Navy AD still likes Big East | The Boneyard

Navy AD still likes Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
at least for now...

“I think the Big East is still a very good football league, a strong football league,” Gladchuk told The Capital in a phone interview on Wednesday. “All the schools that remain field solid programs. These are the types of institutions the Naval Academy would compete against regardless of whether we were in a league together or not.”

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...cle_731b2b39-613e-5b29-800d-f0067cc54798.html

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
becuase after the BE blows up its cusa all day and thats the level they were at anyway. they may actually get a acc invite in the end of all this is things go a certain way so they are loving this actually. prob telling army hey yo come join this its great. im on a boat

Reaction Score
becuase after the BE blows up its cusa all ****ing day and thats the level they were at anyway. they may actually get a acc invite in the end of all this is things go a certain way so they are loving this **** actually. prob telling army hey yo come join this its ****ing great. im on a boat

Thanks for clarifying his message...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Some good quotes from Gladchuck in there, even if we've become so cynical that we read those quotes and assume it means Navy's out the door.

Gladchuk supported that decision and applauded Aresco for not “caving in” to Boise State’s demands. Aresco kept the athletic directors of all current and future Big East schools apprised of the Boise State negotiations and none supported giving the Idaho school special consideration with regard to the television contract.

“What Boise State wanted was outrageous and unprecedented. It was not palatable to any of the other Big East institutions,” Gladchuk said. “In the final analysis, Boise wasn’t worth it. There is zero television interest in Boise along the Eastern seaboard. What it tells me is the Mountain West was desperate. Clearly, the Mountain West was willing to make whatever concessions necessary to keep Boise in the fold.”
And FWIW what's holding back Aresco from getting a TV deal now? I actually gotta say, in this case nelsonmuntz is right. #BegHarder - or at least the public perception that UConn and Cincy are ready to jump conferences at a moment's notice - is causing the networks to balk. Maybe the networks want a GOR?

Reaction Score
The Navy coach is right. It is still a decent football league. It is time to take the Crosby, Stills and Nash approach and "Love the one you're with".

The Giants new coach has brought the sun back to my sports world.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At least someone (besides Aresco) is standing up for the league and saying positive stuff. I'm also feeling good about the fact that Navy is willing to say positive stuff, since that means the chances of them staying are greater (and I still think they bring something to the negotiating table in terms of tv contract talks). At risk of getting yelled at by other Boneyarders, we need as much positive talk about the NBE as we can possibly muster, even if it is a short-term arrangement for all...

pj

Reaction Score
As Boise proved, you can be a national power by going 11-1 in a weak league with 1-2 victories over marquee teams each year.

If that's our fate, lets do it. I don't want to hear excuses for not excelling on the field. If we fall out of a BCS conference, start taking partial qualifiers and provide basket weaving classes for the players and make some noise on the field as the best team not in a top conference. Get fans excited and build an audience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As Boise proved, you can be a national power by going 11-1 in a weak league with 1-2 victories over marquee teams each year.

If that's our fate, lets do it. I don't want to hear excuses for not excelling on the field. If we fall out of a BCS conference, start taking partial qualifiers and provide basket weaving classes for the players and make some noise on the field as the best team not in a top conference. Get fans excited and build an audience.
Hmn, I'm undecided as whether or not to like this. Can't disagree with the strategy, though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What was Navy's out clause? Am I misremembering, or do they have to right to back out without penalty if Boise isn't in the league? If that's the case, Gladchuck's comments are even more interesting.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Two things.

The MWC concession to Boise over it's home games appears to be more a concession by CBS towards the conference. The conference offers those games to the highest bidder and then shares the revenue. The revenue from these games doesn't go to Boise exclusively. Boise's major win is the 50/50 split over bowl appearances. That is huge for Boise!

Gladchuck is taking the best approach to this situation. He builds up the reputation of the NBE in hopes it lands a decent media contract. If not Navy doesn't commit because there are enough clauses in the contract between Navy and the BE that will help Navy avoid penalties. So his public statements offer value, but I'm not sure they will be enough to impress the media.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Honestly, I don't even give a s*** anymore.

This is a duck*ing business and Louisville got ahead not by being even a remotely decent academic institution, but by giving the impression that they'd eat babies if it meant winning games. So duck* it. Let's hire someone who will just win football games, preferably someone with a southern drawl - that seems to impress people. I'd hope we'd graduate enough players to avoid being a laughing stock, but again, if we have to break a few eggs on the academic side, so be it.

I'd like it if we didn't recruit players directly out of prisons, but if they're really good, I'm for it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'd like it if we didn't recruit players directly out of prisons, but if they're really good, I'm for it.

More basketweaving courses that require a purchased term-paper and a couple class appearances. The SEC was recently alerted that UNC is now playing Southern football the old school way. The NCAA gave them a big pass and a thumbs up. UConn, OTOH, tried to push attendance and academics and fails its football players by treating a degree like it has more credibility and importance than winning a BCS bowl.

Jsut hand the degrees out like water. SEC style.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't even give a s*** anymore.

This is a duck*ing business and Louisville got ahead not by being even a remotely decent academic institution, but by giving the impression that they'd eat babies if it meant winning games. So duck* it. Let's hire someone who will just win football games, preferably someone with a southern drawl - that seems to impress people. I'd hope we'd graduate enough players to avoid being a laughing stock, but again, if we have to break a few eggs on the academic side, so be it.

so u know admist that mike leach 2 years ago was thew answer? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104