Napheesa's rise to the top should not have been a surprise | The Boneyard

Napheesa's rise to the top should not have been a surprise

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
There were two Boneyarders who last year (2015-2016) steadfastly supported Napheesa for fifth starter over Lou or Nat or anyone else. I don't remember their names, but boy were they prescient!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is it just this simple?

“I think Napheesa did what she’s done all season. I don’t think there’s anything different. She knows where she wants the ball, she goes to that spot and she gets it and she finishes,” Auriemma said. “She’s incredibly efficient, she’s incredibly consistent. She’s just really hard to play against. Our guys don’t normally score 39 points, that’s a lot of points.” Collier Scores 39 As UConn Ends Regular Season With 96-68 Win At USF

"They just space the floor so well," Fernandez said. "And when they shoot the ball from (3-point range), you've got to extend out so much and guard that 3-point line, it just leaves your big guy on the island (against Collier)."USF women keep it close for awhile but fall to UConn and its 104-game winning streak

Nope, it isn't. Napheesa is just one (big) piece of UConn's offensive ballet. But together Fernandez and Geno give you a pretty good handle on why Phee's part of it is steam rolling along right now. She has got 4 very good team mates keeping the floor spread and getting that ball where she wants it.

Now, it's time for KLS to go 50% on 3s.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Napheesa's "secrets" that represent changes/development since Dawn coached her are 1) her use of the glass, and 2) her fadeaway

She credits the coaches for encouraging her to use the glass but I feel like the fade is more her own response to getting her shot blocked (per Napheesa) when she first arrived. (So some credit should go to Stewie, here!! The 6'6" Azura probably presents a shot-blocking challenge in practice, as well.)

Many BYers saw that video she posted of her working out over the summer, working on offensive skills and shots. Methinks that unlike many such videos, that workout was but the tip of a very large iceberg. She got work done last summer, and it carried over very nicely.

What hasn't changed is how hard she works to bury her defender, how she posts up hard and rotates her position to better accommodate entry passes as the ball moves around, and how early she gets her work done. More developed in these areas now, vs. when she arrived? Absolutely. But she already had a good base with these skills.

It's what she has learned to do with the ball once she got it that "really escalated quickly..!"

:)

ronb 1.jpg

Reaction Score
I saw in U19 and in her first year that she would be the best Uconn had. All she needed was more strength and the green light. She always had every skill or the potential to easily master every skill set a basket ball player could have. She could have so many more points to her record right now but since she can do everything, she was utilized at other key aspects of the game. Now she is scoring more and doing everything else.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is interesting because I seem to have some faint memories of seeing Naphessa play in the U19 and I just kept saying to myself that she never makes a mistake. She is always around the ball.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised she's got this good period. In saying that I'm not slighting her. I mean she makes like every shot for starters, that's pretty amazing. She also makes every right decision. She was on the break last night and instead of going all the way to hole she pulled up for a jumper. How many times would that scenario turn into a O foul.

I've been saying all year she's going to be talked about as the next all time premium all time uconn player. We've been so psyched about Megan walker being the next best thing,we have it here under our nose.

Phees is the best :)

Reaction Score
There were two Boneyarders who last year (2015-2016) steadfastly supported Napheesa for fifth starter over Lou or Nat or anyone else. I don't remember their names, but boy were they prescient!

I have been a strong believer in Collier since her USA days, same with Dangerfield---as strong and vocal as I have been about her talent---I never in my wildest dreams could have thought she'd be 69 percent from the field and nearly unstoppable , by any one other than Napheesa. I believe Coco spoke highly and strongly too. In the USA's she was very good--now she is great--NpoY candidate par excellent.
But just to be accurate--Katie Lou i strongly believed/believe in too. This year, unlike past years, Gabby has made me a believer. I had posted earlier in the year that Gabby would not be successful against players 6 /2 or taller--WRONG--there is a size limit for her--but she hasn't met it yet.

Reaction Score
Phee has improved is so many seemingly small ways that, when combined, have created an amazing, complete player.

I know she has worked on strength, using the glass, her 3, etc., but I also wonder how distracting last years injury was for her.

Perhaps it is nothing, but last season, there were times when she appeared to lose focus, which pain or a twinge can do, but not so this year. Her focus is laser-like, and her game, poetry.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What's becoming clear is we have Pheesa and they dont. We have Lou and they don't. We have Gabby and they don't. Three unique players who demand attention. And we have the ball handlers that glue it all together in Kia, Saniya and Crystal each of whom can shoot. Toss in Natalie for a different look and very good passer.

Who knows if they will win it all, but maybe except for the Lobo team, I really want this team to win it all as much as any we've been lucky to have. Just a great team in every sense of the word and so unpredicted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Napheesa was the one player in her recruiting class whom Geno most wanted--because she could do so much. He has a good eye for talent, obviously.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Napheesa was the one player in her recruiting class whom Geno most wanted--because she could do so much. He has a good eye for talent, obviously.

I would say he was as high on her coming as anyone not named Maya, Diana, Rebecca or Stewie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What's becoming clear is we have Pheesa and they dont. We have Lou and they don't. We have Gabby and they don't. Three unique players who demand attention. And we have the ball handlers that glue it all together in Kia, Saniya and Crystal each of whom can shoot. Toss in Natalie for a different look and very good passer.

Who knows if they will win it all, but maybe except for the Lobo team, I really want this team to win it all as much as any we've been lucky to have. Just a great team in every sense of the word and so unpredicted.

The true essence of the concept of team is the core and embodiment of this group of players. It shows in their play, in the camaraderie they exhibit on and off the court. Their single-mindedness of a particular goal, that of winning every game they play. To never accept failure. The ability to play hard, smart and unselfishly for your teammates and for the good of the team. Accountability, self-awareness and the insatiable desire to want to become the best player you can be.

These are the attributes that define the players that comprise the UConn Women's Basketball Team. These are the ideals that are taught, ingrained into and embraced by every player in Geno's "boot camp" at the beginning of every season. These ideals are manifested in their comportment and their play on a nightly basis. The will to win. The refusal to lose. The will to play and play hard, even when fatigue begins to set in. Never acknowledging the clock, the score or the opponent, but rather playing against yourself, and always trying to overcome the persistent obstacles between you and perfection. That is core/root of UConn women's basketball. Collier and her teammates have bought in these concepts and flourished in a year that they were not suppose to.

Reaction Score
"They just space the floor so well," Fernandez said. "And when they shoot the ball from (3-point range), you've got to extend out so much and guard that 3-point line, it just leaves your big guy on the island (against Collier)."USF women keep it close for awhile but fall to UConn and its 104-game winning streak
Yes, definitely spacing that allows her the opportunity. But after that, it's all her:

because, what amaze me most about Pheesa's fantastic shooting percentage are:
1. her incredible footwork under the basket. Without looking to see how or thinking how she could move, she just does, splitting defenders, going around them, etc. Can't teach that; it's instinct: simultaneously processing where she can go with how she can shoot.
2. Similarly, even on her turn-around jumpers, she unerringly knows exactly where she has to shoot off the backboard.

of course, both these skills come from 10,000s reps. it's called practice and court presence. but everyone does 10000s reps and virtually no one I've ever seen does it with such precision and accuracy. I think Pheesa learns things and doesn't forget them, AND simply has a better integration of foot, hand, and eye coordination than almost anyone out there.

Reaction Score
Once again, my assessment of Napheesa:
"She could walk on water and not scare the fish.":)
I love how she glides back upcourt after UCONN scores. Kind of like a female version of the big Indian in One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. :)

Reaction Score
The true essence of the concept of team is the core and embodiment of this group of players. It shows in their play, in the camaraderie they exhibit on and off the court. Their single-mindedness of a particular goal, that of winning every game they play. To never accept failure. The ability to play hard, smart and unselfishly for your teammates and for the good of the team. Accountability, self-awareness and the insatiable desire to want to become the best player you can be.

These are the attributes that define the players that comprise the UConn Women's Basketball Team. These are the ideals that are taught, ingrained into and embraced by every player in Geno's "boot camp" at the beginning of every season. These ideals are manifested in their comportment and their play on a nightly basis. The will to win. The refusal to lose. The will to play and play hard, even when fatigue begins to set in. Never acknowledging the clock, the score or the opponent, but rather playing against yourself, and always trying to overcome the persistent obstacles between you and perfection. That is core/root of UConn women's basketball. Collier and her teammates have bought in these concepts and flourished in a year that they were not suppose to.

They read, and heard, that their version of the UCONN dynasty was in trouble, what with the graduation of the three superstars. Then they chose to prove everybody wrong. Nothing bad was going to happen on their watch. This is why I love this team and these kids.

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely spacing that allows her the opportunity. But after that, it's all her:

because, what amaze me most about Pheesa's fantastic shooting percentage are:
1. her incredible footwork under the basket. Without looking to see how or thinking how she could move, she just does, splitting defenders, going around them, etc. Can't teach that; it's instinct: simultaneously processing where she can go with how she can shoot.
2. Similarly, even on her turn-around jumpers, she unerringly knows exactly where she has to shoot off the backboard.

of course, both these skills come from 10,000s reps. it's called practice and court presence. but everyone does 10000s reps and virtually no one I've ever seen does it with such precision and accuracy. I think Pheesa learns things and doesn't forget them, AND simply has a better integration of foot, hand, and eye coordination than almost anyone out there.
These girls, not just Collier, are just plain smart. Listen to them in interviews, especially the Core Four. They're so poised, relaxed, patient in listening to the same questions over and over. When they occasionally face a new and interesting question, they take a moment and think before answering.

It's very easy to take this and understand not just how hard they physically work in practice but that they quickly learn the mental side of the game. When they move the ball on offense it's for a reason, it's not just to share the ball but to use a volleyball term, to "better the ball". Darned few players, let alone whole teams, know how to do this.

Reaction Score
You may only remember 2, but I am sure there where a few more, including myself (forgive my shameless ego trip). This is what I posted almost a year ago (my emphasis below).

"UConn will remain one of the best defensive teams in WCBB and that is what you need to win. Gabby, Napheesa and Katie, next year, will be as good as any three in the game. Kia Nurse and Chong are both winners. Their will to win, trumps the vast majority of players who are more skilled at those positions. If they can get Crystal to play disruptive defense like MJ this year, UConn will be very, very good."

#post-1591213

Of course my prediction was not perfect, because I also predicted a 2 loss, championship season. Oh well.

As far as Napheesa, I like a few others, remember the U19 or another HS game she was in, and I could tell immediately, she was special.

Reaction Score
Even as a freshman, Collier had that magical ability to be in the right place offensively and the ball inevitably ended up in her hands as if her they were magnets..........a chosen few players have that knack and she's one of them.........that said, I have to admit that I didn't think she would score 20 points per game and shoot close to 70% from the floor as a sophomore..........I don't know that her numbers will be quite as gaudy next year with so much additional help up front............but she will have proven here value to the rest of the basketball world..........

Reaction Score
Just searched for old Napheesa thread's and there were actually many folks who predicted she would be outstanding..........I'm going to "modestly" reach back and pat myself on the back for this statement from last April

"You know it!!! If you watch video of her shooting in high school games you see that she has a great touch from the three point line....I dare say she may be a better three point shooter then Morgan by the time she graduates.... of all the returning players she may very well have the most upside potential offensively and defensively"

Charliebball, Apr 7, 2016

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, I'm just going to repeat what I said around the first of the year,

"Lou gets a lot of glory and deservedly so. But Collier is one of the most unique players I've seen at UConn, or anywhere in WCBB. She's so quick and precise in her cuts. She really knows how to plant that foot and make that move to the hoop. She has great deception on the pick and roll. She has a great variety of shots around the basket. She has great awareness of where she is under the hoop. She knows her spots on the floor, and frequently she'll receive a pass, whether she's stationary or on the move, exactly on the block. She's knows which spots on the floor where her shot is most effective. When she goes in the lane she'll receive the pass in the same spot. Gabby plays with a lot of energy, but Phessa also plays with an incredible amount of energy and pace. Where Lou is silky on her shots, Pheesa is graceful. Pheesa has the best hands on the team for receiving passes. Some of the best in WCBB. She's the best on the team at reading the ball off the rim. I don't think I've ever seen a more consistent player. She gives you the same game every game. The best part is, she's a sophomore. As teams develop schemes to stop her she'll get stronger. She's going to develop better footwork. She'll find more effective spots on the floor. She's going to become better defensively. She's going to become a better outside shooter. She’s going to develop a better handle. She's going to learn to read her teammates better. Geno can say what he wants, but I don't think anyone thought she was going to be this good."

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Love it!!As it turns out it appears The Young lady is just living up to her name.. Destiny I suppose

The name Nafeesa is a Muslim baby name. In Muslim the meaning of the name Nafeesa is: Precious. Delicate. Gem.

Nafeesa is an indirect Quranic name for girls. It means valuable, precious, extremely desired.
It’s literal meaning is “something so good and valuable that people compete for it”, derived from the N-F-S root (to breathe, to compete), which is mentioned in many places in the Quran.

Not that I'm a fan of the Quran, just looked up the meaning and thought it interesting and decided to share it with the forum..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom