NBA Bound Stephan | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
Seriously, how do you know? I’ve said I want to see how he does against the non-cupcakes. If he is what we are seeing now, the NBA scouts and GMs must be silly. I agree that it’s early, but if he seriously will be drafted based on high school, having been someone who hired lawyers, I would have been nuts to ignore how a person had handled law school. He played really well vs Stonybrook in the game I went to, also the game he was injured. Maybe that is what is affecting him , but he has a way to go. I’m definitely pulling for him.
I hope he can fulfill his potential but right now he looks lost. We really don’t have anyone that is quick enough to get by people and need him to do just that

Reaction Score
I hope he can fulfill his potential but right now he looks lost. We really don’t have anyone that is quick enough to get by people and need him to do just that

You forgot to say “hope I’m wrong.”

Reaction Score
Castle needs to be in the starting lineup from here on in. I said it in another thread. He's way to talented to continue to come off the bench. I don't think he's a come off the bench spark plug type player. He needs to be in the mix and get some nice reps and mistakes out early. He needs to get used to the pace and needs to get a feel for his teammates. Plus he's our best on defender not named Diarra.

I actually agree with this. It also would enable us to have an offensive sparkplug (Solo) coming off the bench. I'm not going to get into the arguments regarding Castle's game. But he strikes me as a guy who needs consistent run to maximize his talent. Coming off the bench doesn't seem like the best fit for him/us.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Random observations

1) I have seen glimpses of Stephon's athleticism. He will be truly special when he gains some confidence and finishes. It will open up our offense for everyone. Experience is the world's greatest teacher.

2) It doesn't matter if he starts or not. 25 minutes is 25 minutes. I don't know why that's so important to some. Dan Hurley is our coach, infinitely more qualified than Boneyarders

3) If he came back next year, it would be great for our program, no harm done in any way imaginable. However, that's unlikely. They draft is based on potential. Just look at Whitmore last year. A huge bust from where I'm sitting, yet he still went very high. Also look at Bouknight, had a handful of great games, often injured, still was a lottery pick. I think Stephon has more potential than both of them

Reaction Score
Look he’s a very talented player with a solid NBA body who will someday be great I’m quite sure. But he’s a freshman who can look dominant against cupcakes and the BE is different. He was getting the ball swatted out of his hands and passes intercepted the other night. There’s a lot of development that will happen but this whole idea that he’s just stopping by for a quick look see while on his way on the NBA train is crazy. And that's what we’ve been hearing from the know it all board pundits here since day one.
The guys who became NBA superstars needed time here first, Ray, Rip, Caron, Kemba AND they could shoot the freaking ball.

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of development that will happen but this whole idea that he’s just stopping by for a quick look see while on his way on the NBA train is crazy. And that's what we’ve been hearing from the know it all board pundits here since day one.
I believe that general observation came directly from all the NBA mock drafts that had him going in the top 10 in the 2024 draft. I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone saying all those mock drafts were wrong. Do you remember anyone on here saying that?

Reaction Score
This. How many minutes has he played this season? Way too early to jump to any conclusions. I'm surprised at some of you. I will be sure to bump this thread when he starts playing very well. It'll be easy to find this thread. I can just search for "Stephan" since I don't think anyone on here has ever called him that. :)
I agree with you. But if you took Balls first chunk of time vs a similar span with Castle, I think Ball has shown more spark and life.

I don’t think Castle is overhyped but he’s just not showing fire or guts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every one of the players you listed is retired from basketball. Most for a decade+.

And the one-and-done era has led to mostly terrible drafts in the last decade, to the point that teams throw in first round picks into trades the way they used to throw deep bench players. Look around the league. How many over-the-hill geezers like Durant are still considered superstars because the last 10 years of drafts have mostly sucked.

Even the players that do produce come from all over the first round. The top 4 players of the 2020 draft are Edwards (1), Ball (3), Halliburton (12) and Maxey (21). Getting a high draft pick is pointless.

Point me to the last team that won an NBA title or even made the finals leaning on a One-and-Done in the first 3 years of his career? If the Timberwolves make the NBA finals this year, it will be the first time in years where a team makes the finals with a One-and-Done that is still early in his career as one of the top 2-3 players.

Top college teams are going to keep getting older because of NIL. I expect the NBA draft to start to reflect that going forward. The superstars will still be able to do it, but NBA teams are going to be increasingly reluctant to take flyers on players whose realistic upside is "role player".

Reaction Score
And the one-and-done era has led to mostly terrible drafts in the last decade, to the point that teams throw in first round picks into trades the way they used to throw deep bench players. Look around the league. How many over-the-hill geezers like Durant are still considered superstars because the last 10 years of drafts have mostly sucked.

Even the players that do produce come from all over the first round. The top 4 players of the 2020 draft are Edwards (1), Ball (3), Halliburton (12) and Maxey (21). Getting a high draft pick is pointless.

Point me to the last team that won an NBA title or even made the finals leaning on a One-and-Done in the first 3 years of his career? If the Timberwolves make the NBA finals this year, it will be the first time in years where a team makes the finals with a One-and-Done that is still early in his career as one of the top 2-3 players.

Top college teams are going to keep getting older because of NIL. I expect the NBA draft to start to reflect that going forward. The superstars will still be able to do it, but NBA teams are going to be increasingly reluctant to take flyers on players whose realistic upside is "role player".
What an ridiculous parameter to set. So the one and done guys like Bam Adebayo on the Heat and Michael Porter Jr on the Nuggets in the NBA Finals last year don't count because they were in the league too long? In any event, the answer to your question is the Suns with DeAndre Ayton a whole 3 years ago

Reaction Score
Exactly the point. Rip was three years at UConn, Ray (3 yrs), Caron (2 yrs) and Rudy (2 yrs). That's not to mention Emeka (3) and Kemba (3). All NOT one-and-done's.

The point is NOT anything negative about Castle. He's gonna be special. But it is about the "right time" to leave the program and that sure doesn't look like it should be this year.
The right time to leave the program 20 years ago is quite different now. If you're going to be a top 5-10 pick or even a lottery pick it's always been the right time to leave for the player and in many ways the right time to leave for the program. All those guys you listed were all-Americans when they left. Nowadays you don't have to have any accolades to leave, if you show what the NBA is looking for they will make you one of the top picks now without any personal or team achievements. Hopefully Castle will get team and personal achievements but it probably won't factor at all in terms of his draft stock.

Reaction Score
Random observations

1) I have seen glimpses of Stephon's athleticism. He will be truly special when he gains some confidence and finishes. It will open up our offense for everyone. Experience is the world's greatest teacher.

2) It doesn't matter if he starts or not. 25 minutes is 25 minutes. I don't know why that's so important to some. Dan Hurley is our coach, infinitely more qualified than Boneyarders

3) If he came back next year, it would be great for our program, no harm done in any way imaginable. However, that's unlikely. They draft is based on potential. Just look at Whitmore last year. A huge bust from where I'm sitting, yet he still went very high. Also look at Bouknight, had a handful of great games, often injured, still was a lottery pick. I think Stephon has more potential than both of them
I disagree. There is a difference starting and coming off the bench. Some players are better suited to be that guy off the bench and provide a spark and some don’t. Castle is too talented to wait for 6 minutes each half before he comes in. Idc who the coach is they all know players better suited off bench. Example, Diarra, if he started and played 25 minute compared to coming off bench for 25 minutes is a difference.

I feel Hurley is the if it ain’t broke type and believe we will see Castle start very soon.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
What was with the two inbound passes he tried bouncing off of Hall players? That's a move you do to a totally distracted guy once in a blue moon not twice in one game against players actively trying to steal the inbound pass. He had some headscratchers in this game for sure.

Reaction Score
What an ridiculous parameter to set. So the one and done guys like Bam Adebayo on the Heat and Michael Porter Jr on the Nuggets in the NBA Finals last year don't count because they were in the league too long? In any event, the answer to your question is the Suns with DeAndre Ayton a whole 3 years ago
They suck as do all the other one and done players in the league. Embiid, Tatum, Booker, Edwards etc. all stink and none of the teams who drafted them are happy with the players they got.

Reaction Score
Look he’s a very talented player with a solid NBA body who will someday be great I’m quite sure. But he’s a freshman who can look dominant against cupcakes and the BE is different. He was getting the ball swatted out of his hands and passes intercepted the other night. There’s a lot of development that will happen but this whole idea that he’s just stopping by for a quick look see while on his way on the NBA train is crazy. And that's what we’ve been hearing from the know it all board pundits here since day one.
The guys who became NBA superstars needed time here first, Ray, Rip, Caron, Kemba AND they could shoot the freaking ball.
Exactly. Well said.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m perplexed how he’s a one and done.
That was a simply-stated, candid admission.
Me too
There are no guarantees, but I think this is a good answer...
Did you see what happened when he ran into the SH guard. He is an nba prospect because he is a true 6’6” and he is exceptionally strong with a good handle. That allows him to get anywhere on the court he wants to go. I think we are seeing trepidation due to lack of confidence associated with not only the injury but just getting back into the flow. I would say he looked like he was pressing but don't think that’s it. Personally if he just shows up and plays D against opposing 3’s or 4’s , and gives us 6 rebounds 5 assists and 9-10 points and average 30 minutes a game then by tourney time he may be ready to show more offense. But it was one game...
That was an on-point and sincere response that intended to be helpful. In the interest of keeping things simple, I left off the speculative closing.

Please consider that nobody tasked with developing the team's season would consider this a priority topic raised at an optimal time. Be thankful for that. Even if the thread is starting to get, er, lively, it's probably best regarded as an unforced error.

I'm hopeful that the coaches and players are preparing well for Saturday's game, and I invite the fans to bring their best to the necessary team-building that lies ahead.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How many over-the-hill geezers like Durant are still considered superstars because the last 10 years of drafts have mostly sucked.
First, I'm going to assume that this is a question, even if it was not punctuated as such.

In response, I'll answer "Zero," simply because there's too much self-scaffolding and too little support for your complex assertions on both sides of the quite unambiguous causal "because."
Point me to the last team that won an NBA title or even made the finals leaning on a One-and-Done in the first 3 years of his career?
This reads like a statement, even a challenge, so I'll ignore the question mark. Maybe you can trade it to the previous paragraph that I quoted.

I'd prefer that the lead not have been buried, but I found this rather credible...
What an ridiculous parameter to set...In any event, the answer to your question is the Suns with DeAndre Ayton a whole 3 years ago
Mentions of Porter and Adebayo registered with me as legit because I don't pay any attention to NBA until there are either 8 or 4 teams remaining, and even with me showcasing my NBA ignorance, it's tough not to crack a smile at this, when I generally want to be curmudgeonly about sarcasm.
They suck as do all the other one and done players in the league. Embiid, Tatum, Booker, Edwards etc. all stink and none of the teams who drafted them are happy with the players they got.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
That was a simply-stated, candid admission.

There are no guarantees, but I think this is a good answer...

That was an on-point and sincere response that intended to be helpful. In the interest of keeping things simple, I left off the speculative closing.

Please consider that nobody tasked with developing the team's season would consider this a priority topic raised at an optimal time. Be thankful for that. Even if the thread is starting to get, er, lively, it's probably best regarded as an unforced error.

I'm hopeful that the coaches and players are preparing well for Saturday's game, and I invite the fans to bring their best to the necessary team-building that lies ahead.

I'll be there doing my job :)

And I'm smart enough to know that coaching a highly regarded defending national championship team with a bunch of players that will be playing professionally somewhere is NOT MY JOB :)

Reaction Score
Castle has played a total of 6 college games, 110 minutes, yet some here think he’s a finished product for the season. Stephon is just rounding into game shape and will be a big contributor before the end of the season. At least that is my prediction.

Reaction Score
Castle has played a total of 6 college games, 110 minutes, yet some here think he’s a finished product for the season. Stephon is just rounding into game shape and will be a big contributor before the end of the season. At least that is my prediction.
Who said he’s finished?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It isn’t going to be good for us perception wise if Castle has to come back a second year.

I’m not making any judgments on him until he’s starting again and has a solid role in the offense.
We need him to defensively take up the slack left by Andre's leaving. Both Newton and Spencer are very much lacking in stopping guards and wings. We have no perimeter shot challenging and everybody is just driving down the lane. Can't put everything on Clingan in the paint and someone has got to get on those perimeter shooters. If he can really help anchor the defense anything on offense will be gravy. After that game all I could think of was the YouTube "Coach Knight half time speech". Staff had better do some rethinking about Big East games or it is going to be a long season.

Reaction Score
With a healthy Clingan we can beat anyone and that game doesn’t go out of control. Gonna have to show some muscle and toughness, that’s what SH showed. They played street ball going to the rim. Remember, we lost a lot of BE games last season WITH Adama, and I don’t know if anyone noticed but we don’t have him.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I agree with you. But if you took Balls first chunk of time vs a similar span with Castle, I think Ball has shown more spark and life.

I don’t think Castle is overhyped but he’s just not showing fire or guts.
I think you are looking at personality differences. Ball's problem is he sometimes shows too much spark and life.

Reaction Score
He’s going top 5 according to the gurus here, we have him for just this season. Can someone explain to me after watching last night how that happens?
Hurley pulled him in favor of Ball. Sloppy ball handling, shooting touch, it goes on. We know he will be much better but geez no dominant talent came in off that bench when he got in there, up till now. Hope it changes.
There is aling history of top picks being drafted who were not starters or who did not have dominant or great years. Remember these are NBA Prospects.

Reaction Score
Castle turned 19 in November. The NBA has scouted Castle for years. He just stepped up a level and now plays against bigger, stronger faster college players. His performance will be affected, but NOT the NBA projection of his development.

It doesn't matter if he has a bad game against Seton Hall. None of the above changes. The NBA opinion of Castle has already been formed. It may go up and down --a bit. That's all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom