Natalie Butler Sets All-Time Record | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler Sets All-Time Record

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler just broke Courtney Paris' single season rebound record.:D She has 19 rebounds after three quarters; giving her 540 rebounds for the season. Courtney Paris had 539 rebounds in 2005-06 for the previous record. Natalie did it in 33 games vs Courtney's 36 games. Update: Natalie has 20 pts and 20 rebounds mid-way through the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler just broke Courtney Paris' single season rebound record.:D She has 19 rebounds after three quarters; giving her 540 rebounds for the season. Courtney Paris had 539 rebounds in 2005-06 for the previous record. Natalie did it in 33 games vs Courtney's 36 games. Update: Natalie has 20 pts and 20 rebounds mid-way through the fourth quarter.

Deserving of every accolade she gets. It will be impossible for the W to ignore her and that is being understated!

Reaction Score
Why do you think Natalie couldn't perform like this at UConn? I know the A10 is not a power 5 conference, but neither is the AAC. She was so dominant this season, she must have learned so much from Geno, but I'm not really sure I understand why she was so much better this year than all the years she spent at UConn. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Why do you think Natalie couldn't perform like this at UConn? I know the A10 is not a power 5 conference, but neither is the AAC. She was so dominant this season, she must have learned so much from Geno, but I'm not really sure I understand why she was so much better this year than all the years she spent at UConn. Any thoughts?
I would say that Gabby, Pheesa and Lou were AA caliber front line. So the options were just better at UConn.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Natalie!! I am so glad to hear she is having an outstanding year.
Congratulations to George Mason on making it to the WNIT!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would say that Gabby, Pheesa and Lou were AA caliber front line. So the options were just better at UConn.

Totally agree. When you are the best player on your team, every shot is a good shot.

Reaction Score
If you look at her per 40 stats at UConn, they were pretty good. But she has become more consistent, slimmed down, and, as you alluded, she is playing generally weaker opponents. Mostly, it is about getting the minutes. She had tougher competition on her own team for the minutes. She is the best player in her entire conference where she is. She was not top five on UConn. That's the trade-off when playing for the Huskies: you might be a great player somewhere else, but just one of the players on UConn. If you watch her play, she is still Natalie, with the determined hustle but the same foibles she had in Storrs. Even with her faults, however, she is better than most players anywhere.

Reaction Score
Congrats Nat! No doubt her time with CD and Geno contributed to her development as a college player.
IMHO
She always had this potential. It was the hand injury that keep her off the court. Then that lack of strength in her hand when she came back from the injury contributed to a number of rebounding and shooting problems. Once she got her hand strength back she was good to go, it just turned out she was somewhere else by then.

Reaction Score
Congrats Natalie on this significant accomplishment.
There are a number of factors that go into how or why Natalie is where she is now!
She played for another team before transferring to U Conn, and that showed her that she wanted and needed to play against stronger competition, especially on a day to day basis, especially in practice. Her I think two years (or was it three) on the team after sitting out a transfer year, brought her to being able to have a meaningful role off the bench especially as a big. Last year we definitely needed her to fill the minutes and role she had. It's hard when you are probably the 7th best player on your team to get minutes and improve when no matter what you do, you're not replacing anyone in the top 5. A significant element is the mental part of the game and the confidence needed to perform on the U Conn stage. If you just look at Crystal last year and MW this year, these two very highly ranked HS players, with obvious skill sets, performed below their abilities their first year playing here. Understanding, accepting and being able to do what Geno, CD and the coaches expect in practice and in games is a process that takes awhile for almost anyone. Looking at the difference in AZ from the beginning of the year to now is another example of starting to put it all together. Between the confidence issue, limited role because there are players much further along than you, and the limited minutes one plays all can truly hold one back.
She also knew her role and minutes with AZ now being able to play this year wasn't going to improve. I do think she still had a role as we could still use another big with some skills, especially with AZ's fouling issues and in case of injury. This might sound extreme to some but she has a more developed offensive game than McGowan, who from my perspective still doesn't move all that well and almost fully relies on her size and strength. She could have guarded Wilson and other bigs and also brought her strong rebounding and boxing out skills.
I also believe at least part of her time here she had some lingering physical and health issues.
Her decision to go back to playing in a mid level program now enables her to be the star. It's like the perfect storm. Also from all I've read her work ethics, being a valued member of the team, her intelligence added to much greater confidence, physically a better player gained from all the above and wanting and being ready to take over the "star" role without an enormous ego, have all been part of who she has become.
She may have actually brought herself to being able to be a decent sub in the WNBA or to play in Europe, if that interests her.
This is a huge success story.
Bronx23

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
What a spectacular Sr. year for Butler. Congrats to her.

Yes, but she's not a senior. She is a first year graduate student. She completed her undergraduate degree at UConn.

Reaction Score
Congrats Natalie on this significant accomplishment.
.....She may have actually brought herself to being able to be a decent sub in the WNBA or to play in Europe, if that interests her.
This is a huge success story.
Bronx23

I am confident her game will continue to develop and optimistic about her chances of being more than a decent sub in the W.

Reaction Score
I love Natalie B. She is a true Warrior and Campion. Wished she had never transfer, otherwise we would of had another banner hanging up by now. She was the piece that could of helped just with her hustle and long/big body. Go Natalie!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Observing her situation from afar, I'd guess shes having the success at GM this year because of several factors.....
1. She starts = more playing time.
2. She knows she's not going to get pulled. She's the best player on the team, so she can just play her game without fear of benching. She's focused. She knows the team's success depends on her. Her teammates look up to her, she has a NC ring.
3. The talent level she plays with and against is different. George Mason is a mid-major. The rest of the teams in the A10 are mid-majors.
4. She's usually the tallest player on the floor, so she's not battling other 6'5" post players most of the time.
5. She learned how to play basketball at UConn. Things she would not have learned at Georgetown or George Mason. She's using the skills and techniques she learned at GM.
6. She having fun playing there probably stress free. She was dealing with some personal issues at UConn which may have effected on on court performance. It's likely she's no longer is dealing with those issues.
7. She's at home. She lives approx 3 miles from the GM campus. She's around family and long time friends daily. Her family is at every home game. GM is a better "fit" for her than UConn was.
8. Home cooking. Who doesn't play better after a steady diet of good home cooking?

As stated above, all of this is pure conjecture, just 1 fan's opinion. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I love Natalie B. She is a true Warrior and Campion. Wished she had never transfer, otherwise we would of had another banner hanging up by now. She was the piece that could of helped just with her hustle and long/big body. Go Natalie!!!
Natalie was a graduate transfer and didn’t have to sit out a year meaning she played last year againtMSU so she never had another title chance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom