Napheesa Collier stats w/ USA team..!! | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier stats w/ USA team..!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier USA vs canada.JPG

For purely selfish reasons, I would not be upset if Napheesa was not on the final USA Women's team roster at the WorldCup. The risk of injury is always present, especially at foreign tournaments and as the 11th or 12th player, time on the court would be limited. Collier is making that decision hard for USA team officials with two good exhibition games. Here are the stats:

Minutes -
27 in the White vs Red scrimmage (2nd most). 23 in the Canada game (most on the team.)
Rebounds - 9 in the scrimmage (most), 7 versus Canada (2nd highest)
Assist vs T.O. - In the two games, 7 assists vs 2 turnovers. Ratio of 3.5 to 1
Blocks & steals- Total in 2 games = 3 blocks and 4 steals.
Points - 15 combined on 6-16 overall shooting.
Shooting % - 6-13 from inside the 3 pt arc (46%), 0-3 from three, 3-4 from the charity stripe.

Napheesa appears to be focusing on everything but scoring. Her 7 assists are 2nd on the team & her 3 blocks are tied for the lead on the team. Collier has kept the turnovers down and her 4 steals are also tied for the team lead. On a team that will have plenty of scoring, maybe the little things will earn her a spot on the roster. ;)

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been really impressed with how she's meshed with the team. As you said, she's doing what needs to be done, which means she's being coached very well and/or has quickly recognized where she can contribute most. One thing militating in her favor is I think she's the only real three in camp other than EDD. Also I noticed how well she, Wilson, and Williams played together lat night. That is the frontcourt of the future and I think they should do everything they can to make sure those three can continue to play together.

I can understand your concern about the risk of injury, but I think the experience she can gain very much outweighs any risks.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I watched the game last night, and what I noticed (in addition to her rebounds) was her defense. I think that is how she earned all those minutes.

Apparently three years of Geno nagging her about defense is finally paying off. Napheesa should be a complete player at both ends of the court this year for UConn. That should help to replace the defense that Gabby provided last year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"I just feel so much support," Collier said. "I think the whole team came so it was just so cool to see them here cheering for me. It's a long drive. I just love my teammates."

For all our recruits ....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've been really impressed with how she's meshed with the team. As you said, she's doing what needs to be done, which means she's being coached very well and/or has quickly recognized where she can contribute most. One thing militating in her favor is I think she's the only real three in camp other than EDD. Also I noticed how well she, Wilson, and Williams played together lat night. That is the frontcourt of the future and I think they should do everything they can to make sure those three can continue to play together.

I can understand your concern about the risk of injury, but I think the experience she can gain very much outweighs any risks.
Outweighs the risk? Try convincing Prince and Baylor of that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether she makes the team or not, one thing that stood out to me (many did, but what stood out the most) is her comment regarding how much stronger, craftier, smarter, hard working, etc. the pros on the USA National team are, and how she will bring all her experience back to help lead her current teammates. LOVED that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether she makes the team or not, one thing that stood out to me (many did, but what stood out the most) is her comment regarding how much stronger, craftier, smarter, hard working, etc. the pros on the USA National team are, and how she will bring all her experience back to help lead her current teammates. LOVED that.

One thing we know, Collier AT SOME POINT will make the 12 member USA women's basketball roster. That is as certain as an eastern sun rise tomorrow morning. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sept 9, 2018 - UConn's Collier making her case in Team USA bid
USA Basketball team director: 'She held her own'

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- As the United States women's national team faced an eight-point deficit against Canada at the start of the fourth quarter Saturday, coach Dawn Staley had two former WNBA MVP winners and six other WNBA first-round draft picks on the bench.

Napheesa Collier had re-entered the game midway through the third quarter, and with the University of Connecticut senior forward on the floor, the Americans began to finally show some life. So Staley stayed with what was working and she was rewarded for her faith.

Samuelson-Collier-Plum.JPG

Collier was here, there, and everywhere down the stretch, contributing a key rebound basket and two free throws in a game-closing 22-6 run as Team USA defeated Canada 74-68 in an exhibition game before a crowd of 3,258 at Webster Bank Arena.

"When it was so close at the end of the game, I knew that I didn't want to be the one to let my team down," Collier said. "So I wanted to try to make every play, complete every pass where it should be, and do things like that to help us win. I understood where certain people wanted the ball and when they wanted it. We are starting to learn about each other and where we are going to be successful so we tried to use that to our advantage today."

[Story]

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sept 10, 2018 - U.S. Women’s Basketball Team Rallies Once Again In Win Over Japan.

The U.S. women’s basketball team played in another exhibition contest that started slow but ended in a win as Team USA continues to build toward the 2018 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup beginning later this month.

Two nights after coming from behind to beat Canada, the U.S. pulled off another late-game surge to top Japan, 102-87, Monday night at George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

da58d8267290458f9988def5e9fe0629.ashx

A’ja Wilson, who just completed one of the best rookie campaigns in WNBA history with the Las Vegas Aces, once again led the team in scoring with 26 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field and a perfect 6-of-6 mark at the line. She had 15 points and 10 rebounds in Saturday’s win over Canada.

Nneka Ogwumike had a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds while two-time Olympic gold medalist Tina Charles had 12 points, seven rebounds and five assists.

[Article]

Reaction Score
I've been busy preparing to get hammered by Hurricane Florence so I'm not as up on things as I usually am, I know Seatle Storm swept the Wash. DellaDonnes, but why isn't Maya on the US National team ??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've been busy preparing to get hammered by Hurricane Florence so I'm not as up on things as I usually am, I know Seatle Storm swept the Wash. DellaDonnes, but why isn't Maya on the US National team ??
Apparently some non-specified injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom