Natalie Butler Post Game Video And Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler Post Game Video And Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think your views about Napheesa are quite harsh, and not justified. She has shown repeatedly that she CAN get contested rebounds, and she is slippery enough to get layups and short jump shots against bigger but less mobile players. Her shooting accuracy in these two games was not great, but that should improve in short order. (The same could be said of Lou.)

Regarding the team's prospects and their dependence on Butler's performance, I think that is also overstated. Remember that last year's team won every NCAA tournament game except the Texas game by a margin of 30 points or more, and Texas was by around 18 or 20. The lack of a dominating post presence this year may cost 10 points or even 15 in the margin of victory, but it doesn't spell doom.

Having read some WWII naval history, I'm thinking that this year's team is a fleet of cruisers and destroyers, and it will face other teams with one or more battleships. The battleships aren't as quick or as maneuverable as the cruisers and destroyers, but they are very deadly if you get within range of their guns. But there are cases (such as the sinking of the Bismarck) where the smaller and more maneuverable ships won the battle, and UConn should be as well situated to do that as any such fleet.

Baylor will be a test case. The Huskies will be nipping at the heels of the very big Bears, and the Bears may find that highly unpleasant, especially if they have to chase Gabby / Kia / Saniya / Crystal down the floor several times after being relieved of the ball. That is why Geno has said that this year, UConn's defense has to be responsible for a big part of its offense. I predict that Geno will use the same strategy as he did last year against South Carolina: pick up the Baylor guards as soon as they cross mid-court, forcing a very long and contested pass into the front court. If Baylor's guards can be forced to focus on retaining possession of the ball rather than starting their offense, and if they occasionally fail even to do that, then UConn will win the game.

I certainly agree that the better Natalie proves to be this year (and she looked very good yesterday), and the better Kyla is backing her up, the better the team's chances are. But I don't think a Final Four appearance can be excluded as a realistic possibility even if we see no more from those two during the season than we have already seen.

Remember how much trouble Georgetown gave UConn in the Sweet Sixteen in 2011, with no player taller than 6-0. That was a far closer game than the Elite 8 game against Duke, who had much bigger players.
I cannot understand why you feel I was harsh in my assessment of Colliers ability . I merely stated that she was not a physical player, nor a consistent shooter. my " eye " test tells me that Butler is a better shooter , is 6'5, and has the potential to be a far more physical player than Collier. That does not mean I don't view Collier as an very critical player . I just don't see her as a low post player, but more of a Swin Cash type.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I have a somewhat different sense of Pheesa's organic role than either of you. I think she is absolutely necessary on the court. She and Gabby have tremendous synergy. They are the 2 best athletes on the court; they rebound instinctively, they cut to the basket; they extemporize; they anticipate and intercept passes; they make plays at both ends. While Gabby is more athletic (than anybody!), Napheesa is pretty much developmentally where Gabby was at the start of last year. Having them both play together creates absolute havoc.

Gabby and Napheesa will play off of each other for the next two years, Like Michael & Scottie. Once they get use to playing with each other (this can only come by playing X number of games together), they'll make lots of plays for Geno on both ends of the court the entire season. Right now (today), I look for the "core 4" to make the majority of the plays (and play the majority of the minutes at their position) for the team. If another player(s) wants to buy in, so much the better.

Question........IF UConn wins these next 2 games, how optimistic will you be about this team and its fortunes for the year going forward? :rolleyes:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Since rebounding is becoming a hot topic on this thread, a couple of points to ponder.

Reboounding is a matter of technique and desire. The technique on how to box out your opponent and actually move them back from the basket is taught at UConn. Watch Gabby and Pheesa and Kyla. They use their bodies to gain the advantageous position. They also read the shot as it goes up. This allows them to go to a specific area were the ball will most likely come off the rim. Reading the shot also allows a player to swoop in a grab a rebound to the suprise of the opponent.

Desire is self explanitory. There are those players whose mind set is that they will get every rebound. Gabby, Pheesa andKyla believe they can get every rebound.

I also like the destroyer vs. battleship analogy. Big post are not that mobile, on average. They can be out hustled and out positioned on a regular basis. Texas had/ has big posts and they didn't fare that well against us. Coates of SC hasn't been that effective against us for two years now.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I cannot understand why you feel I was harsh in my assessment of Colliers ability . I merely stated that she was not a physical player, nor a consistent shooter. my " eye " test tells me that Butler is a better shooter , is 6'5, and has the potential to be a far more physical player than Collier. That does not mean I don't view Collier as an very critical player . I just don't see her as a low post player, but more of a Swin Cash type.
Well, OK, if you are comparing her to Swin Cash, then I will go along with that. Swin got a ton of rebounds against bigger, burlier players, and so with Napheesa. Swin scored a lot from many places on the floor inside the 3-point line, and so with Napheesa.

The presence starting front court of Lou / Napheesa / Gabby is only a bit smaller than the 2002 front court of Asjha / Tamika / Swin, and they did OK. They did OK in particular against the battleships on other teams, getting more than enough rebounds to stay competitive.

If you compare 2016-17 to 2001-02, there is in fact a greater difference in backcourt size and skill (Saniya and Kia vs. Sue and Diana) than there is in the front court comparison.

Reaction Score
Had she been reading the Boneyard, she might have learned that she is awkward, slow, has bad hands, is incapable of dominating a Division II team, worthy of only 2 minutes per game (and miss a lay-up).

Just not a good player. A mistake.:(

So now she has reacted. :)

You omitted that she can't jump. Everyone who loves the Huskies wants ALL of its players to do well and to contribute to the team. Most of our talented recruits prove themselves under Coach's tutelage. But some do not do as well as we hoped. Courtney Ekmark was one example (of many). We rooted for her for 3 years. She worked really hard, never complained, and did her best. But she lacked some qualities for which none of the above could compensate. Now we're pulling for Natalie and both hoping and needing her to be as good as we thought she was. However, her shortcomings may be too numerous to overcome by words and hard work. Let's wish her well; we really need her this year.

Reaction Score
Well, OK, if you are comparing her to Swin Cash, then I will go along with that. Swin got a ton of rebounds against bigger, burlier players, and so with Napheesa. Swin scored a lot from many places on the floor inside the 3-point line, and so with Napheesa.

The presence starting front court of Lou / Napheesa / Gabby is only a bit smaller than the 2002 front court of Asjha / Tamika / Swin, and they did OK. They did OK in particular against the battleships on other teams, getting more than enough rebounds to stay competitive.

If you compare 2016-17 to 2001-02, there is in fact a greater difference in backcourt size and skill (Saniya and Kia vs. Sue and Diana) than there is in the front court comparison.
I would hardly compare the present frontcourt of Williams, Collier and KLS, to 2002 frontcourt of Jones, Williams and Cash. That is why thecstrong presence of Butler is needed. And of course our present backcourt does not even come close to Bird and Taurasi. Given time, Collier may develop into a Swin Cash type player, but she is worlds away from that level.

Reaction Score
You omitted that she can't jump. Everyone who loves the Huskies wants ALL of its players to do well and to contribute to the team. Most of our talented recruits prove themselves under Coach's tutelage. But some do not do as well as we hoped. Courtney Ekmark was one example (of many). We rooted for her for 3 years. She worked really hard, never complained, and did her best. But she lacked some qualities for which none of the above could compensate. Now we're pulling for Natalie and both hoping and needing her to be as good as we thought she was. However, her shortcomings may be too numerous to overcome by words and hard work. Let's wish her well; we really need her this year.
I'd say about 2 NY phone books worth on this jump...

upload_2016-11-7_15-55-25.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I would hardly compare the present frontcourt of Williams, Collier and KLS, to 2002 frontcourt of Jones, Williams and Cash. That is why thecstrong presence of Butler is needed. And of course our present backcourt does not even come close to Bird and Taurasi. Given time, Collier may develop into a Swin Cash type player, but she is worlds away from that level.
As a sophomore was Cash's level worlds apart from Collier's? Did she play as well as a sophomore as she did as a senior? You have not seen what she will be as a sophomore so how do you know she is world's away. Also, if that 2002 team was the best Uconn team ever, then the competition they played was a lot better than what Uconn has been playing the past few years. That team did not dominate as many elite teams as the last few Uconn teams did. In spite of that, I believe the 2002 team was better than last season's team.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

I will be on her side, period. I hope you eat your words.

Reaction Score
Napheez has 11 points and 11 rebounds in the game. She can go offense and defense. I don't see why we have complains about her ability. She is very quiet player and you will find suddenly she came from nowhere and had 11 pts and 11 rebs already.

KLS, Napheeze, Gabby and Kia are all solid starters, and we need Chong's quick and good ball handling ability.

Butler is really good in this game and if she can keep the consistence Geno will not forget her. And UConn really needs her to play Baylor, Texas ND and S Carolina.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You omitted that she can't jump. Now we're pulling for Natalie and both hoping and needing her to be as good as we thought she was. However, her shortcomings may be too numerous to overcome by words and hard work. Let's wish her well; we really need her this year.

I was paraphrasing the criticism posted by another Boneyarder who failed to document Natalie's lack of fleetness afoot. Hey, nobody's perfect; even a keen Boneyard analyst can't detect and report every single player deficiency.:rolleyes:;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The naval ship analogy is a fun one. What is Stefanie Dolson? She is bigger and slower than the cruisers and destroyers and has a lot of weaponry. That argues for being a battleship. On the other hand, she was a great passer, and those big-time overhead, long distance passes to start a break were a thing of beauty (and power). She could launch an attack from afar. That would argue for aircraft carrier.

I'd call Kaili McClaren (sp?) a battleship, and Stewie a fast carrier. So was Lobo. Maya was a cruiser. Morgan was a heavy cruiser.

Moriah was a destroyer. I'd say PT Boat but she had a lot of weaponry and could sink you by herself if you let her.

Who's your favorite Husky boat?

Reaction Score
As a sophomore was Cash's level worlds apart from Collier's? Did she play as well as a sophomore as she did as a senior? You have not seen what she will be as a sophomore so how do you know she is world's away. Also, if that 2002 team was the best Uconn team ever, then the competition they played was a lot better than what Uconn has been playing the past few years. That team did not dominate as many elite teams as the last few Uconn teams did. In spite of that, I believe the 2002 team was better than last season's team.
I did not bring up the 2002 team , but was responding to another post. If you 'll read all attached posts , you'll see that. I don't think any player on this team has proved anything yet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom