OT: - National One Hit Wonder Day | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: National One Hit Wonder Day

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hey thanks @Slipperman , Duncan Sheik reminded me of this one, around the same era.

I always thought his dad (Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive) must have been so embarrassed his son had such an un-rockish poppy song.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bobby had enough hits for a greatest hits album. My fave:

Reaction Score
Keeping with a more modern theme (at least for most of us) "A Town Called Malice" by The Jam. Their only US hit although the had several other hits in the UK.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does everyone know the she married Paul Simon?
Now they certainly do! Everyone reads the BY, right? I first discovered that factoid when they were both arrested for disorderly conduct for a dust up they had in the notorious seat of violence that is Norwalk.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I remember it being everywhere. But then I kind of liked it, so..... There have been a few on here I've never heard of either. :confused:
Here is another, albeit less well known piece of theirs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another 80's group that seemed to have a lot of promise but never quite hit it big. Veruca Salt and "Seether." A little female rage and schizophrenia anyone?

I don't know if it was a hit, but Volcano Girl was another good one. By the way, the Seether is Louise.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here is another perky one hit wonder song from the 90's that was more successful as music used in TV and movies than it was as a recording.

The band may have been a one hit wonder, but I know of at least 3 versions of the song that were all good (the original, Sixpence None the Richer and the Boo Radleys).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I always thought his dad (Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive) must have been so embarrassed his son had such an un-rockish poppy song.

How did I not know that? Imagine that, being rebellious by not being a rocker.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@CL82 mentioned the Chordettes and "Lollipop". Not sure bur I think their "Mr. Sandman" was an even bigger hit.

Ah, you're right! I debated included them, but I couldn't remember another hit. (I could have Googled it, but I like to do these threads off the top of head.) Good catch!

Bama fan

Reaction Score

I remembered this from long ago, and looked up the background. This went to number 1 in the U. S. around Christmas of 1963, and kept "Louie, Louie" from the top spot. It is reported that God forgave her for that because she was a nun. I am not that big a person. The singer was truly a Belgian nun who left the convent and her order not long after the success of this tune. The Dominicans and the record company took all of the proceeds. Years later the Belgian government sued her for the taxes on the royalties which she personally never received. She and her partner, distraught over this financial calamity, committed suicide in 1985. Sad but true ending to her "miracle" career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remembered this from long ago, and looked up the background. This went to number 1 in the U. S. around Christmas of 1963, and kept "Louie, Louie" from the top spot. It is reported that God forgave her for that because she was a nun. I am not that big a person. The singer was truly a Belgian nun who left the convent and her order not long after the success of this tune. The Dominicans and the record company took all of the proceeds. Years later the Belgian government sued her for the taxes on the royalties which she personally never received. She and her partner, distraught over this financial calamity, committed suicide in 1985. Sad but true ending to her "miracle" career.
I can't "like" this because of the sad ending, but I appreciate the details to her story. It seems as if she was not treated fairly. :(

Reaction Score
Here is another from Dexy's Midnight Runners that was the theme song for a Brit sitcom entitled "Brush Strokes."

Reaction Score
And the last one for today. Another 80's "girl band" that had a hit and then labored on in obscurity.

The Juliana Hatfield Three

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom