National Player of the Year: Anatomy of a Campaign | The Boneyard

National Player of the Year: Anatomy of a Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While watching the Notre Dame/Duke game on Saturday I noticed how much broadcast time was being devoted to discussing Jewell Loyd. I began keeping track of how many times she was mentioned by name (either first, last or both). I did the same thing for Sunday's game. I also made the same counts for Breanna Stewart in the UConn games. I was able to track counts for about half of Saturday's games and all of Sunday's. I made sure I counted just the portion of UConn's Saturday game that I counted for Notre Dame. I only counted the times a players name was uttered and not the times pronouns were used even though the antecedent was clear.

Loyd was mentioned 106 times and Stewart 75.

Then I went back and checked ESPN's box scored and play-by-play to see how often each player did something game-worthy enough to get mentioned in the box score thinking that if it was worth tracking in the box score it was at least worthy of consideration for broadcast.

Shooting: Loyd 13 of 25; Stewart 5 of 15
Free Throws: Loyd 0; Stewart 8 of 9
Rebounds: Loyd 10; Stewart 19
Assists: Loyd 2; Stewart 5
Steals: Loyd 3; Stewart 5
Blocks: Loyd 0; Stewart 8
Turn Overs: Loyd 8; Stewart 3
Fouls: Loyd 1; Stewart 2

Total Game Worthy Events: Loyd 49; Stewart 66
Ratio of mentions to game worthy events: Loyd 2.16; Stewart 1.14

I'm not accusing ESPN of orchestrating a campaign to have Jewell Loyd crowned NPOY for I have no such information. What I am saying is that if such a campaign were to be undertaken this is how, in part, to do it.

What I haven't included:
ESPN ran an 80+ second infomercial on Loyd during the game where just the greatness of Loyd was discussed. Nothing about the game, just Loyd's performance. I didn't include how many times Loyd's name was mentioned during that span in my counts. ESPN ran no such corresponding segment on Stewart.

During yesterday's ND game ESPN ran a segment on who the NPOY should be. Loyd was mentioned 5 times, Stewart 3 times. One of the announcers took sides and picked a player. Can you guess which one? No such segment was run during the UConn game and neither announcer expressed an opinion.

During yesterday's ND game it was categorically stated multiple times that Loyd is the best guard in the country. Having watched MoJeff the past 4-6 weeks I don't believe such a statement is justified.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Good stuff. Two other factors though is that Loyd has less other top teammates to dwell on than does Stewart and may get more attention because of that, and that the play-by-play commentary in the UConn games may get a little more lax because they are blow outs. Would Stewie get more mentions if the action was a lot closer and the ESPN coverage was paying more attention to the game? Don't know.

And I believe it was during the UConn-ECU coverage yesterday that the commentator who would then have been Brooke Weisbrod said she was surprised that Maryland wasn't facing ND in the AAC championship final, so maybe not the most attentive cover person.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all Loyd is a scorer much like many other scorers on other teams. ND imo and Muffet are pushing ESPN for Loyd. Stewie is the best without a doubt player in WCBB. End of subject. ESPN needs to start showing and recognizing Stewies stats and contributions and comparing them to Loyd. End of Subject

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
But as Stewie has stated, she came to UCONN to win 4 national championships. Loyd did say anything about a NC.

So though the NPOY award is nice, Stewie wants those rings!!

Reaction Score
Loyd isn't even the best guard in the country, let alone the best overall player.
This is a position I'm beginning to embrace. Jefferson vs. Loyd is at the very least moot. If a tie-breaker is needed it falls to the position played. Other things being equal, point guards are clearly more essential than shooting guards. Advantage MoJeff.

Reaction Score
This is a position I'm beginning to embrace. Jefferson vs. Loyd is at the very least moot. If a tie-breaker is needed it falls to the position played. Other things being equal, point guards are clearly more essential than shooting guards. Advantage MoJeff.
Mo is the better guard, and I don't think it's all that close. Mo is faster, a better defender, better 3 point shooter, etc. What does Loyd do better than Mo besides the Jewelly-oop and chucking up 30 shots a game?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Loyd isn't even the best guard in the country, let alone the best overall player.
I am reminded of the John Lennon quote - when asked if Ringo Star was the best drummer in the world, Lennon replied "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am reminded of the John Lennon quote - when asked if Ringo Star was the best drummer in the world, Lennon replied "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

LMAO! I've never heard that one, but it's so very true. In my youth, I was a rock drummer. It frustrated my childlike ego that Ringo was insanely popular, but I was a better drummer. With the possible exception of Charlie Watts, it would be hard to find a lazier musician. Now, I'm an old goat. I got over it. Sort of.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
My response to this is what I put on twitter. Thinking someone other than Breanna Stewart is the best player in the country is like thinking South Carolina was the real #1 team in the country at some point this season. Smoke in mirrors.

Reaction Score
I feel like the strategy was indicated at the beginning of the season. There are a lot of haters out there. Many times ESPN articles are titled in subtly negative UCONN terms. It probably starts out as a social urge to support underdogs, but it starts to get nasty if allowed to go on too long. ESPN is not our friend just because they are local. They just want to stir the negativity pot to increase viewership. One way to do that is to encourage the number of viewers who watch just to see UCONN fail.

I would like to think it doesn't matter, but it is important. The message is that everyone should gang up on one team and its players if they can't seem to beat them. I think it gives officials the license to ignore the abuse that Stewie and others are subjected to in the paint. It also subtly encourages the disrespect of a program and players who have accomplished great things by out working the competition. This will end badly, like any other time bullying is allowed. I will NEVER forget that early season tournament we played in Florida when the other teams were trying to injure Stewie to get her out of the game. OR the number of times I have seen elbows to the mid section thrown. Ultimately, the officiating crew is to blame for what happens in games. ESPN is the one spearheading the negative 'greatness' vibe.

I don't care if Breanna doesn't mind having the award taken away from her by less deserving players. It's wrong. And it is insulting to those who work hard for what they accomplish. It also makes the award a marketing campaign instead of something earned.

Reaction Score
My response to this is what I put on twitter. Thinking someone other than Breanna Stewart is the best player in the country is like thinking South Carolina was the real #1 team in the country at some point this season. Smoke in mirrors.
Couldn't agree more bruin. While attending the ACC Tourney, I said to my wife, anyone who would pick Loyd before Stewie in the WNBA draft is nuts! Loyd was impressive with her pull-up jumper and at times she defended the best guard on the other team. But overall she wasn't overly impressive. I mean, I'd take her on my team...but no comparison to Stewie in terms of versatility and overall impact on the game.

Reaction Score
Bunch of fools at ESPN. You don't generate interest in a game by chopping down a monster, well, may be for a little while. But that's not in the best interest of the game long term. You need to appreciate the work, the craft, and standard of excellence that uconn is. all these little minded and jealous people-yeah you muffet! Honestly, if you don't pick stewie for NPOY, you are either deluded or lying.

Reaction Score
While watching the Notre Dame/Duke game on Saturday I noticed how much broadcast time was being devoted to discussing Jewell Loyd. I began keeping track of how many times she was mentioned by name (either first, last or both). I did the same thing for Sunday's game. I also made the same counts for Breanna Stewart in the UConn games. I was able to track counts for about half of Saturday's games and all of Sunday's. I made sure I counted just the portion of UConn's Saturday game that I counted for Notre Dame. I only counted the times a players name was uttered and not the times pronouns were used even though the antecedent was clear.

Loyd was mentioned 106 times and Stewart 75.

Then I went back and checked ESPN's box scored and play-by-play to see how often each player did something game-worthy enough to get mentioned in the box score thinking that if it was worth tracking in the box score it was at least worthy of consideration for broadcast.

Shooting: Loyd 13 of 25; Stewart 5 of 15
Free Throws: Loyd 0; Stewart 8 of 9
Rebounds: Loyd 10; Stewart 19
Assists: Loyd 2; Stewart 5
Steals: Loyd 3; Stewart 5
Blocks: Loyd 0; Stewart 8
Turn Overs: Loyd 8; Stewart 3
Fouls: Loyd 1; Stewart 2

Total Game Worthy Events: Loyd 49; Stewart 66
Ratio of mentions to game worthy events: Loyd 2.16; Stewart 1.14

I'm not accusing ESPN of orchestrating a campaign to have Jewell Loyd crowned NPOY for I have no such information. What I am saying is that if such a campaign were to be undertaken this is how, in part, to do it.

What I haven't included:
ESPN ran an 80+ second infomercial on Loyd during the game where just the greatness of Loyd was discussed. Nothing about the game, just Loyd's performance. I didn't include how many times Loyd's name was mentioned during that span in my counts. ESPN ran no such corresponding segment on Stewart.

During yesterday's ND game ESPN ran a segment on who the NPOY should be. Loyd was mentioned 5 times, Stewart 3 times. One of the announcers took sides and picked a player. Can you guess which one? No such segment was run during the UConn game and neither announcer expressed an opinion.

During yesterday's ND game it was categorically stated multiple times that Loyd is the best guard in the country. Having watched MoJeff the past 4-6 weeks I don't believe such a statement is justified.

Reaction Score
They should say one of the best point gaurds. And one of the best post players Breanna Stewart. That would mean no bias.

Reaction Score
First of all Loyd is a scorer much like many other scorers on other teams. ND imo and Muffet are pushing ESPN for Loyd. Stewie is the best without a doubt player in WCBB. End of subject. ESPN needs to start showing and recognizing Stewies stats and contributions and comparing them to Loyd. End of Subject
That is all nd has to realistically play for (no legitimate shot at NC) and they both know that! It will be there consolation prize. They could make an entire end of the season video out of it and not even mention how they had just got their annual beat down!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Mo is the better guard, and I don't think it's all that close. Mo is faster, a better defender, better 3 point shooter, etc. What does Loyd do better than Mo besides the Jewelly-oop and chucking up 30 shots a game?

Loyd is a better scorer, rebounder, has to face the other team's best defender every game, and faces the pressure of carrying her team every night. They are in very different circumstances and it's hard to compare since they play different roles for their team.

Reaction Score
Loyd is a better scorer, rebounder, has to face the other team's best defender every game, and faces the pressure of carrying her team every night. They are in very different circumstances and it's hard to compare since they play different roles for their team.

Huh??? On what planet?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Surely you jest!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stewie has a much better rebounds per game average and a still better better rebounds per minute average than Loyd, as would be expected. She scores slightly less points per minute, but she has taken more than 100 less shots. Whereas Loyd may sometimes guard the other team's top scorer in some games, Stewie effectively guards and blocks the hell out of the other team's top five scorers in all games. She also has only 2 less assists than Loyd, which is not that usual for a forward and guard to be pretty much even there.

It was indeed a just a jest, or a statement in search of a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom