NBA Bound Stephan | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
I think you are looking at personality differences. Ball's problem is he sometimes shows too much spark and life.
How is that a problem? Were 10-2 with a healthy resume and he’s gotten a ton of minutes.

Reaction Score
He needs some time but the offense stopped moving when he had the ball.

Reaction Score
You are missing a seismic change happening in college basketball. As college basketball becomes a man’s game instead of a boy’s game, you will see fewer NBA teams willing to burn high picks on projects that won’t develop for three years. A kid better be a top level talent, ready to contribute on day one, to one-and-done, or he could have an unpleasant draft night.
NBA still drafts on potential…

Reaction Score
It's funny that people think that he isn't a one and done because his jump shot isn't there yet. Like he isn't a massive 6'6 PG with elite defensive potential.

Last year alone, 4 guards with questionable jump shots went in the top 6. Scoot Henderson, the Thompson twins, and Anthony Black.

The NBA is much more concerned about his projectable traits (which are incredible) than his jump shot.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's funny that people think that he isn't a one and done because his jump shot isn't there yet. Like he isn't a massive 6'6 PG with elite defensive potential.

Last year alone, 4 guards with questionable jump shots went in the top 6. Scoot Henderson, the Thompson twins, and Anthony Black.

The NBA is much more concerned about his projectable traits (which are incredible) than his jump shot.
The NBA is 100% confident they can teach anyone to shoot. And the results show they can.

They are more worried about coming in with other high level skills and athleticism to add to it.

Reaction Score
The NBA is 100% confident they can teach anyone to shoot. And the results show they can.

They are more worried about coming in with other high level skills and athleticism to add to it.
Let's see how they do teaching Andre to shoot before you get carried away on this theory. They draft on potential but discard on performance, so everybody that you see can shoot because the rest are quickly discarded. There is a reason why Al Horford is still around.

Reaction Score
Let's see how they do teaching Andre to shoot before you get carried away on this theory. They draft on potential but discard on performance, so everybody that you see can shoot because the rest are quickly discarded. There is a reason why Al Horford is still around.

Look what Milwaukee has done with Andre’s jump shot since he’s been drafted. He's shooting 45% on around 30 3PA's. Not a volume shooter by any means but already a HUGE improvement in 5 months vs 3 years in college.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you dont think the Bucks are positive they can improve AJJ's perimeter shooting you don't understand the NBA at all. They would never have drafted him if they weren't sure he could reconstruct/improve his outside shooting process. Should have been done in Storrs.
BTW - Horford has a very unorthodox shooting style but he has been accurate since his HS days. He is still around because his BB IQ is through the roof and his skills are top level in many areas - rebounding, passing, court vision, interior defense and knowing how to create space for himself and teammates. He came out of college ready to step on the NBA court.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you dont think the Bucks are positive they can improve AJJ's perimeter shooting you don't understand the NBA at all. They would never have drafted him if they weren't sure he could reconstruct/improve his outside shooting process. Should have been done in Storrs.
We should’ve been building his game from the inside out instead of outside out.

Reaction Score

Look what Milwaukee has done with Andre’s jump shot since he’s been drafted. He's shooting 45% on around 30 3PA's. Not a volume shooter by any means but already a HUGE improvement in 5 months vs 3 years in college.

The old timers on here like to give me grief when I say that NBA staff's are better equipped to improve a player's skill, but this is exhibit A of about 1000 that proves it.

Our staff is busy teaching plays, recruiting, making sure guys get to class, dealing with NIL. They are generalists by nature. NBA teams have full-time, dedicated personnel that do nothing but skill development.

It's the difference between going to your PCP or your orthopedic surgeon.

Reaction Score
BTW - Horford has a very unorthodox shooting style but he has been accurate since his HS days. He is still around because his BB IQ is through the roof and his skills are top level in many areas - rebounding, passing, court vision, interior defense and knowing how to create space for himself and teammates. He came out of college ready to step on the NBA court.
Totally agree that it should have (and could have) been done in Storrs (or better yet in high school or below, but coaches don't seem to do that any more in the AAU era (many middle schools have folded in their programs) and kids are just passed along for the qualities that they do naturally have, without a lot of emphasis on individual improvement, except perhaps in some summer camps (and AAU ball is squeezing out summer camps as well)

Reaction Score
Assuming things will always stay as they currently are is the surest way to be completely wrong.
That poster said "still", not "will always", and they're right at this moment. It doesn't assume anything. The early picks are almost all potential picks. Later in the draft players are being selected for what they can do for a good team right now.

Reaction Score
Lottery picks that weren't freshmen or international/G League players -
  • 2014: 5
  • 2015: 3
  • 2016: 6
  • 2017: 2
  • 2018: 3
  • 2019: 6
  • 2020: 6
  • 2021: 4
  • 2022: 6
  • 2023: 1
All general statements (not directed at Castle) - If a player is able to go lottery as a freshman, even if he's not ready to contribute at the NBA level, he better be 100% positive he will make a game changing leap as a sophomore if he decides to come back. Because anywhere from 8-11 lottery spots are reserved for guys younger than him. The difference between even the 10th pick and 15th pick is $1M per year.

Top MVP candidates and leaders of the best teams were either freshmen or overseas players who have been in the league since 19 years old. NBA teams put disproportionate amounts of resources into finding these guys and developing them, so when they're 25+ they will help you contend. 1 year shouldn't make much of a difference, but the perception in the league is that it does

Would you believe me if I told you Andre Jackson is 11-24 (45.8%) from three this season? He's made more progress in 6 months of NBA training than he did in 3 years at UConn. If Andre was the same exact player last year but a freshman, he'd be a lottery pick without question. But he was a junior so he got taken second round. Draft value drops FAST after freshman year

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lottery picks that weren't freshmen or international/G League players -
  • 2014: 5
  • 2015: 3
  • 2016: 6
  • 2017: 2
  • 2018: 3
  • 2019: 6
  • 2020: 6
  • 2021: 4
  • 2022: 6
  • 2023: 1
All general statements (not directed at Castle) - If a player is able to go lottery as a freshman, even if he's not ready to contribute at the NBA level, he better be 100% positive he will make a game changing leap as a sophomore if he decides to come back. Because anywhere from 8-11 lottery spots are reserved for guys younger than him. The difference between even the 10th pick and 15th pick is $1M per year.

Top MVP candidates and leaders of the best teams were either freshmen or overseas players who have been in the league since 19 years old. NBA teams put disproportionate amounts of resources into finding these guys and developing them, so when they're 25+ they will help you contend. 1 year shouldn't make much of a difference, but the perception in the league is that it does

Would you believe me if I told you Andre Jackson is 11-24 (45.8%) from three this season? He's made more progress in 6 months of NBA training than he did in 3 years at UConn. If Andre was the same exact player last year but a freshman, he'd be a lottery pick without question. But he was a junior so he got taken second round. Draft value drops FAST after freshman year

4 or 5 of the worst first round cohorts in NBA history are on that list.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The right time to leave the program 20 years ago is quite different now. If you're going to be a top 5-10 pick or even a lottery pick it's always been the right time to leave for the player and in many ways the right time to leave for the program. All those guys you listed were all-Americans when they left. Nowadays you don't have to have any accolades to leave, if you show what the NBA is looking for they will make you one of the top picks now without any personal or team achievements. Hopefully Castle will get team and personal achievements but it probably won't factor at all in terms of his draft stock.
It doesn’t mean he’s ready. It also doesn’t mean a player shouldn’t leave if an NBA team will take them base on some potential teams see. It’s their money to use even if there isn’t much evidence that the player is ready to play pro ball. Because it’s the way it is doesn’t by definition mean it is sensible. There isn’t a single UConn early departure in the last 3 years, let alone 20 years ago, where the player hadn’t shown enough success in college to look that an NBA jump had no justification. AJax had and has issues, but a pretty high number of impact performances. Bouknight ditto but his lack if maturity was evident. Castle is mostly living on hs and other pre college performance. I know he was hurt, but we are a big chunk into the season. He has had good moments but no take over games. If that comes, great for him and probably great for UConn. If he doesn’t the NBA can do what it wants. And count as someone who thinks that the “it’s a bad look for UConn” idea for UConn if Castle isn’t in this year’s draft is nuts. UConn not winning hurts way more than one player needing more experience. I saw his best half in person and have said and I still do, lets see how he does against better competition. I hope he plays great and if draft ready, fine. If he doesn’t and leaves anyway and gets a first round pick, lottery or not, great for the NBA.

pj

Reaction Score
1Victor Wembanyama19.52004Forward7'4 ½"232
2Scoot Henderson19.42004Lead Guard6'2"195
3Brandon Miller20.6Fr.Wing6'9"200
4Amen Thompson20.42003Combo Guard6'7"214
5Ausar Thompson20.42003Wing6'7"218
6Anthony Black19.4Fr.Combo Guard6'7"210
7Jarace Walker19.8Fr.Forward6'8"249
8Cam Whitmore19.0Fr.Forward6'7"235
9Taylor Hendricks19.6Fr.Forward6'9"214
10Gradey Dick19.6Fr.Wing6'7 ½"204
11Bilal Coulibaly18.92004Wing6'8"194
12Dereck Lively II19.4Fr.Big7'1 ¼"230
13Kobe Bufkin19.8So.Combo Guard6'5 ½"187
14Cason Wallace19.6Fr.Combo Guard6'4"195
15Jordan Hawkins21.1So.Wing6'5"186
16Keyonte George19.6Fr.Combo Guard6'4"204
17Jalen Hood-Schifino20.0Fr.Combo Guard6'5 ½"217
18Nick Smith Jr.19.2Fr.Combo Guard6'5"185
19Jaime Jaquez Jr.22.3Sr.Wing6'7"226
20Jett Howard19.8Fr.Wing6'8"215
21Noah Clowney18.9Fr.Big6'10"210
22Brandin Podziemski20.3So.Combo Guard6'5 ½"204
23Kris Murray22.8Jr.Forward6'8 ½"213
24O-Max Prosper21.0Jr.Wing6'7 ½"212
25Leonard Miller19.62003Forward6'10"213
26Dariq Whitehead18.9Fr.Wing6'7 ¼"217
27Brice Sensabaugh19.6Fr.Forward6'6"235
28Rayan Rupert19.12004Wing6'7"193
29James Nnaji18.92004Big6'10"245
Ages of everyone drafted in the first round this past year. You couldn't be more wrong.

An illuminating chart. If someone is talented enough to be a strong NBA player, then he belongs in the NBA system at a young age, so that they can develop him full-time. In college basketball is a part-time job and the best prospects should not be developing on a part-time basis.

Reaction Score
An illuminating chart. If someone is talented enough to be a strong NBA player, then he belongs in the NBA system at a young age, so that they can develop him full-time. In college basketball is a part-time job and the best prospects should not be developing on a part-time basis.
Traits, Characteristics, and Abilities (present or future) get you drafted. Actual college production matters very little.
If being good at college basketball mattered, then Sanogo would have been a lottery pick last year.

Steph is a 6'6" point guard with above average size, handle, and court vision. He plays at his own pace and doesn't let the game speed him up. He doesn't mind going at taller players (even though the result isn't always favorable). Very solid on-ball defender who plays defensive with effort. I bet he will remind GM's of SGA, who was also a poor shooter in college iirc.
Teams always think they can develop a jump shot. Often times they do, sometimes they don't, it depends on the kid's work ethic.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Traits, Characteristics, and Abilities (present or future) get you drafted. Actual college production matters very little.
If being good at college basketball mattered, then Sanogo would have been a lottery pick last year.

Steph is a 6'6" point guard with above average size, handle, and court vision. He plays at his own pace and doesn't let the game speed him up. He doesn't mind going at taller players (even though the result isn't always favorable). Very solid on-ball defender who plays defensive with effort. I bet he will remind GM's of SGA, who was also a poor shooter in college iirc.
Teams always think they can develop a jump shot. Often times they do, sometimes they don't, it depends on the kid's work ethic.

Agree with the first paragraph. Disagree with your bolded assertion, if anything, I feel like he's playing a bit too quickly on offense leading to bad decisions. Could be some rust or maybe the injury is still effecting him, but I haven't been too impressed with his play.

Reaction Score
Agree with the first paragraph. Disagree with your bolded assertion, if anything, I feel like he's playing a bit too quickly on offense leading to bad decisions. Could be some rust or maybe the injury is still effecting him, but I haven't been too impressed with his play.

Funny... I had the opposite take. I've thought Stephon was making decisions too slow.

I see him catching the ball and instead of passing or driving immediately, he's jabbing (something I think is way overused), thinking, and dribbling 3+ times. I want to see him catch and immediately swing the ball or attack the rack aggressively.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Funny... I had the opposite take. I've thought Stephon was making decisions too slow.

I see him catching the ball and instead of passing or driving immediately, he's jabbing (something I think is way overused), thinking, and dribbling 3+ times. I want to see him catch and immediately swing the ball or attack the rack aggressively.

Could just be semantics or me not using the right way to describe what I'm seeing. Because I agree with what you're saying above.

Maybe I would be best suited in saying it seems like he's been playing kind of frenetic? You can see the high level athleticism/explosion/body control when he does drive and execute, but I feel like he's otherwise moving 100 miles a minute.

I probably didn't explain that well either - just get the sense that he's going to come into his own in short order just haven't seen it consistently in play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom