NAU Summary & Charting | The Boneyard

NAU Summary & Charting

Reaction Score
Bringing this post series back from last year for the beginning of the year, as it's most useful for figuring out how the new pieces are playing and fitting in. I've watched the replay back while taking notes.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice drives, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists, including potentials and hockey assists or things like strong outlet passes that start a good break out of nothing), offensive and contested defensive rebounds, strong 1v1 defense and contests, drawing fouls, steals, ball denials that disrupt opponent offense, blocks, especially strong screens that lead to advantages. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Even if result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the individual processes (so a guy can play bad D even if we don't give up points, for example).

PlayersPOS (+)NEG (-)NET
Newton291217
Spencer19712
Castle23914
Karaban20515
Clingan24321
Samson1459
Ball844
Diarra1239
Ross220
Stewart514
Singare101
Apostolos202

Name (Positive, Negative, Net)

Newton
(29, 12, +17) - The most positive plays and the most negative, partially to be expected as a point guard who leads the team in minutes. Newton had a lot of strong drives to the hoop in this one. Really set the tone for the offense. Led to a couple layups and a bunch of drawn fouls. He also had a number of good passes for 3s and dunks, but a couple passes were over aggressive and led to turnovers (credited in box score 3 assists and 3 turnovers). There were a couple times where he made a bad play at one end and immediately followed it up with a good play on other end (bad pass turnover, chased down the other end and blocked the transition layup.)

Spencer (19, 7, +12) - Great passing on the day. I have him down with 11 valuable passes vs. 1 bad pass turnover. Plus he made 2/3 from 3. As I thought might be the case, when curling off our off ball sets, he's penetrating and looking to pass more often than taking the quick trigger 3s like Hawkins. NAU was aggressively defending those off screen looks and we made them pay in the paint instead of the perimeter. We were also using him and the other guards to backscreen the roll man's defender, which led to a bunch of dunks on PnR lobs. I also liked him doing a few of the Andre Jackson shovel lobs to shooters like Alex in transition.

Castle (23, 9, +14) - It's funny, I didn't expect his game to line up so much exactly like how Hurley has been describing him in recent weeks. He was really good on the defensive side of the ball for most of the game. Really good. And then just like randomly let a guy leak behind him on a fast break or randomly tried to stop ball at halfcourt in a semi-break for no reason instead of running with him and playing actual defense. Just those freshman moments on top of otherwise stellar team play. His passing was very good at times, some advanced cross court kick outs to the corner, and was quite unfortunate to only get 2 assists. A few times Clingan was fouled or "blocked" (aka fouled) or the guys missed open 3s. But then he also had a bad pass on a 3v2 break and a couple ill-advised and/or poorly executed passes to bigs in the paint. Flashes of strong play and freshman moments, but overall definitely strongly positive play especially with his defense. Has a bit of a weird release on his FT and very high arcing.

Karaban (20, 5, +15) - Led the team in +/- at +33 and net RAPM. One of the main differences between the team this year and last year is that Karaban's role now is much more about driving to the hoop as opposed to firing over the top entry passes to Sanogo. It's an interesting place to notice the lack of Sanogo, but that's the first way it hit me. Shot well, looked strong on his moves. Loved the lefty drive and finish. He and Spencer both had over 170 O-ratings, which is basically like "Excellent game, don't change anything." D was mostly very good, but helped that their starting 4 Towt was out.

Clingan (24. 3. +21 MVP) - This isn't surprising. The dude is a monster. Every time he touches the ball, he draws a foul or gets a dunk. We rebounded 69% of our misses with him in the game. His impact on everyone else is really strong, too. Newton had a negative ADJ+ rating (think Porpagatu or efficiency scaled for usage) with him off the court and an elite mark with Clingan on the court. As a team we fouled a lot on defense without him, but he cleans up everything when he's in. I did have a similar thought that others had expressed here that he looked a little heavier, slower, and more earthbound this year than last year. I watched a few of the tournament games last season recently and he looked svelte (and he was listed 265 compared to 280 this season). His rebounding should only be better with the added weight, but I have to imagine the NBA folks might not actually like it as it will make him worse guarding in space.

Samson (14, 5, +9) - Great play finisher and vertical spacer. Teams are really going to have to respect his roll gravity after today, which should really open up the corners for 3s. Defense was even a little better than I thought live, especially relative to my memory of his work in the first half. Drawbacks are mostly the fouls. Did you hear in Hurley's postgame where he mentioned Samson averaged 19 points per in the 2 scrimmages? The 3 he took looked pretty ugly. Shot it practically from his waist.

Diarra (12, 3, +9) - I think this is his best game I've charted. Only 1 foul, no turnovers. Just a lot of really solid defensive play, passing, and even some rim attack scoring. A lot less "hit or miss" and more "almost all hit".

Ball (8, 4, +4) - Really liked his defensive work. Forced a couple turnovers with his ball pressure, which outside of Diarra and Castle was mostly lacking. Had a couple nice backdoor cuts, although he got one of those attempts blocked. 0/3 from 3 is disappointing considering Hurley said he was shooting the cover off the ball in practice, but small sample size obviously.

Ross (2, 2, 0) - Mostly seemed to be in the right spots. Most of his impact was "his guy gets a pass, Ross is on him, his guy passes it away". Which doesn't always show up much in my charting, but should please the coaches. He fouled the 3 point shooter at the end of the shot clock (and I tried to look and I do think he got him on the wrist), but it was inches away from a block. He had a nice pass to a cutting Karaban for a layup.

Stewart (5, 1, +4) - He had a negative plus/minus, but I don't think anything in the charting points to him defensively. Fault mostly lies with others and random shotmaking variance. Couple nice takes to the basket including an And-1 off an offensive rebound, otherwise not very involved on either end.

Singare and Apostolos were garbage time, obviously, but Apostolos had a couple dimes for open 3s and Singare had that block at the end.

Here's the game Impact chart from Hoop-Explorer:

Reaction Score
Good work here. Thanks for it.
The Newton stat is clearly going to be the one I'd watch year long. He showed a bunch of that same resiliency after a neg play at the end of last year, and that was a huge reason why we won. That mind frame is hard to come by.

caw

Reaction Score
Awesome work. Loved these last year and continue to love these this year.

Reaction Score
Extremely small sample size alert...
Our best lineup was the 2nd half opener: Newton/Diarra/Spencer/Karaban/Clingan. We scored on all 4 possessions (including a 3 and an And-1) and only let them score once in that span. Also played a couple possessions together in the first half, overall 13 points scored in 5 possessions, and 4 given up over 6 def possessions. +9 points in 5/6 possessions.

caw

Reaction Score
Extremely small sample size alert...
Our best lineup was the 2nd half opener: Newton/Diarra/Spencer/Karaban/Clingan. We scored on all 4 possessions (including a 3 and an And-1) and only let them score once in that span. Also played a couple possessions together in the first half, overall 13 points scored in 5 possessions, and 4 given up over 6 def possessions. +9 points in 5/6 possessions.
EvanMiya has the same as best lineup.

Castle/Ball rated the best as two man lineup.
Castle/Ball/Spencer and Castle/Ball/Diarra rated the best as three man lineups

Clingan was by far the highest rated player, followed by the other four starters who were all rated similarly to each other. Diarra came in sixth.

Reaction Score
I’m kinda surprised Apostolos/Andrew didn’t rate higher as a two man lineup.

My guess is that these deep dive stats don’t start becoming meaningful until you get 6-8 games / 20-30min each for comparison purposes

Reaction Score

My guess is that these deep dive stats don’t start becoming meaningful until you get 6-8 games / 20-30min each for comparison purposes

I also wonder how much position effects things. Bigs are in a position to make way more mistakes on defense than guards and wings, for example.

Reaction Score
Bringing this post series back from last year for the beginning of the year, as it's most useful for figuring out how the new pieces are playing and fitting in. I've watched the replay back while taking notes.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice drives, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists, including potentials and hockey assists or things like strong outlet passes that start a good break out of nothing), offensive and contested defensive rebounds, strong 1v1 defense and contests, drawing fouls, steals, ball denials that disrupt opponent offense, blocks, especially strong screens that lead to advantages. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Even if result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the individual processes (so a guy can play bad D even if we don't give up points, for example).

PlayersPOS (+)NEG (-)NET
Newton291217
Spencer19712
Castle23914
Karaban20515
Clingan24321
Samson1459
Ball844
Diarra1239
Ross220
Stewart514
Singare101
Apostolos202

Name (Positive, Negative, Net)

Newton
(29, 12, +17) - The most positive plays and the most negative, partially to be expected as a point guard who leads the team in minutes. Newton had a lot of strong drives to the hoop in this one. Really set the tone for the offense. Led to a couple layups and a bunch of drawn fouls. He also had a number of good passes for 3s and dunks, but a couple passes were over aggressive and led to turnovers (credited in box score 3 assists and 3 turnovers). There were a couple times where he made a bad play at one end and immediately followed it up with a good play on other end (bad pass turnover, chased down the other end and blocked the transition layup.)

Spencer (19, 7, +12) - Great passing on the day. I have him down with 11 valuable passes vs. 1 bad pass turnover. Plus he made 2/3 from 3. As I thought might be the case, when curling off our off ball sets, he's penetrating and looking to pass more often than taking the quick trigger 3s like Hawkins. NAU was aggressively defending those off screen looks and we made them pay in the paint instead of the perimeter. We were also using him and the other guards to backscreen the roll man's defender, which led to a bunch of dunks on PnR lobs. I also liked him doing a few of the Andre Jackson shovel lobs to shooters like Alex in transition.

Castle (23, 9, +14) - It's funny, I didn't expect his game to line up so much exactly like how Hurley has been describing him in recent weeks. He was really good on the defensive side of the ball for most of the game. Really good. And then just like randomly let a guy leak behind him on a fast break or randomly tried to stop ball at halfcourt in a semi-break for no reason instead of running with him and playing actual defense. Just those freshman moments on top of otherwise stellar team play. His passing was very good at times, some advanced cross court kick outs to the corner, and was quite unfortunate to only get 2 assists. A few times Clingan was fouled or "blocked" (aka fouled) or the guys missed open 3s. But then he also had a bad pass on a 3v2 break and a couple ill-advised and/or poorly executed passes to bigs in the paint. Flashes of strong play and freshman moments, but overall definitely strongly positive play especially with his defense. Has a bit of a weird release on his FT and very high arcing.

Karaban (20, 5, +15) - Led the team in +/- at +33 and net RAPM. One of the main differences between the team this year and last year is that Karaban's role now is much more about driving to the hoop as opposed to firing over the top entry passes to Sanogo. It's an interesting place to notice the lack of Sanogo, but that's the first way it hit me. Shot well, looked strong on his moves. Loved the lefty drive and finish. He and Spencer both had over 170 O-ratings, which is basically like "Excellent game, don't change anything." D was mostly very good, but helped that their starting 4 Towt was out.

Clingan (24. 3. +21 MVP) - This isn't surprising. The dude is a monster. Every time he touches the ball, he draws a foul or gets a dunk. We rebounded 69% of our misses with him in the game. His impact on everyone else is really strong, too. Newton had a negative ADJ+ rating (think Porpagatu or efficiency scaled for usage) with him off the court and an elite mark with Clingan on the court. As a team we fouled a lot on defense without him, but he cleans up everything when he's in. I did have a similar thought that others had expressed here that he looked a little heavier, slower, and more earthbound this year than last year. I watched a few of the tournament games last season recently and he looked svelte (and he was listed 265 compared to 280 this season). His rebounding should only be better with the added weight, but I have to imagine the NBA folks might not actually like it as it will make him worse guarding in space.

Samson (14, 5, +9) - Great play finisher and vertical spacer. Teams are really going to have to respect his roll gravity after today, which should really open up the corners for 3s. Defense was even a little better than I thought live, especially relative to my memory of his work in the first half. Drawbacks are mostly the fouls. Did you hear in Hurley's postgame where he mentioned Samson averaged 19 points per in the 2 scrimmages? The 3 he took looked pretty ugly. Shot it practically from his waist.

Diarra (12, 3, +9) - I think this is his best game I've charted. Only 1 foul, no turnovers. Just a lot of really solid defensive play, passing, and even some rim attack scoring. A lot less "hit or miss" and more "almost all hit".

Ball (8, 4, +4) - Really liked his defensive work. Forced a couple turnovers with his ball pressure, which outside of Diarra and Castle was mostly lacking. Had a couple nice backdoor cuts, although he got one of those attempts blocked. 0/3 from 3 is disappointing considering Hurley said he was shooting the cover off the ball in practice, but small sample size obviously.

Ross (2, 2, 0) - Mostly seemed to be in the right spots. Most of his impact was "his guy gets a pass, Ross is on him, his guy passes it away". Which doesn't always show up much in my charting, but should please the coaches. He fouled the 3 point shooter at the end of the shot clock (and I tried to look and I do think he got him on the wrist), but it was inches away from a block. He had a nice pass to a cutting Karaban for a layup.

Stewart (5, 1, +4) - He had a negative plus/minus, but I don't think anything in the charting points to him defensively. Fault mostly lies with others and random shotmaking variance. Couple nice takes to the basket including an And-1 off an offensive rebound, otherwise not very involved on either end.

Singare and Apostolos were garbage time, obviously, but Apostolos had a couple dimes for open 3s and Singare had that block at the end.

Here's the game Impact chart from Hoop-Explorer:
Thank you for taking the time this is great. Maybe the foot injury impacted Donovan’s weight a bit. Playing starter minutes that might even off. I trust the staff and his family are watching him closely with a lottery pick on the line.
Totally off topic but a recent mock has Castle to the Bulls. Idk why but I really like that spot for him. They’re going to need a PG with Balls injuries and he won’t need to focus on scoring right away as a top pick.

Reaction Score
This is great stuff.

Would be interesting to track how these stats compare to last season averages during the period you charted.

Reaction Score
Tremendous stuff, I love these reports. Honest question. How do you do it? I coached HS and spent countless hours watching film for tendencies but never with this detail

Reaction Score
Tremendous stuff, I love these reports. Honest question. How do you do it? I coached HS and spent countless hours watching film for tendencies but never with this detail

It's a totally different kind of scout which is why I really like reading these. This would be a great way to help you notice the players who maybe don't score but do a lot of little things to help the team a la AJ3.

When I was scouting way too many hs and AAU teams, it was always about who is left handed, who can shoot, what kind of basic actions are they running, etc. And trying to make that information palatable for a bunch of stupid kids.

Reaction Score
This is great stuff.

Would be interesting to track how these stats compare to last season averages during the period you charted.
Last year's first game against Stonehill:
PlayersPosNegNet
Newton1284
Hawkins624
JacksonInjuryInjuryOut
Karaban18513
Sanogo18216
Diarra1688
Alleyne954
Calcaterra47-3
Johnson440
Clingan1798
Springs000

We won that game only by 31 and had 15 turnovers,, so not surprising there are a lot more positives in a game we won by 45. But also very likely I was stingier at the start of last season. I'm a big human bias element in this. I try to keep my criteria the same, but I'm sure it has evolved a bit over time (like maybe I only rewarded a good pass when it led to a wide open shot instead of a somewhat open shot, etc.). I should go back and chart a couple games from last season to see what I'd give them now. .

Reaction Score
Yeah as @husky429 says, I'm assuming it's somewhat different than a coaching scout. I'm usually trying to look for the most descriptive "what" (but a lot of possessions are just "Clingan oreb, Clingan putback."), whereas coaches are probably often more interested in "how". How did Clingan's get position to get the rebound, how did his defender guard him, etc. How often does he use his left, etc.

My brain gets excited by analysis in general, so that helps. I split my screen and take quick notes on every noteworthy play both sides of the court, pausing and going back 10 sec if I need to unravel what happened or if I can't take my notes during normal play downtime. I've trained myself to watch all 5 guys and not just the ball (I have to stay focused on being unfocused, if that makes sense lol). The notes are a bit like a custom play-by-play where I have key words I use to make assigning the pos/neg later faster, but I will add more info for complicated series of events or unusual plays. Then at the end I ctrl+F my notes for the guy's name and go through and add it all up. Was actually an issue in this game because I usually use last names and I used Samson in 1st half and Johnson in 2nd lol. Thankfully I caught it. Watching the game live, then in detail in replay, and then going over the game log for tallying is essentially a 3rd time so it helps me to see patterns and gives a strong impression for when I'm typing up the quick summaries.

And then I just know all the good stat sites and how to use them well from years of being really into specifically college hoop stats. That level of stat isn't available to the vast majority of HS coaches I'm guessing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah as @husky429 says, I'm assuming it's somewhat different than a coaching scout. I'm usually trying to look for the most descriptive "what" (but a lot of possessions are just "Clingan oreb, Clingan putback."), whereas coaches are probably often more interested in "how". How did Clingan's get position to get the rebound, how did his defender guard him, etc. How often does he use his left, etc.

My brain gets excited by analysis in general, so that helps. I split my screen and take quick notes on every noteworthy play both sides of the court, pausing and going back 10 sec if I need to unravel what happened or if I can't take my notes during normal play downtime. I've trained myself to watch all 5 guys and not just the ball (I have to stay focused on being unfocused, if that makes sense lol). The notes are a bit like a custom play-by-play where I have key words I use to make assigning the pos/neg later faster, but I will add more info for complicated series of events or unusual plays. Then at the end I ctrl+F my notes for the guy's name and go through and add it all up. Was actually an issue in this game because I usually use last names and I used Samson in 1st half and Johnson in 2nd lol. Thankfully I caught it. Watching the game live, then in detail in replay, and then going over the game log for tallying is essentially a 3rd time so it helps me to see patterns and gives a strong impression for when I'm typing up the quick summaries.

And then I just know all the good stat sites and how to use them well from years of being really into specifically college hoop stats. That level of stat isn't available to the vast majority of HS coaches I'm guessing.
Yeah, those details matter. Also, Clingan gets quite a few O-rebounds from his own misses. I wouldn't call those positives exactly. Certainly beats losing the ball, but the miss sort of cancels it for me.

Reaction Score
Yeah, those details matter. Also, Clingan gets quite a few O-rebounds from his own misses. I wouldn't call those positives exactly. Certainly beats losing the ball, but the miss sort of cancels it for me.
Yeah missing a layup/bunny is a negative in my system, so those particular orebs balance out.

Reaction Score
Watched the NAU game again and the player that stood out to me was Jalen Stewart. Good defense, boxed out and hustled a ton. Had a nice drive to the basket and looked good at the line. Castle really needs to play better defense, had several plays where he could have stepped in to stop penetration and just waved his arms. Diarra also played well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom