OT: - National One Hit Wonder Day | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: National One Hit Wonder Day

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of this song, but really liked Alan O'Day, who wrote songs like Angie Baby and Easy Evil. I bought his first album from a cutout bin in about 1975 and love it. I can't find it anywhere, but have ripped the album to CD.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mascagni Cavalleria Rusticana. Composed it in 18 days to make an entry deadline for a one-act opera contest, but never wrote anything of any significance afterwards. It remains one of every opera buff’s favorites, with the orchestral interlude regularly winning favorite melody contests.
The intermezzo. My god! One of musics most beautiful and heart rending melodies. I'd also say Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. Although, of course he wrote other major works (that wonderful Harold In Italy and that Requiem), he only wrote one symphony...and boy what a work it is! One of the 10 greatest and perhaps, the most original.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
McFadden and Whitehead-Ain't No Stopping Us Now
Little Joe and The Thrillers-Peanut
The Mello Kings-Tonight, Tonight

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1962 - Chubby Checker - The Twist
Chubby had another good hit though - "Let's Twist Again" which charted at #3 in the US:
Yea, gotta call foul on Chubby. He had a couple #1's and a few top 20's. Don't think he qualifies as a 1 hit wonder.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mascagni Cavalleria Rusticana. Composed it in 18 days to make an entry deadline for a one-act opera contest, but never wrote anything of any significance afterwards. It remains one of every opera buff’s favorites, with the orchestral interlude regularly winning favorite melody contests.

Well, thanks for this; I've learned something new today. I'm not much of an opera fan, but I'll have to give this one a listen.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nina Gordon was a member of Veruca Salt, who had a few hits in the 90s. As a solo artist I think she qualifies as a OHW though.

Reaction Score
The intermezzo. My god! One of musics most beautiful and heart rending melodies. I'd also say Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. Although, of course he wrote other major works (that wonderful Harold In Italy and that Requiem), he only wrote one symphony...and boy what a work it is! One of the 10 greatest and perhaps, the most original.
Well, technically he wrote four symphonies. Harold in Italy, Symphonie Triumphal et Funebre and Romeo et Juliet are all labeled as such. If you are into Berlioz, give a listen on YouTube to his “Lélio”, which is a sequel to “Symphonie Fantastique”. The most uniquely original composition ever written by a major composer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of this song, but really liked Alan O'Day, who wrote songs like Angie Baby and Easy Evil. I bought his first album from a cutout bin in about 1975 and love it. I can't find it anywhere, but have ripped the album to CD.

I always thought of these two songs together (key lyric: "Yeah, I guess I am"):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom