Natalie Butler Post Game Video And Article | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler Post Game Video And Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Had she been reading the Boneyard, she might have learned that she is awkward, slow, has bad hands, is incapable of dominating a Division II team, worthy of only 2 minutes per game (and miss a lay-up).

Just not a good player. A mistake.:(

So now she has reacted. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Natalie is so much better than Oregon's Ruth Hamlin; so why do the nattering nabobs of negativity keep hammering her? I do not get it? Are things that bad in the Nutmeg State?

Please--you are P IN_C--it is not the Nutmeg State--the State legislature were embarrassed by those salesmen who went west and sold wooden balls as nutmeg--so they re-named it the Constitution State. Now that embarrassed me because they had no more to do with the Constitution than any other 12 St. But they did have a Charter oak. OR the Gun state (all the makers of guns), Gin state (invented in New Haven (there about), The Lock state (Eagle Lock among other) , the Clock State (Seth Thomas, Eli Terry, Sesson, Ingrams, Buliva, etc.
Back to Natalie--everyone is waiting for her to and become what she apparently was at GT.
The truth is she has more fans rooting for her than those rooting for Crystal.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Natalie will be fine. She has the right attitude, she has the physical skills and she is healthy. She's a smart young lady.

This team will also be just fine.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Please--you are P IN_C--it is not the Nutmeg State--the State legislature were embarrassed by those salesmen who went west and sold wooden balls as nutmeg--so they re-named it the Constitution State. Now that embarrassed me because they had no more to do with the Constitution than any other 12 St. But they did have a Charter oak. OR the Gun state (all the makers of guns), Gin state (invented in New Haven (there about), The Lock state (Eagle Lock among other) , the Clock State (Seth Thomas, Eli Terry, Sesson, Ingrams, Buliva, etc.
Back to Natalie--everyone is waiting for her to and become what she apparently was at GT.
The truth is she has more fans rooting for her than those rooting for Crystal.

LOL!!! Don't forget Danbury was the hat capitol of the world and there is also the whole rust belt brass industry in the river valley just to the left.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Please--you are P IN_C--it is not the Nutmeg State--the State legislature were embarrassed by those salesmen who went west and sold wooden balls as nutmeg--so they re-named it the Constitution State. Now that embarrassed me because they had no more to do with the Constitution than any other 12 St.

I always thought that the important role of Roger Sherman. Founding Father and vital contributor to the US Constitution had something to do with that "Constitution State" label.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“sometimes players like Lou, they just kind of coast through things in the exhibition season.” Pretty much how I saw it when she got in. Sorta the kind of thing those left coast brats do! As long as she is not hobbled with an injury I'm happy. She will rock and roll.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Nat is a well-spoken and wise woman.

(bonus from the article: Lou was in Geno's doghouse) :eek:

Lou played like it. I think one thing that people don't realize is that this team is playing with a chip on its shoulder. This is a young team that's been told you're not good enough, you're not as good as those teams in the rafters. It's up to Lou and all of them to buy into the need to prove themselves on a minute by minute basis. Can't wait until Florida State.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the huskies are going to contend for a spot at the FF without Butler in the lineup are kidding themselves. I know most everyone on this board is convinced that Collier can control the paint. I believe our main 5 players need to be Chong, Nurse, Williams, KLS, and yes Butler. The small lineup looked great against overmatched exhibition opponents, and can probably be successful against the majority of teams. However after watching the exhibition games it is clear to me that Collier is still looking for a place to fit in. She is not a physical player, nor is she a skilled shooter, from anywhere on the court. Dangerfield seems to have great instincts , but will need time to develop. Irwin seem to know her role, and will probably help in the interior right away. Bent will be a serviceable extra guard on the bench. Geno is already playing mental games with this team, and he seems to be enjoying it. will be a fun and interesting season.

Reaction Score
What everyone above said. I was quite encouraged by Natalie and by Kyla, too. The competition wasn't tough, but sometimes it's even harder to play against that. Both played as well as we could possibly have expected them to. That Natalie could point specifically to a newer mental toughness as well as weight control shows that she thinks she's moved to the next level. For the first time, I'm thinking that against the top competition (ND, Baylor, USC, etc) UConn might be able to field a big enough team (substituting in and out) while Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Kia dominate at their positions.

It doesn't sound as if Lou is too far into the dog house, 'cause Geno was praising her with faint damnation (to invert the phrase), suggesting that sometimes great players loaf in exhibition games. ("Sometimes players like Lou, they just kind of coast through things in the exhibition season, they wait for big games to come so I just thought it was a good time to get other guys into the game and not worry about Lou."--this is the full quotation from another report.)

Reaction Score
“sometimes players like Lou, they just kind of coast through things in the exhibition season.” Pretty much how I saw it when she got in. Sorta the kind of thing those left coast brats do! As long as she is not hobbled with an injury I'm happy. She will rock and roll.
A---men Amen

Reaction Score
Geno's "Dog house" is not your typical one room abode. Nay, his has 8 modestly furnished rooms on two levels. Plenty of room for everybody. :)
And rarely does anyone miss it---EVEN STEWIE!!!!! But I cannot remember an instant when Morgan occupied one of those furnished rooms!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the huskies are going to contend for a spot at the FF without Butler in the lineup are kidding themselves. I know most everyone on this board is convinced that Collier can control the paint. I believe our main 5 players need to be Chong, Nurse, Williams, KLS, and yes Butler. The small lineup looked great against overmatched exhibition opponents, and can probably be successful against the majority of teams. However after watching the exhibition games it is clear to me that Collier is still looking for a place to fit in. She is not a physical player, nor is she a skilled shooter, from anywhere on the court. Dangerfield seems to have great instincts , but will need time to develop. Irwin seem to know her role, and will probably help in the interior right away. Bent will be a serviceable extra guard on the bench. Geno is already playing mental games with this team, and he seems to be enjoying it. will be a fun and interesting season.
I think your views about Napheesa are quite harsh, and not justified. She has shown repeatedly that she CAN get contested rebounds, and she is slippery enough to get layups and short jump shots against bigger but less mobile players. Her shooting accuracy in these two games was not great, but that should improve in short order. (The same could be said of Lou.)

Regarding the team's prospects and their dependence on Butler's performance, I think that is also overstated. Remember that last year's team won every NCAA tournament game except the Texas game by a margin of 30 points or more, and Texas was by around 18 or 20. The lack of a dominating post presence this year may cost 10 points or even 15 in the margin of victory, but it doesn't spell doom.

Having read some WWII naval history, I'm thinking that this year's team is a fleet of cruisers and destroyers, and it will face other teams with one or more battleships. The battleships aren't as quick or as maneuverable as the cruisers and destroyers, but they are very deadly if you get within range of their guns. But there are cases (such as the sinking of the Bismarck) where the smaller and more maneuverable ships won the battle, and UConn should be as well situated to do that as any such fleet.

Baylor will be a test case. The Huskies will be nipping at the heels of the very big Bears, and the Bears may find that highly unpleasant, especially if they have to chase Gabby / Kia / Saniya / Crystal down the floor several times after being relieved of the ball. That is why Geno has said that this year, UConn's defense has to be responsible for a big part of its offense. I predict that Geno will use the same strategy as he did last year against South Carolina: pick up the Baylor guards as soon as they cross mid-court, forcing a very long and contested pass into the front court. If Baylor's guards can be forced to focus on retaining possession of the ball rather than starting their offense, and if they occasionally fail even to do that, then UConn will win the game.

I certainly agree that the better Natalie proves to be this year (and she looked very good yesterday), and the better Kyla is backing her up, the better the team's chances are. But I don't think a Final Four appearance can be excluded as a realistic possibility even if we see no more from those two during the season than we have already seen.

Remember how much trouble Georgetown gave UConn in the Sweet Sixteen in 2011, with no player taller than 6-0. That was a far closer game than the Elite 8 game against Duke, who had much bigger players.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's a very upbeat article both about Natalie and also you can sense Geno's excitement about the team. It certainly has its challenges, but he's implying that they are quick and dedicated learners.

Your second sentence speaks volumes about the team and how much Geno likes this group. Butler may not be needed for lots of time--in lots of games--but she shall be needed in the OOC contests.

Reaction Score
I think your views about Napheesa are quite harsh, and not justified. She has shown repeatedly that she CAN get contested rebounds, and she is slippery enough to get layups and short jump shots against bigger but less mobile players. Her shooting accuracy in these two games was not great, but that should improve in short order. (The same could be said of Lou.)

Regarding the team's prospects and their dependence on Butler's performance, I think that is also overstated. Remember that last year's team won every NCAA tournament game except the Texas game by a margin of 30 points or more, and Texas was by around 18 or 20. The lack of a dominating post presence this year may cost 10 points or even 15 in the margin of victory, but it doesn't spell doom.

Having read some WWII naval history, I'm thinking that this year's team is a fleet of cruisers and destroyers, and it will face other teams with one or more battleships. The battleships aren't as quick or as maneuverable as the cruisers and destroyers, but they are very deadly if you get within range of their guns. But there are cases (such as the sinking of the Bismarck) where the smaller and more maneuverable ships won the battle, and UConn should be as well situated to do that as any such fleet.

Baylor will be a test case. The Huskies will be nipping at the heels of the very big Bears, and the Bears may find that highly unpleasant, especially if they have to chase Gabby / Kia / Saniya / Crystal down the floor several times after being relieved of the ball. That is why Geno has said that this year, UConn's defense has to be responsible for a big part of its offense. I predict that Geno will use the same strategy as he did last year against South Carolina: pick up the Baylor guards as soon as they cross mid-court, forcing a very long and contested pass into the front court. If Baylor's guards can be forced to focus on retaining possession of the ball rather than starting their offense, and if they occasionally fail even to do that, then UConn will win the game.

I certainly agree that the better Natalie proves to be this year (and she looked very good yesterday), and the better Kyla is backing her up, the better the team's chances are. But I don't think a Final Four appearance can be excluded as a realistic possibility even if we see no more from those two during the season than we have already seen.

Remember how much trouble Georgetown gave UConn in the Sweet Sixteen in 2011, with no player taller than 6-0. That was a far closer game than the Elite 8 game against Duke, who had much bigger players.

Think of the SLOT off of Guadalcanal--life or death for the Marines --Cruisers, Destroyers, and PT's --saved the day. Cruisers--Gabby, Kyla,Butler, KLS ( big guns),Destroyer--Collier, Bent, Chong (Fast with only 5 inch mounts)- PT's Crystal,-- KIA (Great Britains Heavy Cruiser)

Reaction Score

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I have a somewhat different sense of Pheesa's organic role than either of you. I think she is absolutely necessary on the court. She and Gabby have tremendous synergy. They are the 2 best athletes on the court; they rebound instinctively, they cut to the basket; they extemporize; they anticipate and intercept passes; they make plays at both ends. While Gabby is more athletic (than anybody!), Napheesa is pretty much developmentally where Gabby was at the start of last year. Having them both play together creates absolute havoc.

Reaction Score
What everyone above said. I was quite encouraged by Natalie and by Kyla, too. The competition wasn't tough, but sometimes it's even harder to play against that. Both played as well as we could possibly have expected them to. That Natalie could point specifically to a newer mental toughness as well as weight control shows that she thinks she's moved to the next level. For the first time, I'm thinking that against the top competition (ND, Baylor, USC, etc) UConn might be able to field a big enough team (substituting in and out) while Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Kia dominate at their positions.

It doesn't sound as if Lou is too far into the dog house, 'cause Geno was praising her with faint damnation (to invert the phrase), suggesting that sometimes great players loaf in exhibition games. ("Sometimes players like Lou, they just kind of coast through things in the exhibition season, they wait for big games to come so I just thought it was a good time to get other guys into the game and not worry about Lou."--this is the full quotation from another report.)

Again--Good analysis. If we remember last year--when Katie LOU --decided she needed to contribute--she did big time--at least 2 20 point games--no bad for a Freshman in a game with 3 top WBB players on her team.
Collier--some seem to think she isn't a scorer--she isn't when Gabby is making 20 points a half and grabs 9 rebound. Collier is a ball magnet--. In the USA games--my only reference for her--she shot well, attacked and scored with driving layups--shot the 3--. She does is not required to learn to shoot--she has been a shooter--she can shoot.
If all that is said about Butler--she shall be good to go. If Geno isn't burning her a new one--he's happy with her. In GENO I TRUST , what else can i do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom