Napier the new starting PG in Orlando? | The Boneyard

Napier the new starting PG in Orlando?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Elfrid Payton missed all seven shots from the field against the Cavs on Monday, adding two rebounds, four assists, one steal and no turnovers

Coach Scott Skiles didn't play any of his starters in the final 14 minutes of this game, but garbage time was a factor. The Magic will be making a lineup change and there is a chance Payton could be benched in favor of Shabazz Napier. He should still be owned in all leagues and a buy-low offer could be in order.

Give Napier a chance baby!!

Reaction Score
9 assists tonight and over 30 minutes. ...but he shot 3/10. I think he wins the job by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
scott skiles is erratic in his line up logic, napier could very well see limited minutes his next game. who said "the magic will be making a lineup change"?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
scott skiles is erratic in his line up logic, napier could very well see limited minutes his next game. who said "the magic will be making a lineup change"?

Wishful thinking?

Reaction Score

This feels like the start of a power struggle between Skiles and the front office. They spent a ton - two first-round picks and a high second-round pick - to get Payton, and if the new coach (a former PG) is getting benching him after 15 games, it speaks volumes.

FWIW I'm not sure what the trade market for Payton would be. He's a poor man's Rondo in all aspects of the game, and there's not a huge market for PGs like that anymore. Not in the pace and space era.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Payton is not going anywhere. My suspicion is that Napier will be something of a co-point guard depending on matchups. Orlando has lost a lot of close games due to Payton's weak jumper. But he is still a major talent. He needs to work on his jumper. A consistent jumper from 10 to 15 ft would help. Both are not great at finishing at the rim. But Payton can be a very good defender. Bazz will be posted. He needs both.

Reaction Score

This feels like the start of a power struggle between Skiles and the front office. They spent a ton - two first-round picks and a high second-round pick - to get Payton, and if the new coach (a former PG) is getting benching him after 15 games, it speaks volumes.

FWIW I'm not sure what the trade market for Payton would be. He's a poor man's Rondo in all aspects of the game, and there's not a huge market for PGs like that anymore. Not in the pace and space era.

wow. Looks like i was wrong. skiles has already gone full skiles

Reaction Score
Despite his alma mater, I kinda like Skiles. He's a fiesty dude. But he seems like a big bridge burner.

Reaction Score
Coach Scott Skiles didn't play any of his starters in the final 14 minutes of this game, but garbage time was a factor. The Magic will be making a lineup change and there is a chance Payton could be benched in favor of Shabazz Napier. He should still be owned in all leagues and a buy-low offer could be in order.

true , it sounded like he speaking facts , quoting a beat writer or something.

Reads like he is quoting from a fantasy basketball site

Reaction Score
Yeah they wont like shut down payton, he's super young and has good games at times, it could just be injecting Shabazz as the starter isn't much of a step back from Payton and maybe the move motivates Payton to get better. I just hope I don't sit and not pick him up in fantasy and then watch as someone else does and he starts getting 8 assists a game

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Skiles is a certified nutjob and I have no idea why he still gets coaching opportunities. He literally burns his bridges and loses his locker room until he gets fired.

Benching Oladipo and Vucevic, their two best players by a mile, for big stretches the last 3 games makes a whole lot of sense...........Bazz might actually have a chance here

Reaction Score
Eh, so a coach who benches a guy that isn't playing well for a guy playing better is immediately a lunatic? I think a coach/managers job is essentially to play the best combination of players, at the best time, no?

Matrim, how can we advocate for taking the long-view with Payton and in the same sentence freak out about changing the starting lineup for the next game?! Then you trade him in the next paragraph? Short view or long view.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Eh, so a coach who benches a guy that isn't playing well for a guy playing better is immediately a lunatic? I think a coach/managers job is essentially to play the best combination of players, at the best time, no?

Matrim, how can we advocate for taking the long-view with Payton and in the same sentence freak out about changing the starting lineup for the next game?! Then you trade him in the next paragraph? Short view or long view.
Look at the full body of work for Skiles. He's not a players coach and he rubs upper management the wrong way at every stop he's been to.

I wasn't slighting Bazz at all here. Payton is overrated to me and I thought Bazz should have been drafted above him. But the fact of the matter is Bazz was the #3 PG option behind Watson and Payton and now could be the starter - hope it works out but watch out for that Skiles doghouse...it has a revolving door on it

I also hate him because I own Vucevic in fantasy :D (try and tell me Dedmon and Nicholson are better options.........)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah they wont like shut down payton, he's super young and has good games at times, it could just be injecting Shabazz as the starter isn't much of a step back from Payton and maybe the move motivates Payton to get better. I just hope I don't sit and not pick him up in fantasy and then watch as someone else does and he starts getting 8 assists a game

Can't really motivate him to suddenly learn to shoot midseason.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth. When Payton is on, he is very good. But when he is off, he is a dead man.

Reaction Score
It was from a fantasy website - thats why I posted a ? on my post. But as you guys found out on twitter- Skiles is making changes - hopefully Bazz gets a shot and runs with it!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'd never draft a PG without a jump shot, no matter how skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom