NAU v Northern Colorado

Who wins?

• NAU

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern Colorado

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Who prevails in this Big Sky matchup as seven and seven Northern Colorado visits Flagstaff and the seven and eight Lumberjacks.

Reaction Score
IMG_20200118_124049526.jpg

Reaction Score
I would guess there's about a hundred and fifty fans in attendance including 20 in the pep band. NAU has 20,000 students on the campus here and students returned last week. Flagstaff has about 50,000 with another 30,000 close within 1 hour drive time.

Reaction Score
The Jacks are seeking their fifth consecutive victory. This is a shoot first team that loves to play offense defense not so much. Makes it very surprising that at the end of the first quarter of the Jacks lead 26 to 10. The 26 is not so much of a surprise but the 10 is.

Reaction Score
Best half of the year by far for the Jacks. 41-18. Coach has figured out a way to generate some defense which has been largely absent so far this year.

NAU President Rita Cheng attended the first home game of the 2020 season. As with most Universities students attend athletic events at no monetary charge although there is an athletic fee.

Aside from the pep band I don't see very many students today. I would suspect that the average age of the crowd is about 60.

Today the temperature is 35, sunny, with a bit of a cool breeze. There's a great deal to do there in northern Arizona including skiing, snowboarding, and snow shoeing this time of year.

That's said the lack of turnout is painfully obvious in the 10,000 seat Walkup Sky dome.

Earlier this year the Jack's point guard Caitlin Malvar in the double overtime 114 - 107 victory over Sacramento achieved the first triple-double in NAU women's basketball history.

This is an exciting team to watch that plays with passion and intensity on the offensive end and in a major development defense today. Prior to today's game I believe NAU was allowing 80 points per game so holding Northern Colorado to 18 is an amazing achievement for this team.

Today is anecdotal evidence of the challenge women's basketball faces in expanding the audience.

Reaction Score
Jack's extend winning streak to five games longest in the Big Sky with an 72-45 win over Northern Colorado. By far the Jack's best defensive effort of the season.

We were treated to a highly energetic and entertaining game at least if you're an NAU fan.

Next week a tough game against Portland State on the road. Another road game follows as Sacramento gets a chance to avenge the 114 - 107 double overtime loss in Flagstaff.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
'Today the temperature is 35, sunny, with a bit of a cool breeze. There's a great deal to do there in northern Arizona including skiing, snowboarding, and snow shoeing this time of year.'

35? I was under the impression the weather was always warm to hot in Arizona, or, is that just in a certain part of the state?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
'Today the temperature is 35, sunny, with a bit of a cool breeze. There's a great deal to do there in northern Arizona including skiing, snowboarding, and snow shoeing this time of year.'

35? I was under the impression the weather was always warm to hot in Arizona, or, is that just in a certain part of the state?

Flagstaff is high elevation, almost 7000 feet. It's gonna get cold in the winter.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Northern Arizona and southern Arizona have vastly different climates

Reaction Score

Flagstaff and NAU are in the San Francisco Peaks. Mt Humpherys the highest point in the Arizona at 12663 is 4 miles from downtown Flag. It is one of two major ski locations in Arizona. Mount Humphreys is one of my to go to hikes every summer. 2019 I probably made that hit hike three times a month May through October.

Flagstaff is at an elevation of 7000 feet.

Flagstaff is approximately 75 miles from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Obviously great hiking there. Each fall I start on the north rim and complete a rim to the rim hike. Amazing! I'm very lucky to have a place up here.

As another poster pointed out Southern Arizona is also much different. Earlier in my life I spent twenty summers in Bisbee in Southeastern Arizona in Cochise county. It's one of a half a dozen mountain sky islands in the state of Arizona at an elevation of 5400 ft it's higher than Denver.

My second home in the Phoenix metropolitan area is enjoying a temperature of 70 + degrees today. My oldest daughter lives in Tucson what the temperature is likewise quite moderate. I'll be looking forward to seeing her this coming Friday for the rematch of the ASU - U of A game at McKale Center in Tucson.

For anyone visiting Arizona of course the Grand Canyon would be number one on your list and Sedona. Given enough time I would recommend the south eastern part of the state down in Cochise county. Tombstone, Bisbee and Douglas as well as a trip across the border to Mexico..

Last edited:

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
azfan,

A youtuber I follow reside in Arizona, I'm not sure what city, must be in the southern part. In every other vlog she talk / complain about the triple digit weather. The few times I've been to Phoenix, granted it was during the summer, it was nice and hot.

Thanks for the information.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom