Natalie Butler | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd really like to see her come back with a kind of "attack mode" attitude. I don't think it comes naturally to her and the great Tina Charles also had to develop it over time. Especially as a big, you need to play the game looking to impose your will on your opponent. That doesn't necessarily mean play physical, but just be more aggressive.
She's from a military family, no? Agressiveness won't be a problem.

Reaction Score
Bags27, I was in France wearing my UCONN hat and t-shirt, where were you?
We were in Great Britain (Skye, Lake District, Edinburgh and Hadrian's Wall). Absolutely wonderful. Of course, great, great people and amazing scenery (we did lots of hiking). What we didn't anticipate was the fantastic food (and still not prepared for the anticipated credit card bills, even with the pound lower after Brexit...). The Brits are great hosts in every way.

Hope France was good and that you weren't near Nice....so horrible....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We were in Great Britain (Skye, Lake District, Edinburgh and Hadrian's Wall). Absolutely wonderful. Of course, great, great people and amazing scenery (we did lots of hiking). What we didn't anticipate was the fantastic food (and still not prepared for the anticipated credit card bills, even with the pound lower after Brexit...). The Brits are great hosts in every way.

Hope France was good and that you weren't near Nice....so horrible....
Well, if you weren't near Nice, you'd be pretty miserable anyway...

Reaction Score
It never gets mentioned,but take a look at the practice competition that Natalie has had for a couple of years now.She has had Stokes,Stewart, and Tuck to bang or chase around the court.If we add in the transfers this coming year she will have gone up against some of the best competition that college basketball could ever have to offer.Now lets add in the practice guys and if she is healthy i expect that her learning curve should be nearly completed.She needs major minutes in real games this year and i have every confidence that Natalie will be a bellweather on both ends of the court.Only at UCONN and a very few other schools would this skills transition be able to take place.If any of the bigs from the class of 2018 want the very best chance to succeed, you have three guesses as to where to attend school and the first two don't count.

It helps, but doesn't guarantee she will improve dramatically. I mean if you can't jump you can't jump. Look at Courtney's vigorous workouts. It didn't help her out at this level.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It helps, but doesn't guarantee she will improve dramatically. I mean if you can't jump you can't jump. Look at Courtney's vigorous workouts. It didn't help her out at this level.

Courtney Ekmark and Natalie Butler.

First, Courtney:

Courtney was as enthusiastic -- totally dedicated! -- to coming to play for Geno at UConn as any recruit, ever. She spent her senior HS year with a personal trainer to maximize her skills. And she certainly excelled as a HS star. Upon arrival she brought an impeccable character, positive attitude, excellent perimeter shooting skills, and a high BB IQ. So far, so good.

When she got hurt she was undeterred and remained driven to be a member of the UConn Huskies rotation. But it never happened. Why?:
- In her limited playing time (behind Kia, Moriah, Lou, Gabby and Saniya) she showed desire and some skill as a passer and spot-up shooter, BUT:
- Her reaction time on defense was not, um, exactly instantaneous;
- Nor was her lateral movement;
- In transition she couldn't keep pace with her fleet teammates;
- At the offensive end her "first step" when going to the hoop was easily defended;
- And steals or rebounds were a rarity.
- Finally, it is not a coincidence that she was the only player on the roster to never earn a Badass Award.
Courtney Ekmark is a great kid and will be missed by UConn. But not on the court when the bright lights are on. I expect her to start (after a siit-out season) at ASU and drop 10 ppg or so. They will love her as we have.:)

Next, Natalie:

Another great kid with an admirable attitude, an imposing (6'5") physical presence and impressive credentials. After a non-game-playing season, Nat joined the team on the court in 2015-2016. How did she do? In a word, her performance was inconsistent.
- Her thumb injury really set her back;
- Once recovered (physically and psychologically), she was generally deployed in zone defenses -- to take advantage of her height and conceal her slow lateral movement;
- She displayed a good shooting touch (to 15") and good passing skills, especially in transition; BUT:
- She did not appear to have either a "nose for the ball" or good vertical leaping skills and thus was an underachieving rebounder; and,
- Aside from occasional brief flashes, she lacked the knack for being That Dominant Player who "takes over" a big game.
What may we expect or hope for from Nat?
- More PT;
- Improved assimilation ("in the flow") into half-court offensive sets; and,
- General improvement resulting from dedication and hard work ethic.
Natalie will definitely be a player and a Badass in 2016-2017. How good? How often? Time will tell.;)

Reaction Score
Natalie needs to be a major factor this year. She needs to be a double/double every game. Hopefully she can channel "Big Mama Stef".
I think your hopes for Natalie emerging as a major factor this year, is wishful thinking. I would love it as well, but I saw her perform for a year. She really is not very athletic. She did okay against nothing teams, late in the game. But most of her success was purely because of her size, rather than her basketball skills. I just do not see how she was rookie of the year while at Georgetown. I hope you are right. But I just don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
I think your hopes for Natalie emerging as a major factor this year, is wishful thinking. I would love it as well, but I saw her perform for a year. She really is not very athletic. She did okay against nothing teams, late in the game. But most of her success was purely because of her size, rather than her basketball skills. I just do not see how she was rookie of the year while at Georgetown. I hope you are right. But I just don't see it happening.

Longtime fan- - - On page 1 of this thread I printed the following below in red. Natalie was basically robbed of a successful season by the thumb injury leading to surgery! One week after practice started the coaches and players were saying how much Natalie Butler improved over her time at UCONN. What you saw this past season was a shell of what Natalie is! I think you should give her a chance at an injury free season then evaluate her! Harry Perretta, Coach at Villanova, spoke highly of her talent to Geno when she transferred to UCONN! She averaged a double-double in points and rebounds at Georgetown her freshman year to be named Rookie of the Year!

The thumb injury couldn't have come at a worse time for Natalie! She worked her butt off transfer year and preseason then hurt the thumb right before the season started taking away everything + confidence she had built up and could never get it back in season, so this off season is tremendously important to get back that "edge" she had pre-injury!
I have complete faith Natalie will shine this season and beyond!

Reaction Score

This is why she was selected Big East Freshman of the year

2013-14
Category ------------------National Ranking-----Big East Ranking

Rebounds (13.3pg) -----5th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh

Double Doubles (24) -- 9th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh

Blocks (1.84pg) --------- 55th-8th Fresh--------2nd--1st Fresh

Field-Goal % (49.1) ----78th 5th Fresh---------3rd--1st Fresh

Some will say…”Well, she put up those type of numbers with a below average team”.

Agree...but, Georgetown was in shambles…point is…she received very little coaching/training there.

Now...since she is in a top notch program (the best)…she is getting the best training support available.

No..I’m not saying she will put up those type of numbers again…or, be another Steph or Stew.

She will be Natalie Butler…

Geno, will get the best out of her in areas to support the team whatever they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom