National Rankings -- What Just Happened?? | The Boneyard

National Rankings -- What Just Happened??

Reaction Score
Okay, so on Jan 29, UConn was ranked #1 in the AP poll with 48 first place votes.

Houston was ranked #4 with one first place vote.

Since then both teams have gone 10-1 in their conferences.

UConn has played three ranked teams, beating Marquette home and away amd losing at Creighton. Houston has played four ranked teams, losing at Kansas, winning at Baylor and winning at home against Kansas and Iowa State.

Poll result: Houston is now ranked first with 52 first place votes. UConn is second with 6 first place votes.

I mean, like, huh?

Reaction Score
Okay, so on Jan 29, UConn was ranked #1 in the AP poll with 48 first place votes.

UConn has played three ranked teams, beating Marquette home and away amd losing at Creighton. Houston has played four ranked teams, losing at Kansas, winning at Baylor and winning at home against Kansas and Iowa State.

Poll result: Houston is now ranked first with 52 first place votes. UConn is second with 6 first place votes.

I mean, like, huh?
What matter is the ring not the ranking

Reaction Score
Simple answer is that we lost more recently than Houston. That's how the AP Poll works at the very top of the rankings - you very very rarely leap the team in front of you unless they lose. Some individual voters might flip based on weekly results, but the overall masses do not.

Reaction Score
we jumped purdue a week or two ago even without them losing so that's something.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Let's see how they do in their tournament. It'll be much harder for them with a short bench.

Reaction Score
I think the real question is what happens if all 3: UConn, UH and Purdue win their conference tourneys?

Who’s the overall number 1? I assume Houston.

Reaction Score
we jumped purdue a week or two ago even without them losing so that's something.

In fairness the week before we jumped Purdue they had 1 single more point than us in the ranking. Thats basically the equivalent of 1 single voter moving one of us 1 single spot.

Reaction Score
Let them have the target. All this Sampson “greatness”, two final fours in 35 years

I want Houston the final. I hated the AAC years and how we would lose to them

Reaction Score
And I think purdue will end up with the #1 overall seed, baring a loss. As with crowning PoTY Eddy in October before season even started, these same voters voted Purdue #1 overall at beginning of season. These writers love to show they were right hense they will make it so. Just watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I mean, like, huh?

Who cares what UConn is ranked on some random Monday in the dead of winter? What are we, Pitt fans?

Reaction Score

I mean, like, huh?
Rankings are extremely path-dependent. Seeding is not.

Reaction Score
And I think purdue will end up with the #1 overall seed, baring a loss. As with crowning PoTY Eddy in October before season even started, these same voters voted Purdue #1 overall at beginning of season. These writers love to show they were right hense they will make it so. Just watch.
Good thing the writers don't pick the bracket then

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I mean, like, huh?
This is your complaint and a life altering occurance
Who gives a crap about the votes.
Games need to be played and won until the very final buzzer of the NCAA tournament.
That's all that matters
Ask Kelvin and he would agree with me and others here who feel that is all BS!

Reaction Score
Let them have the target. All this Sampson “greatness”, two final fours in 35 years

I want Houston the final. I hated the AAC years and how we would lose to them
Only team in history to go through only double digit seeds to get to the FF during one of those two trips.

Reaction Score
Simple answer is that we lost more recently than Houston. That's how the AP Poll works at the very top of the rankings - you very very rarely leap the team in front of you unless they lose. Some individual voters might flip based on weekly results, but the overall masses do not.
Plus Houston played a tougher schedule. 4 ranked teams to 3. And 1 of our games had an asterisk ( Marquettes best player was out). That’s how it would be seen by many voters I imagine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom