Napier. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napier.

Reaction Score
I've been following the Nets a bit. Mostly because of Shabazz. I also find their turnaround to be interesting, including the fact that it's been totally ignored by the media. I thought they'd be more of a local darling with their move to Brooklyn since Brooklyn is so "hip." I think they actually get less press than they did when they were in NJ. Maybe because they don't have an accepted superstar.

Everyone once in a while I'll check a Nets message board. I used to do the same when he was in Portland. I've been surprised that the fans don't seem to think much of Shabazz. He gets the occasional accolades when he does well, and they seem happy that they have him after all of their injuries, but on the whole they seem to think of him as a guy that should be stuck on the end of the bench. Portland fans, on the other hand, seemed to love having Shabazz, but understood that salary cap issues would mean he'd be gone. There was a camp of fans that wanted to find a way to keep him in a heightened roll.

Someone mentioned in a different thread that Shabazz's agent seemed to have come up short. I agree. His NJ deal is mediocre, especially considering that it didn't look like he'd even get a lot of playing time had their not been an epidemic of injuries at the guard positions. I guess he can be a defensive liability, but from what I've seen it's mostly on strong drives to the basket. His hands are quick and he's such a smart player that he does a good job disrupting guys trying to just shoot over him.

Reaction Score
I've been following the Nets a bit. Mostly because of Shabazz. I also find their turnaround to be interesting, including the fact that it's been totally ignored by the media. I thought they'd be more of a local darling with their move to Brooklyn since Brooklyn is so "hip." I think they actually get less press than they did when they were in NJ. Maybe because they don't have an accepted superstar.

Everyone once in a while I'll check a Nets message board. I used to do the same when he was in Portland. I've been surprised that the fans don't seem to think much of Shabazz. He gets the occasional accolades when he does well, and they seem happy that they have him after all of their injuries, but on the whole they seem to think of him as a guy that should be stuck on the end of the bench. Portland fans, on the other hand, seemed to love having Shabazz, but understood that salary cap issues would mean he'd be gone. There was a camp of fans that wanted to find a way to keep him in a heightened roll.

Someone mentioned in a different thread that Shabazz's agent seemed to have come up short. I agree. His NJ deal is mediocre, especially considering that it didn't look like he'd even get a lot of playing time had their not been an epidemic of injuries at the guard positions. I guess he can be a defensive liability, but from what I've seen it's mostly on strong drives to the basket. His hands are quick and he's such a smart player that he does a good job disrupting guys trying to just shoot over him.

Yeah i read something on reddit from a net fan saying how Shabazz takes a bunch of bad shots early in the shot clock. I think Napier's shot will get better if he consistently gets PT. It's hard to really work on your shot if you arent getting playing time (i get they shoot in practice). I'm just hoping he keeps taking advantage of the PT he is getting. A place like the Pacers would probably love to have Napier.

Reaction Score

He's not an asset defensively and he's a score first PG with average NBA-level shooting.

Portland fans loved him because he improved while there (getting older/stronger/more consistent shooting helped), and he had that great "Shabazz is the man" marketing campaign.

He's taken more shots in Brooklyn and he's been relatively the same efficiency (actually getting to the line a bit and his TOs are down a bit), so that's good, but he hasn't really gotten their offense going aside from his own shots.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's been a long past few years–hell, a long decade–for Nets fans. Seeing Bazz play a part in this mini-resurgence makes it even sweeter.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I like having Bazz in NY, because all their games are on the tube locally, so I can catch him in action regularly. The local announcers dish quite a bit of praise on his play.

Reaction Score

I’m a Knicks fan but also have been watching the Nets this year. Atkinson is a good coach. When Shabazz gets going like he did last night it reminds me of how much fun UConn bb was with him there

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bazz going full headband in his second start of the year as the Nets faceoff against the Bucks in Brooklyn. As the second half gets underway he has 11pts on pitiful shooting (2-9, 0-6 from 3). 3ast, 3reb, 2stl, 7-7fts. Hopefully he can start finding the range. Kinda really sucking on D at the moment too.

Reaction Score
0-10 from deep tonight. Yeesh.

The Nets shot 5/42. The NBA is absurd right now. Can't wait for the first game where every single shot is a three.

Reaction Score
First career double-double last night, 10p/11a. Huge win for the Nets, too, as they beat a very good Denver team.

Didn't expect this Brooklyn team to be in the playoffs, but they're gonna make it. Atkinson's a hell of a coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom