Nation's No. 2 recruit Joyce Edwards commits to South Carolina over LSU | The Boneyard

Nation's No. 2 recruit Joyce Edwards commits to South Carolina over LSU

Reaction Score
20231116_085933.jpg

Reaction Score
If that is true, that's insane what programs are able to get away with under the guise of NIL. It has been taken light years beyond what the original intent of it was.
Guy is a South Carolina alum who owns a bar in New Orleans and claims to know what LSU offered Edwards. He posted that before she announced and said he was worried bc Mulkey viewed Edwards as a huge PR statement - we can go in your backyard and take whoever we want.

Fwiw, said the concern was Carolina’s reply was essentially ‘we’re not going to do that. We want you and have shown you that for five years. Come here and be great or go there and good luck.’

Reaction Score
If that is true, that's insane what programs are able to get away with under the guise of NIL. It has been taken light years beyond what the original intent of it was.
I’ve heard some schools even give away a diploma worth seven figures to girls who would never be admitted if they weren’t terrific basketball players.

sun

Reaction Score
Here is Edwards' announcement. The 1st reason she gave is that she chose to play for a coach that looked like she does. Dawn also went out of her way to structure a special individualized course of study for her.

Joyce answered media questions after announcing her decision beginning after 8:55 in the video.

Reaction Score
Here is Edwards' announcement. The 1st reason she gave is that she chose to play for a coach that looked like she does. Dawn also went out of her way to structure a special individualized course of study for her.

Joyce answered media questions after announcing her decision beginning after 8:55 in the video.

I've given some thought to that.

The Honors College has long had a curriculum option that lets you structure your own course of study. I'm guessing that is what they proposed.

Probably take civil engineering degree. USC had an existing minor in environmental engineering so she'll likely do that, some individual study, and maybe some liberal arts and science courses on environmental issues generally.

Difficult to balance. Wish her very well.

Reaction Score
I've given some thought to that.

The Honors College has long had a curriculum option that lets you structure your own course of study. I'm guessing that is what they proposed.

Probably take civil engineering degree. USC had an existing minor in environmental engineering so she'll likely do that, some individual study, and maybe some liberal arts and science courses on environmental issues generally.

Difficult to balance. Wish her very well.
Most recruits have no idea the demands of either college sports or an academically rigorous course of study. Lot of bright kids who would be B/C students if they didn’t have all the demands of athletics soaking up study hours change their majors as they start to figure it out.

Reaction Score
Most recruits have no idea the demands of either college sports or an academically rigorous course of study. Lot of bright kids who would be B/C students if they didn’t have all the demands of athletics soaking up study hours change their majors as they start to figure it out.
You obviously do not know Joyce well. Just like Josh Dobbs who at Tennessee as their qb finished a very highly demanding academic degree, Joyce has always been academically different. She maintained a 5.1 GPA while participating in three sports at a high level. She twice played in the state championship basketball game on a Friday night and shown up to an 8:00 am Soccer match with her high school team, after being given the opportunity to take a week and rest. Some people are different and she is one. I have a close friend who is an engineer with a degree from South Carolina and stated what he has seen about her academics tells him she will be able to do this and most likely have no problem. Carolina has had a couple of players who have been part of the Honors college during their careers, one being Brionna Dickerson, who was also an outstanding player.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You obviously do not know Joyce well. Just like Josh Dobbs who at Tennessee as their qb finished a very highly demanding academic degree, Joyce has always been academically different. She maintained a 5.1 GPA while participating in three sports at a high level. She twice played in the state championship basketball game on a Friday night and shown up to an 8:00 am Soccer match with her high school team, after being given the opportunity to take a week and rest. Some people are different and she is one. I have a close friend who is an engineer with a degree from South Carolina and stated what he has seen about her academics tells him she will be able to do this and most likely have no problem. Carolina has had a couple of players who have been part of the Honors college during their careers, one being Brionna Dickerson, who was also an outstanding player.
+1. Stanford doesn't recruit a lot of the top WBB players because they aren't admissible. We'd long been recruiting Edwards, and no one was concerned she wouldn't be admitted. She has the chops to be outstanding wherever she goes, and I'm only sorry it wasn't to the Farm. SCAR got a real one.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Question: how does one have a 5.1 GPA? I heard that mentioned during her announcement.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Question: how does one have a 5.1 GPA? I heard that mentioned during her announcement.
I've been out of high school for a year or two, but AP courses have an extra point added (A = 5.0, etc.). I don't know where the .1 comes from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom