Napier-Lamb-Smith-Oriakhi-Drummond | The Boneyard

Napier-Lamb-Smith-Oriakhi-Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hmm.... only one I can possibly think of is maybe Napier-Lamb-Daniels-Oriakhi-Drummond. Because there sure aren't other teams with a better starting 5.

Reaction Score
The Gif, TO, Boat show, and & Double D off the bench? We going to F folks up

Reaction Score
I enter the site for my first time and this is awaiting me? I love the new Boneyard

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Our back up 5 could beat a lot of teams. real talk.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Our top 6 possibly top 7 will all play in the NBA. This could be our most talented team ever AND one of our youngest. Great day to be a husky.

caw

Reaction Score
Not sure if top 6-7 will play in the NBA, but I have no idea how they are going to manage minutes:

PG - Napier 30 Backup Boatright 10
SG - Lamb 30 Backup Daniels 5 Boatright 5
SF - Smith 15 Backup Daniels 15 Giffey 10
PF - Drummond 25 Backup Smith 10 Olander 5
C - Oriakhi 30 Backup Drummond 5 Wolf/Bradley 5

I really can't figure it out. I know Daniels/Boatright/Drummond will be freshman but with their talent it seems like I'm shorting them on minutes. Same with Giffey.

That is a stacked team as long as either Boatright and/or Daniels can backup the 2 in spurts. The length of that team is sick, PG is kind of small, but with how pesky I expect the Napier/Boatright combination to be, that's fine.

Reaction Score
I expect Giffey to see some time there as well, he had a very good summer overseas playing predominately the SG position. He needs to show some more ballhandling skills then he showed last year(those youtube clips seemed to indicate that he was capable, I think he was just a lil cautious), but I expect him to be the primary backup for Lamb there and then splitting time with Daniels as a backup SF.

Not sure if top 6-7 will play in the NBA, but I have no idea how they are going to manage minutes:

PG - Napier 30 Backup Boatright 10
SG - Lamb 30 Backup Daniels 5 Boatright 5
SF - Smith 15 Backup Daniels 15 Giffey 10
PF - Drummond 25 Backup Smith 10 Olander 5
C - Oriakhi 30 Backup Drummond 5 Wolf/Bradley 5

I really can't figure it out. I know Daniels/Boatright/Drummond will be freshman but with their talent it seems like I'm shorting them on minutes. Same with Giffey.

That is a stacked team as long as either Boatright and/or Daniels can backup the 2 in spurts. The length of that team is sick, PG is kind of small, but with how pesky I expect the Napier/Boatright combination to be, that's fine.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I expect Giffey to see some time there as well, he had a very good summer overseas playing predominately the SG position. He needs to show some more ballhandling skills then he showed last year(those youtube clips seemed to indicate that he was capable, I think he was just a lil cautious), but I expect him to be the primary backup for Lamb there and then splitting time with Daniels as a backup SF.

I would like to see that. There were times when he played spontaneously and looked really good. Some of his passes in the open court were too risky and after getting the hook a few times, he seemed to get too cautious/tight. I also hope that Blaney could help him to develop a better jumper (higher release point, better arc) as he tries to guide the ball and shoot too much of a set shot (IMHO). Daniels could take some of the time at the 2 as well if he can defend. Can be tough for the 6'6" type players to stay with some of the smaller, faster 2G's.

Just so many possible combinations.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i posted the same thing but didn't realize there was already a thread on it. i was too excited. i don't know how the PT will work out. but this team will make a serious push for winning the BE, the BET, and the final 4.

Reaction Score
This solidifies this team IMO, the only perceived weakness was the Center position so we swiftly fill that need with the best freshman in the country. Not too shabby.

caw

Reaction Score
How does this compare in peoples minds to say the 2004 team?

2003-2004
Napier vs Brown
Lamb vs Gordon
Smith vs Brown
Drummond vs Boone
Oriahki vs Okafor

Benches:
Daniels vs Anderson
Boatright vs Williams (half the year)
Olander vs Charlie V.
Wolf vs Armstrong
Bradley vs Marcus White
Giffey vs Tooles

I'd love to see that game. PG is pretty even, though Brown has a ton of muscle on Napier. Lamb/Gordon would be interesting with Lamb's length and Gordon's ability to take over. Smith/Brown is pretty even. I think Drummond has an advantage on Boone, while Oriakhi probably has a slight disadvantage against Okafor.

Have to give Anderson and Charlie the nod off the bench, though Daniels/Giffey and Boatright keep them fairly even.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This solidifies this team IMO, the only perceived weakness was the Center position so we swiftly fill that need with the best freshman in the country. Not too shabby.
I agree. There has to be three ecstatic people on the team - Shabazz, Alex and Jeremy. It will be very hard for teams to focus on Alex and Jeremy with AD in the line up. Shabazz should be enjoying a season of creating assists!

Reaction Score
I'd still take 04 team with veterans Brown, Gordon, Okafor etc...bench definitely stronger in 04, but who knows by March...to early to really predict, but fun to speculate...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If this team wins it all they'll end up (in my eyes at least) in a four way tie for the best UConn team ever.

Reaction Score
To quote the legendary Fishy...what JC has done in 18 months would make Lazarus jealous. This was a basketball program that many thought was on the brink of falling apart (I wasn't convinced, but i was VERY concerned). A horribly disappointing season, an old coach who was contemplating retirement, etc.. Now you look at the roster and you're reminded of the talent level of the 2006 team. Amazing.

Reaction Score
Who else is already envisioning Bazz to Drummond alley oops?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'd still take 04 team with veterans Brown, Gordon, Okafor etc...bench definitely stronger in 04, but who knows by March...to early to really predict, but fun to speculate...

On paper, it would be the 2004 team by a lot. Gordon over Lamb, a senior Taliek probably over a more talented by young Shabazz, Okafor over Drummond (or Oriakhi), Boone was a good role player, but could give PF to this team, and the SF is tough to call (the experience of Denham/Rashad vs. greater athleticism/upside for Roscoe and DD). But still, the potential of this year's team is very strong.

A whole lot will come down to how well Shabazz can lead the team. If he plays as inconsistently as he did last year, we probably don't compete for a title in the BE or NCAA.

Reaction Score
To quote the legendary Fishy...what JC has done in 18 months would make Lazarus jealous. This was a basketball program that many thought was on the brink of falling apart (I wasn't convinced, but i was VERY concerned). A horribly disappointing season, an old coach who was contemplating retirement, etc.. Now you look at the roster and you're reminded of the talent level of the 2006 team. Amazing.
Don't forget the Nate Miles incident was still looming over our heads as well... We are officially loaded again and feels sooo good.

Reaction Score
Right now I would take the 04 team but its easy to say that because you know what you're getting because we know how everyone turned out. With this team we don't necessarily know the progressions of everyone but we have a decent idea. Some people make the leap some don't. That being said, I would take this team against the 2011-12 UNC team and the 2011-12 UK team and against any other 2011-12 team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
On paper, it would be the 2004 team by a lot. Gordon over Lamb, a senior Taliek probably over a more talented by young Shabazz, Okafor over Drummond (or Oriakhi), Boone was a good role player, but could give PF to this team, and the SF is tough to call (the experience of Denham/Rashad vs. greater athleticism/upside for Roscoe and DD). But still, the potential of this year's team is very strong.

A whole lot will come down to how well Shabazz can lead the team. If he plays as inconsistently as he did last year, we probably don't compete for a title in the BE or NCAA.

You take the 2004 team and it's not even close. So many talented veterans, so many good young studs. This years team has great potential, but even at the end of the season (without knowing how we'll turn out) I'm still taking '04. That's the best team, top to bottom, UConn has put on the court in my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
UConn had the two best players in college basketball in 2004...it is tough to compare any team to that, but I understand these comparisons now given who this team just added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom