National Coach of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Coach of the Year

Reaction Score
Gary Blair was mentioned handful of times here as national COY but surprising to me was not even picked as SEC COY. He deserved it this year. Has anyone won national COY without winning conference COY in same year? SEC picked Joni Taylor from Georgia

Reaction Score
Gary Blair was mentioned handful of times here as national COY but surprising to me was not even picked as SEC COY. He deserved it this year. Has anyone won national COY without winning conference COY in same year? SEC picked Joni Taylor from Georgia
If anyone has a case to do it, it’s Blair.

Reaction Score
All these honors should be voted upon, and awarded after the NCAA/NIT Tournaments. The season has been so uneven between teams, that it seems unrealistic to vote now before the various tournaments complete.

Reaction Score
All these honors should be voted upon, and awarded after the NCAA/NIT Tournaments. The season has been so uneven between teams, that it seems unrealistic to vote now before the various tournaments complete.
These honors are regular season conference awards. Waiting to name them during the post season wouldn't make it any fairer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These honors are regular season conference awards. Waiting to name them during the post season wouldn't make it any fairer.
Understood.
In the case of OSU which has played at least 9 less games then nearly every other team, I think OSU has reason to believe it would be more fair to wait until the end of the tournaments. And OSU isn't the only team--that is why I think it would be more fair given the uneven number of games each team has played.

Reaction Score
The top 3 right now are:

Brenda Frese
Gary Blair
Tara VanDerveer

**Brenda-replaced all 5 starters and her freshman stud, should still win the B1G, and the team is good.

**If A&M wins the SEC, he should win it.

**Stanford played for 9 weeks on the road and still won the Pac-12.
But it’s not like they were playing on the road in hostile arenas with fans, Tara is an outstanding coach, but the Pac12 was pretty much a down league this year, with only 4 teams with winning records.

Reaction Score
But it’s not like they were playing on the road in hostile arenas with fans, Tara is an outstanding coach, but the Pac12 was pretty much a down league this year, with only 4 teams with winning records.
This is why I love the NCAA Tournament. The best "conferences" show up tournament time.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Coach of the year has to go to Bucknell's Trevor Woodruff. Any coach that can go 8-0 vs only 3 league opponents, petition the NCAA to allow them in tournament(need 13 games to be played to qualify)note: petition has not been ruled on as of yet. How can you beat that?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It just lends to the question of why SEC did not vote for him. Is COY a media vote or coaches vote?
Coaches vote for it. The SEC Awards thread states such in the opening paragraph. This does not prevent Blair from garnering National Coach of the Year. I believe the only award that is driven by the Conference Award is the DPOY has to come from the each conference selection (limits it to 32 options).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom