominant talent came in off that bench when he got in there, up till now. Hope it changes.
I havent been impressed with him yet and dont see him as a top 5 one and done pick. But to be fair its his 2nd game back from injury so ill talk to you in February. At this point other than a superficial observation we cant really judge what he is or isnt. At this point its not fair to him so we need to wait and see.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That is all I’ve said. If high school is what gets a player become a 1st round NBA pick no matter how they play against good competition as a freshman. then quit school. avoid injury. go to a gym to work out and show up at the draft the next year.

Virtually every one and done has a bunch of games of impact. Castle has had to overcome an injury, and shows some flashes. What struck me about him in person is that he looks sttonger than on TV. He abused Stonehill in the 2nd half then got hurt. If his strength is breaking down a D finishing at the hoop and distributing, along with strong D, i would think that if he can’t do that against better teams, it might make a few NBA teams hesitate. I agree his jump shooting can be improved as a pro, hopefully even during this year. But i don’t know why a hs stud should be anointed if it doesn’t show as a college freshman.
An announcer during one early season game (i don't remember) said that Castle is the strongest player on the team in terms of the weight room. He must have gotten this from the coaches.

Reaction Score
This year’s draft crop is so lousy that Castle will make the top 15 on athleticism alone if he doesn’t improve at playing basketball one iota.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I havent been impressed with him yet and dont see him as a top 5 one and done pick. But to be fair its his 2nd game back from injury so ill talk to you in February. At this point other than a superficial observation we cant really judge what he is or isnt. At this point its not fair to him so we need to wait and see.
According to some astute BYers he just has to suit up - or not - and he is a lottery pick. Says something, not sure what, about the NBA. I don‘t fault a kid for leaving if some GM wants to throw millions at them no matter how they play in college. Not much incentive knock one self out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That poster said "still", not "will always", and they're right at this moment. It doesn't assume anything. The early picks are almost all potential picks. Later in the draft players are being selected for what they can do for a good team right now.
Nelson is a master of making the winning argument against what somebody hasn't actually said.

He shifts others' words just enough to make his contrary opinion sound meaningful, and (I suppose) hopes that nobody notices the dishonesty of him doing so. It's a weird victory that can't be fully satisfying, but it has persisted for far too long to be here coincidence. I can't recall when he's acknowledged this pecadillo and shown appreciation for the partial compliment within what I've written: it's clear he's no dummy, so he has to know what he's doing. I wonder what moves him to pursue such compromised framings with such regularity. He could be a much more valuable presence within this community if he were more maturely right-sized and played things more straight, but he doesn't seem interested in such a path.

Reaction Score
it's clear he's no dummy, so he has to know what he's doing.

This is where we differ. A straw man is the simplest and oldest fallacy in the book. He has the argumentative skills of a 12-year-old.

He also just might be a troll. It's hard to tell.

Reaction Score
Nelson is one of the most obvious trolls I’ve come across in all my days reading message boards

Reaction Score

Look what Milwaukee has done with Andre’s jump shot since he’s been drafted. He's shooting 45% on around 30 3PA's. Not a volume shooter by any means but already a HUGE improvement in 5 months vs 3 years in college.

This is amazing. Wonderful for Andre. Wonderful for the coaches who guided him to this in just a few months. They deserve raises. Andre should give them a huge bonus because he probably raised his career earnings by quite a bit with his new shot/form.

All that said.... what were we doing for 3 years. Who corrected his shot. We need to hire them as consultants the next time we have a player with problems with their shot mechanics.

Reaction Score
According to some astute BYers he just has to suit up - or not - and he is a lottery pick.
I think someone like Derek Lively is instructive here. Drafted 12th after being really bad at Duke. Currently doing very well for himself on Dallas.

Scouts have learned that the high school rankings (especially in the last decade plus in which there are more eyes on high school) are worth using in addition to their college performance. A top 10 high schooler who disappoints in a year of college can and still will be drafted in the lottery if they have the size, athleticism, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom