Natalie Butler progressing and praised | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler progressing and praised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
However, when Auriemma heard Natalie Butler was interested in transferring to UConn after being one of the few bright spots in a tumultuous 2013-14 season at Georgetown, he began to make some calls....The more people he talked to about Butler, the more intrigued Auriemma became. It wasn’t long until Butler and her 13.3 rebounds per game broke the trend.

Butler has clearly found a home at UConn. She usually finds herself matched up against reigning national player of the year Breanna Stewart in practice. Other times she will try get her shot off against senior Kiah Stokes, UConn’s career leader for blocks per 40 minutes.

“She practices hard all the time and she really wants to learn,” Stokes said. “I think it is a big factor. She has a whole year to learn and she is going against me, which is good for me because she is taller. So it is good competition. She really wants to play. I know it is going to be hard for her to sit out this year but I know next year she will be really good.”

“Just being exposed to Kiah and Stewie the last couple of months has really kind of opened her eyes,” Auriemma said. “She is already significantly better than she was when she got here. Her ability to score around the basket has gotten better. She has always been a pretty good shooter from 10-12 feet. She still does that, but she is understanding that she has to pass the ball better, she has to move better defensively.

“When she is in the lane with Stewie, Stewie can’t guard her, Stewie can’t move her and when Stewie is in the lane, she can’t get anything done because she just physically manhandles Stewie. But she also has to understand that she is going to be guarding a lot of other guys bigger than her. Every day she is learning something, and she is the kind of kid that every day she is going to get better.”

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20141217/georgetown-transfer-natalie-butler-will-serve-uconn-well

Reaction Score
That Natalie Butler cared enough to get herself to the ND game (on her time and dad's dime) and watching her explode off the bench applauding and yelling supportively every time her teammates made a good play (and then reading Geno's comments) tells me this is a really great kid who is going to be a huge contributor to UConn's success in the upcoming years. Keep working hard, Nat. With that desire and the best coaching in WCBB, I can envision a wonderful new S.D. iteration !!

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I don't usually like to look ahead to the next season while the current one is underway, BUT - I am really looking forward to seeing Natalie play. Could possibly develop as well as Stef did. What a plus that would be!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like this "development year" for Natalie. It's clear that she's a hard worker, so she'll try to improve in the ways that she needs to. And playing against Stewie, Kiah, and Mirgan will help her. And it will help them too.

Reaction Score
If you've seen Natalie, she's built like Stef. There was no way that Breanna would have been able to move Stef out of the way.
That goes for Natalie as well. She is a big young woman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like what I'm hearing. And the kid seems to love UCONN and her teammates as well... and the rest of the team seems to feel the same way. What a great addition to the UCONN family!

Reaction Score
I was already excited about next year. Dang. Let's enjoy this year too. :)

Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaching staff felt Kalani Brown was going elsewhere, and with
that, having Butler dropped in his lap Geno was assured of having a good post
player for 2015 and beyond. Now, the question is, will having Butler influence
Cox and/or McCoy's decision to come to Uconn? I hope we will get one of them.
We will need a big defensive presence in the post.

As I see WBB, the teams are getting bigger, like Baylor, Duke, SC, Ore St among
others. I don't think you can have enough big's due to injuries etc. There is a lot
more talent spread all around and that is why we are seeing so many upsets this
year. This is great for WBB and I think the interest will increase big time.

This years NCAA Tournament should be very exiting with some real big surprises.
One big plus for the Huskies is we will have experience on our side in the
tournament.

On a side note, it's nice to see we will schedule Chattanooga in the future.
They are a program on the move beating Tenn and Stanford already this
year. They will have 11 players returning next year. This will be a nice
non conference game for us. Lets get a few more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaching staff felt Kalani Brown was going elsewhere, and with
that, having Butler dropped in his lap Geno was assured of having a good post
player for 2015 and beyond. Now, the question is, will having Butler influence
Cox and/or McCoy's decision to come to Uconn? I hope we will get one of them.
We will need a big defensive presence in the post.

As I see WBB, the teams are getting bigger, like Baylor, Duke, SC, Ore St among
others. I don't think you can have enough big's due to injuries etc. There is a lot
more talent spread all around and that is why we are seeing so many upsets this
year. This is great for WBB and I think the interest will increase big time.

This years NCAA Tournament should be very exiting with some real big surprises.
One big plus for the Huskies is we will have experience on our side in the
tournament.

On a side note, it's nice to see we will schedule Chattanooga in the future.
They are a program on the move beating Tenn and Stanford already this
year. They will have 11 players returning next year. This will be a nice
non conference game for us. Lets get a few more.
In the NCAA tourney, we'll have the 2-time Final Four MOP. We'll also have Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, from the All-Final Four team, the MOP from the Omaha Regional. Kaleena is 16-1 in NCAA tourney play and has scored in double figures in all 17 games. She is one of the post-season (and regular season) greats. We'll miss her next year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In the NCAA tourney, we'll have the 2-time Final Four MOP. We'll also have Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, from the All-Final Four team, the MOP from the Omaha Regional. Kaleena is 16-1 in NCAA tourney play and has scored in double figures in all 17 games. She is one of the post-season (and regular season) greats. We'll miss her next year.
And KML at 16-1 is just average. UConn is 32-2 in the Tourney in the last 6 years. That's a 93.8% winning pct., which is not too shabby.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And KML at 16-1 is just average. UConn is 32-2 in the Tourney in the last 6 years. That's a 93.8% winning pct., which is not too shabby.
Kaleena Lewis is "average" only if you compare her with players like Stewie, Tina, and Maya. :)

How would 22-1 look on K's resume? She'd pass Sue, Maya, and Tina and match Diana.

Stewie and Moriah are hoping to get to 24-0, which could be a record that lasts forever. Or at least until Morgan Tuck graduates. :)

Reaction Score
At the USA v Canada in Bridgeport this past September because of a connection was able to go on the floor after the game and say a quick hi to greats like Bird, Diggons, Dolson, McBride, and Stewie. Kiah Stokes came with a few teammates including Butler who I did not recognize immediately.

After seeing her on the same level how tall and built she was, it clicked who it was. She was very nice and just seemed like she wanted to be wherever her teammates were and support Stewie and Nurse in the game.

Happy she's a Husky

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sticking with my AA prediction on The Butler.
She reminds me of Kara so she's got that going for her. I think she's in a little better shape than sophmore year Steph.

Reaction Score
CL: good to get your thoughts on that. As much work as Dolson did put in on her conditioning, I agree that Butler will be in better shape that SD when she enters her soph year; think of the opportunities she has this EXTRA year to develop her strength, speed, lateral quickness, skill and overall conditioning.....quite a rare opportunity she has this year in Storrs, and she'll take full advantage of it.

Can also see how she reminds you of Wolters, but I think that on all the dimensions just mentioned she will surpass that great "Big Girl" over time. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom