Napheesa's HS Jersey retired | The Boneyard

Napheesa's HS Jersey retired

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was waiting to get some info on this and thankfully, a good article. by Kellie Stacey. :)

Napheesa Collier gets high school jersey retired ahead of homecoming game against St. Louis

1543923575359.png

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Pheesa!

Does anyone know who Remo Baldi is or was, or why Pheesa's high school gym is named after him/her. The only Remo Baldi I could find on google is a current day Italian composer with no apparent links to Missouri.

Just wondering...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Love it - what a classy young lady. Kudos to Geno for scheduling this and having the whole team there...!

Just another reason to love UCONN and the program so much! :D:D

According to the Article, it was the HS that saw the already scheduled StL game for Napheesa and coordinated the event to coincide with Naphessa's game. A beautiful collaboration.

Collier’s homecoming is a result of something Auriemma has become known for doing — scheduling games in his senior’s home states. Auriemma said he had already scheduled No. 1 UConn’s game against St. Louis for Tuesday before IWA made the announcement that they’d be retiring Collier’s jersey, so IWA set the ceremony for the same week.

“Building it around our whole team being here and our game [Tuesday] night,” Auriemma said. “I thought it was an amazing gesture by the school and the coaching staff here because it allowed Napheesa’s teammates to take part in it so I think that made it even a little more special than it already was.”

There was also a video (not streamed apparently), It would be fantastic if this was somehow put on line

After honoring the basketball program as a whole for being inducted in the Mississippi State Hall of Fame, a video tribute for Collier was played. It included videos from her former high school teammates, coaches and current UConn teammates and coaches. UConn coach Geno Auriemma, and player Katie Lou Samuelson and Kyla Irwin contributed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was waiting to get some info on this and thankfully, a good article. by Kellie Stacey. :)

Napheesa Collier gets high school jersey retired ahead of homecoming game against St. Louis

View attachment 37069

A very nice story. I was hoping to read something on this. A special time and ceremony for Collier and her family that she’ll never forget. What a wonderful way to say thank you for choosing to join our family, helping us to grow and perfect our women’s basketball program, and becoming an ambassador for UConn. No doubt teammates enjoy a senior’s homecoming game almost as much as the seniors do. Especially when ceremonies like this are included. Thank you, and congratulations to Napheesa and her family. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
According to the Article, it was the HS that saw the already scheduled StL game for Napheesa and coordinated the event to coincide with Naphessa's game. A beautiful collaboration.

Collier’s homecoming is a result of something Auriemma has become known for doing — scheduling games in his senior’s home states. Auriemma said he had already scheduled No. 1 UConn’s game against St. Louis for Tuesday before IWA made the announcement that they’d be retiring Collier’s jersey, so IWA set the ceremony for the same week.

“Building it around our whole team being here and our game [Tuesday] night,” Auriemma said. “I thought it was an amazing gesture by the school and the coaching staff here because it allowed Napheesa’s teammates to take part in it so I think that made it even a little more special than it already was.”

There was also a video (not streamed apparently), It would be fantastic if this was somehow put on line

After honoring the basketball program as a whole for being inducted in the Mississippi State Hall of Fame, a video tribute for Collier was played. It included videos from her former high school teammates, coaches and current UConn teammates and coaches. UConn coach Geno Auriemma, and player Katie Lou Samuelson and Kyla Irwin contributed.
Mississippi Hall of Fame?? (Missouri)

Reaction Score
Wonderful event for all involved, I'm sure. CONGRATS to our Pheesa!

Trying to image what it was like for the current Incarnate Word girls basketball team to be standing around in their own high school gym sipping fruit punch from a paper cup and munching supermarket cookies while getting to casually chat with the entire #1 UConn women's basketball team.

1543932002274.png

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Pheesa!
Does anyone know who Remo Baldi is or was, or why Pheesa's high school gym is named after him/her. The only Remo Baldi I could find on google is a current day Italian composer with no apparent links to Missouri.
Just wondering...

Remo Baldi was a local businessman in St. Louis. He owned a marble business. His family donated the money to build the gym in his name.

Reaction Score
Wonderful event for all involved, I'm sure. CONGRATS to our Pheesa!

Trying to image what it was like for the current Incarnate Word girls basketball team to be standing around in their own high school gym sipping fruit punch from a paper cup and munching supermarket cookies while getting to casually chat with the entire #1 UConn women's basketball team.

It was probably great if they were chocolate chip cookies with big chunks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The COOLEST thing !!

p.s. love the cardboard Phee-face cutout lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members