National championship game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National championship game

Reaction Score
TCU's lines were dominated...

Those two teams looked nothing alike.

Stars? Georgia's QB was a 2 star recruit by ESPN...
Georgia might be loaded with 5 star recruit’s but Kirby Smart also has one of the best development programs around.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kirby said after the game he wants to stay hungry and avoid the pitfall of entitlement that comes with success.

Hmmm.

What school which enjoyed tremendous success did Kirby coach at before coming to UGA?

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Ugak saw the field. I liked him here and was bummed he left, but what a great way for him to spend last year playing CFB.
I think the answer is no according to the ESPN site box score.

At least he was credited with zero tackles which is not quite the same.

Reaction Score
Ohio State was pretty much run over by Michigan (lost by 22 points)...TCU lost to ranked KSU by 3 points...and beat Michigan in the semi.

Agree. I think UGA is just a juggernaut right now. I was surprised OSU was able to play them as tough as they did. Last night UGA absolutely owned the LOS. Stetson had a terrific season, but I think I could have completed some of those passes last night. Did TCU ever lay a hand on the kid?

Reaction Score
I guess I was a little bitter after being excited for the game and anything with any kind of historical rivalry would've been better. As a sports fan few experiences are as depressing as a title game that is over by the half.

Reaction Score
Kirby said after the game he wants to stay hungry and avoid the pitfall of entitlement that comes with success.

Hmmm.

What school which enjoyed tremendous success did Kirby coach at before coming to UGA?

Kirby Smart has paid some dues...he was a DC at Valdosta State..then..

He completed his masters at FSU while a Graduate Assistant under Bobby Bowden (worked with cornerbacks). He then coached at LSU under Saban...then RB coach at Georgia...then back to Saban at the Dolphins and then back with Saban to Bama and then finally to Georgia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kirby Smart has paid some dues...he was a DC at Valdosta State..then..

He completed his masters at FSU while a Graduate Assistant under Bobby Bowden (worked with cornerbacks). He then coached at LSU under Saban...then RB coach at Georgia...then back to Saban at the Dolphins and then back with Saban to Bama and then finally to Georgia.
Sounds like a smart guy...............

Reaction Score
I wonder if the media will ridicule TCU for the blow out the way they dumped on UConn when we lost the Fiesta Bowl 48-20?
It always made me chuckle that Va Tech lost in the Orange Bowl to Stanford 40-12 (same score differential) and nobody said a word about VaTech. I still remember the feeling when it was 34-20 and UConn had the ball in Oklahoma territory in the but stalled and punted.

Reaction Score

Hmmm.

The overall strength of the SEC (Georgia almost lost to Missouri) during the season on the national scene was incredible. That being said, how does the SEC getaway with not scheduling Georgia and Alabama during the regular season? That’s like Michigan not playing Ohio State, or USC not playing UCLA, or Texas not playing Oklahoma.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yes that would have been a classic final. The question becomes how did TCU finish ranked ahead of Ohio State after losing to Kansas State? If Ohio State was 3rd and TCU 4th we would have had a much better final.

BTW Stetson Bennett is the perfect example of how an "FCS level" QB could surprise to the upside and be a great FBS QB. Baily Zappe is another one.
Ohio State was blown out by Michigan, TCU lost by 1 in the tournament game.

Reaction Score
Georgia's roster is primarily Georgia guys with 10 Florida guys sprinkled in....they sit in a football hotbed of talent and are the state team...Stetson Bennett was a two star quarterback from a little town of 3,200 and led the Dawgs to two championships.

The SEC has a football culture, avid fans and good coaches. Kids playing high school ball in Georgia are, of course, swayed by the state team that is a winner,
A bit of an overstatement, but the themes around recruiting hotbeds, and SEC culture/fan base are spot on. Frankly, the SEC has been operating at another level for past 25 years.

Reaction Score
To me, watching the game last night and remembering when the Big East was torn apart and we landed in the AAC, I thought “be careful what you wish for NCAA…”

you’ve got what you wanted and now you’ve got a team putting up 65 points and demolishing a team by 50+ points in the National Championship Game. It was embarrassing to watch as TCU was clearly not in the same league as Georgia.

The Talent level with the playoff structure is so out of whack now.

Reaction Score
The overall strength of the SEC (Georgia almost lost to Missouri) during the season on the national scene was incredible. That being said, how does the SEC getaway with not scheduling Georgia and Alabama during the regular season? That’s like Michigan not playing Ohio State, or USC not playing UCLA, or Texas not playing Oklahoma.
Going forward, realignment may put some of those rivalries at risk. Alabama’s eastern rivals have been TN and FL far more than UGa. Heck, UGa looks at auburn more as a rival then it does bama.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Because Bama and UGA aren't traditional rivals like UM/OSU, USC/UCLA or UT/OU are rivals. Bama's rival is Auburn and Tennessee or LSU are #2.

Reaction Score
Some folks don't realize the strength of the Auburn-Alabama rivalry....It did catch some national attention when the Bama nut fan poisened the famed trees at Toomer's Corner. Two strong teams in the same conference sharing a state makes for a great rivalry.

Georgia and Florida have had a traditional rivalry with their annual game listed as the world's largest outdoor cocktail party.

And every Gator guy will know the answer to why the Florida St. John's River is the only river in America that flows north?

"Because...Georgia sucks".

Reaction Score
It always made me chuckle that Va Tech lost in the Orange Bowl to Stanford 40-12 (same score differential) and nobody said a word about VaTech. I still remember the feeling when it was 34-20 and UConn had the ball in Oklahoma territory in the but stalled and punted.
Tech wasn't even able to move the bal into Stanford territory the entire second half.

Reaction Score
A bit of an overstatement, but the themes around recruiting hotbeds, and SEC culture/fan base are spot on. Frankly, the SEC has been operating at another level for past 25 years.
Yea I was gonna say georgia can and does recruit nationally, they can pick and choose

Reaction Score
Because Bama and UGA aren't traditional rivals like UM/OSU, USC/UCLA or UT/OU are rivals. Bama's rival is Auburn and Tennessee or LSU are #2.
Hear what you’re saying but I was looking at a rivalry along the lines of a head coach (Smart) going up against his former mentor (Saban). They were 1-1 against each other last season (2021-2022).

Reaction Score
UConn had 14 NFL players on that roster. Not just camp invite players, but guys that were drafted and/or spent significant time on NFL rosters. Some are still playing (Jones, Andrew Adams, Ryan Griffin).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some folks don't realize the strength of the Auburn-Alabama rivalry....It did catch some national attention when the Bama nut fan poisened the famed trees at Toomer's Corner. Two strong teams in the same conference sharing a state makes for a great rivalry.

Georgia and Florida have had a traditional rivalry with their annual game listed as the world's largest outdoor cocktail party.

And every Gator guy will know the answer to why the Florida St. John's River is the only river in America that flows north?

"Because...Georgia sucks".

Every Gator who "knows" that is wrong.

Plenty of rivers flow north to south including the Genesee river which starts in Pennsylvania and dumps in to Lake Ontario in RaChaCha, NY.

Reaction Score
Every Gator who "knows" that is wrong.

Plenty of rivers flow north to south including the Genesee river which starts in Pennsylvania and dumps in to Lake Ontario in RaChaCha, NY.
South to North... or Up, as on the map.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom