Napheesa's rise to the top should not have been a surprise | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa's rise to the top should not have been a surprise

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I surely recall a writer (of some consequence) noting that Pheesa would be a Maya Moore type.
I was an early admirer as well but thought her game was distinctly different, didn't see the similarities.

And indeed their games are quite different...
But what is similar is there ability to score (and score) from many angles and sectors.

Last night there was a telling moment...about the team and the relationship to the coaching staff.
Not at the beginning of her scoring outburst, there was either a time-out or a sideline conference.
And lo and behold, Chris was coaching Pheesa...who obediently nodded her head and distinctly mouthed ok.

I have noted during the season, that this group takes instruction as well as any in Husky history.
One of the secrets to their success.
And setting the table for the huge influx of talent next season

Reaction Score
Love it!!As it turns out it appears The Young lady is just living up to her name.. Destiny I suppose

The name Nafeesa is a Muslim baby name. In Muslim the meaning of the name Nafeesa is: Precious. Delicate. Gem.

Nafeesa is an indirect Quranic name for girls. It means valuable, precious, extremely desired.
It’s literal meaning is “something so good and valuable that people compete for it”, derived from the N-F-S root (to breathe, to compete), which is mentioned in many places in the Quran.

Not that I'm a fan of the Quran, just looked up the meaning and thought it interesting and decided to share it with the forum..
Can anyone verify; I think her high school, or growing up nickname, was Bambi?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Love it!!As it turns out it appears The Young lady is just living up to her name.. Destiny I suppose

The name Nafeesa is a Muslim baby name. In Muslim the meaning of the name Nafeesa is: Precious. Delicate. Gem.

Nafeesa is an indirect Quranic name for girls. It means valuable, precious, extremely desired.
It’s literal meaning is “something so good and valuable that people compete for it”, derived from the N-F-S root (to breathe, to compete), which is mentioned in many places in the Quran.

Not that I'm a fan of the Quran, just looked up the meaning and thought it interesting and decided to share it with the forum..
Wonderful.

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely spacing that allows her the opportunity. But after that, it's all her:

because, what amaze me most about Pheesa's fantastic shooting percentage are:
1. her incredible footwork under the basket. Without looking to see how or thinking how she could move, she just does, splitting defenders, going around them, etc. Can't teach that; it's instinct: simultaneously processing where she can go with how she can shoot.
2. Similarly, even on her turn-around jumpers, she unerringly knows exactly where she has to shoot off the backboard.

of course, both these skills come from 10,000s reps. it's called practice and court presence. but everyone does 10000s reps and virtually no one I've ever seen does it with such precision and accuracy. I think Pheesa learns things and doesn't forget them, AND simply has a better integration of foot, hand, and eye coordination than almost anyone out there.

I'll add to that bags. She has amazing, instinctive body control and very soft hands. It's not easy on pick and rolls (when your back is to the basket and your body is fully extended to receive the entry pass) not to commit an offensive foul. She senses or feels the defenders' body contact and makes incredible mid air adjustments. Rarely does she have to "gather herself" to get to the glass but instead just seems to glide to the rim. I was at the game last night. What a joy to watch her.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yes, definitely spacing that allows her the opportunity. But after that, it's all her:

because, what amaze me most about Pheesa's fantastic shooting percentage are:
1. her incredible footwork under the basket. Without looking to see how or thinking how she could move, she just does, splitting defenders, going around them, etc. Can't teach that; it's instinct: simultaneously processing where she can go with how she can shoot.
2. Similarly, even on her turn-around jumpers, she unerringly knows exactly where she has to shoot off the backboard.

of course, both these skills come from 10,000s reps. it's called practice and court presence. but everyone does 10000s reps and virtually no one I've ever seen does it with such precision and accuracy. I think Pheesa learns things and doesn't forget them, AND simply has a better integration of foot, hand, and eye coordination than almost anyone out there.
She made a move in the first half yesterday where she got the ball a little too deep on the baseline and drew a double team. She was able to step through, into the lane and away from the hoop for an easy lay-in... covered about four feet of floor space. Just left me shaking my head....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You may only remember 2, but I am sure there where a few more, including myself (forgive my shameless ego trip). This is what I posted almost a year ago (my emphasis below).

"UConn will remain one of the best defensive teams in WCBB and that is what you need to win. Gabby, Napheesa and Katie, next year, will be as good as any three in the game. Kia Nurse and Chong are both winners. Their will to win, trumps the vast majority of players who are more skilled at those positions. If they can get Crystal to play disruptive defense like MJ this year, UConn will be very, very good."

#post-1591213

Of course my prediction was not perfect, because I also predicted a 2 loss, championship season. Oh well.

As far as Napheesa, I like a few others, remember the U19 or another HS game she was in, and I could tell immediately, she was special.

"Gabby, Napheesa and Katie, next year, will be as good as any three in the game. Kia Nurse and Chong are both winners." - Spoken by a true visionary. These five ladies proved you right. This summer will afford us (the boneyard) another opportunity to debate who the 5th starter will be next season, as Chong graduates, and creates an opening. All of this assumes that all 4 returning starters start next year as well. Some will say Dangerfield, others will say Z (Stevens). I'm sure a few may even lobby for Megan Walker to start.

It will be a debate that will last until the first exhibition game in November. Remember, last summer, some had Dangerfield starting, others gave chapter and verse why Butler should start. Chong had a few supporters, but not many. No one saw the leap she made over the summer with her improved defense, and her ability to gain Geno's trust. I think I know who Geno will insert into that 5th starter role, but I'll save that for later this summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought her take from outside the three-point line for a lay up was magic.

It reminded me of watching Magic do that to my Celts. He never hurried. Everyone knew where he was going, but he would ooze through the defense for an easy hoop.

Reaction Score
is there anybody out there who would trade Naphessa Collier for A'ja Wilson?

Nah...............didn't think so.................

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A friend of mine said he thinks Collier is an improved version of Morgan Tuck. Which actually is really saying something. But thinking about it, I kinda agree. At least offensively. They both had great moves around the basket, could drive from the anywhere on the floor and could shoot the 3. Just seems Collier can do it a little bit better than Tuck.

Reaction Score
Nice thread. Pheesa coming off peak performance, Bravo!

The last 4 years were personified by the group of three. With respect to the other two AA candidates, the esteemed senior contributor and willing and capable bench, Phee and Lou knew each other and played together before committing to the BY ;). There's a dynamism at work that belies their notable individual accomplishments to date. No matter which one garners more individual accolades, they are doing it in concert. I can't separate the two.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If we want to go all the way back and give credit then this quote by @AnotherVolFan is noteworthy:

"
I hateeeee I didn't get a chance to see Collier play in this tournament!!! I've always said Collier is the #1 player in the 2015 class.....hands down!"

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
A friend of mine said he thinks Collier is an improved version of Morgan Tuck. Which actually is really saying something. But thinking about it, I kinda agree. At least offensively. They both had great moves around the basket, could drive from the anywhere on the floor and could shoot the 3. Just seems Collier can do it a little bit better than Tuck.
hmm, This topic has been covered on the BY already
I do love Collier and I think she has the ability to surpass Morgan's but only because Tuck was limited by her injuries, it's really not fair to compare because it's not on even grounds.. Both great players, Both Effective, Both UCONN Studs and I'm not trading either of them for any other player period..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Nah.....didn't think so.......

I would not trade Collier for Wilson, or anyone else. She's doing everything Geno wants/expects/needs her to do.

I do wonder how Wilson would have fared had she come to UConn. How much better (if at all) would she be?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I love me some Napheesa but I might, well I'd at least think about it mainly because A'ja is 6'5". Gabby, Napheesa & KLS are all GREAT wings and two (Gabby & Napheesa) are really playing out of position at PF and having to defend centers. A'Ja is a natural PF/C & UCONN has another couple of dynamic wing coming in as Freshmen and a tall wing type player (Azura) who is also likely going to have to defend centers next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom