Natalie Butler played her last college game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler played her last college game

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if she plays in the WNBA. I wish her well, but I don't think she is anywhere near talented or athletic enough.

Natalie is 6'5", sturdy and strong, fit, intelligent, has a great attitude, drive to succeed and invaluable experience. I am confident those are the traits that will make her successful in the W, as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She'd surely make a mockery of Russel. That death knell UT game was all about Russel trying to make up for lost time and looking pretty ridiculous in the process. Why oh why did this Great Job Natalie thread turn into something dragged behind a boat for some pretty good posters to bite on?

Reaction Score
Butler has that UConn experience that WNBA coaches love and will be an asset if only a minor payer. She is probably better now than Ruth Hamblin was when she got drafted. Her WNBA career may not last more a few years and she may average about 2 min/game but she'll make a roster.

Reaction Score
She'd surely make a mockery of Russel. That death knell UT game was all about Russel trying to make up for lost time and looking pretty ridiculous in the process. Why oh why did this Great Job Natalie thread turn into something dragged behind a boat for some pretty good posters to bite on?

That is a funny, but seemingly accurate take!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m open-minded about Nat’s future. She is good enough to play somewhere. She may be a decent option as a back-up center in the W. As a rookie, she’ll be affordable. If she doesn’t make it in the W, she surely can play in Europe.

Reaction Score
I’m open-minded about Nat’s future. She is good enough to play somewhere. She may be a decent option as a back-up center in the W. As a rookie, she’ll be affordable. If she doesn’t make it in the W, she surely can play in Europe.
She could be pretty dominant in most of the oversees leagues.

Reaction Score
Wonderful story. A view on Nat that some may or may not share. I always felt that she would have been a major contributor at UConn if her thumb injury never happened. Was frustrated for all concerned to watch her not be able to catch or handle ball in UConn's motion offense. Anyone who watched her this past year would have seen a fluid, confident player that likely would have earned major minutes. Much for skilled than she showed with the bad thumb as a Huskie.
Something was wrong with her because she never lived up to the hype. She looked out of place on Huskies. Game seemed way too fast. She sure shined with G. Mason.

Reaction Score
If Chong can make a W team I won’t be shocked if Butler does. Still amazing Chong is in the W.

Reaction Score
Butler has that UConn experience that WNBA coaches love and will be an asset if only a minor payer. She is probably better now than Ruth Hamblin was when she got drafted. Her WNBA career may not last more a few years and she may average about 2 min/game but she'll make a roster.
Hamblin is a liability. She can’t move enough for the W

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wonderful story. A view on Nat that some may or may not share. I always felt that she would have been a major contributor at UConn if her thumb injury never happened. Was frustrated for all concerned to watch her not be able to catch or handle ball in UConn's motion offense. Anyone who watched her this past year would have seen a fluid, confident player that likely would have earned major minutes. Much for skilled than she showed with the bad thumb as a Huskie.
I am not sure how 'great' Natalie would have been without the injury (maybe in the range of J. Moore kind of player in terms of impact?) but I agree that the injury definitely changed her trajectory - by the time she was ready the team had basically moved on without her. I have worried about Camara for the same reason, but hopefully next year she is ready from first practice and mentally beyond the injury.

Reaction Score
I am not sure how 'great' Natalie would have been without the injury (maybe in the range of J. Moore kind of player in terms of impact?) but I agree that the injury definitely changed her trajectory - by the time she was ready the team had basically moved on without her. I have worried about Camara for the same reason, but hopefully next year she is ready from first practice and mentally beyond the injury.
Watching her a bit this year, the hand (and hands in general) don't seem to be her problem anymore. Her biggest problem is that when other teams double her quickly, she doesn't react quick enough and they steal the ball or bother her shot. I'm hoping she will get that figured out.

Jessica Moore was really good and it is easy to forget how good. She was doing Tina Charles kinds of stuff before Charles was--albeit not quite as well--yet still really good. But I think your right, Natalie would be somewhere in that range. Believe me, I'm not kidding myself that Natalie is a Tina Charles or a Sylvia Fowles. I would still love to have her on my bench if I were a WNBA manager.

Reaction Score
Great post! Nice digging. It really has been a great career. I hope she has enjoyed her time.
You mean she set a new NCAA mark for rebounding in a season, led her league in scoring, and tied the single season NCAA record for double doubles and consecutive double doubles without enough talent or athleticism to be a backup in the W. Boy, that was lucky.
Despite it all, I don't think she is good enough. Her monster year was a level down from UCONN in competition. And at 6'5", with UCONN training, she starred. Good for her. But she is slow, not powerful and has bad hands. Let's revisit this discussion when the draft occurs and when, post training camps, WNBA teams are finalized.

Reaction Score
Despite it all, I don't think she is good enough. Her monster year was a level down from UCONN in competition. And at 6'5", with UCONN training, she starred. Good for her. But she is slow, not powerful and has bad hands. Let's revisit this discussion when the draft occurs and when, post training camps, WNBA teams are finalized.

Yes, we will have to wait and see the results of her efforts in the W. I will contend, though, that Natalie is strong and sturdy. Since when has "powerful" been a requisite trait for WNBA posts/players? I think very few current players could be described as "powerful". Concerning slowness, I think slowness brought on by indecision has been a problem for her. That can be remedied to a large extent with experience and hard work. - IMO.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned Russell. I think both Russell and Butler make the WNBA. Surely, they both can back up a center for two minutes. They just have to beat out that person on the roster now.
Personally, I think Butler will be more successful outside of basketball. Her resume will make her available to any business internationally.

Reaction Score
Yes, we will have to wait and see the results of her efforts in the W. I will contend, though, that Natalie is strong and sturdy. Since when has "powerful" been a requisite trait for WNBA posts/players? I think very few current players could be described as "powerful". Concerning slowness, I think slowness brought on by indecision has been a problem for her. That can be remedied to a large extent with experience and hard work. - IMO.
If I had to bet I would say Butler doesnt make a team. Her chances are 25%. I would have given Chong a 10% chance but she was drafted into a perfect situation and she earned it. A team and coach not afraid to cut an aging vet and really saw value in Chong’s UConn pedigree and smarts. Right after they drafted her the coach was already talking her up which signaled she had a real shot. This board was very classy not raking her over the coals for Ms State. UConn got a huge break by the refs just before that w Samuelson making the most heads up play I’ve ever seen on Dillingham and the refs bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I had to bet I would say Butler doesnt make a team. Her chances are 25%. I would have given Chong a 10% chance but she was drafted into a perfect situation and she earned it. A team and coach not afraid to cut an aging vet and really saw value in Chong’s UConn pedigree and smarts. Right after they drafted her the coach was already talking her up which signaled she had a real shot. This board was very classy not raking her over the coals for Ms State. UConn got a huge break by the refs just before that w Samuelson making the most heads up play I’ve ever seen on Dillingham and the refs bit.

Natalie will also carry valuable experience and smarts and they will be significant in her consideration.
The bulk of your post concerning Saniya's situation has no relevance to Natalie's future in the W.

Reaction Score
I think you have a good point. My post covered a lot of irrelevant ground

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom