Napheesa Collier is the WNBA’s next UConn prodigy | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier is the WNBA’s next UConn prodigy

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is the WNBA’s next UConn prodigy
"WNBA teams know well who Collier is and the physicality she brings, though. She played on Dawn Staley’s FIBA World Cup USA team in training camp, scored 22 points, grabbed 20 boards, and dished seven assists in three games. Her best game came in an intersquad scrimmage when she scored 10 points on 5-of-11 shooting with nine rebounds and four assists, matched up against Nneka Ogwumike. She’s pro-ready."
Touches on:
Why fans should be excited for Collier
Why fans should be worried about Collier

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Great write-up! She would be outstanding today in a small-ball lineup at the pro level. In time she’ll be almost as good at the 3 in a more traditional lineup, though her shot will have to keep improving.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't worry about Napheesa at the next level, she'll be fine. Her game will only get better. It's not going to fade or dilute. She's a baller, and loves the game. She's very coachable and wants to get better. She's a gym rat. She will assimilate to her new surroundings. ;) I predict she'll go no lower than 6th tonight. :cool: That was a great write-up by Matt Ellentuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I would compare NC's game to Morgan Tuck. Has Tuck taken the WNBA by storm? I know she has been beset by injuries. Could our BY experts compare and contrast NC with Tuck at the WNBA level?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Morgan hasn't been a star in the W yet, but she earned a World Cup gold medal in 2018!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would compare NC's game to Morgan Tuck. Has Tuck taken the WNBA by storm? I know she has been beset by injuries. Could our BY experts compare and contrast NC with Tuck at the WNBA level?

It depends on who drafts her, and how much playing time she gets her rookie year. For example, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (born Kaleena Jordan Lewis - November 3, 1993), didn't develop at all her first year in the league. Storm head coach Jenny Boucek kept her on the bench. The only time she saw the floor was during warm-ups. I hope Collier plays wherever she goes, I suspect she will.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to Pheesa's ability to consistently knock down outside shots. There were certainly times at CT when she was very good from the arc, and then there were times when she wasn't. The one thing we know about Pheesa is that she is a tremendous worker. No more classes, She probably won't be playing for a team where she has to play the whole game, post up every time on offense and guard someone who is 3" taller. Pheesa will have lots of time to get very good at shooting the ball, and that will make her a great WNBA player.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to four things; confidence, right coach, right team, and right system.

We all know that she can play. The big question will be when she goes into training camp and has to battle for a roster and playing spot. Naphessa has to have that confidence in her ability out there. Up next, the right coach and system. Not every coach sees a player the same way or plays the system. The beauty of coach Geno and his coaching staff is, they have a system in which players are allowed to play multiple positions which will showcase their skills better. Hopefully she goes to a team with the right coach and system that fits her skill set. Lastly, team. The right team is huge! Which team has a shoot first point guard? Which team has a pass first point guard? Teams that have bad chemistry and sub-par culture, impacts everyone. So good luck, Naphessa (and Lou). Best wishes to all future WNBA players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Don't worry about Napheesa at the next level, she'll be fine. Her game will only get better. It's not going to fade or dilute. She's a baller, and loves the game. She's very coachable and wants to get better. She's a gym rat. She will assimilate to her new surroundings. ;)I predict she'll go no lower than 6th tonight. :cool: That was a great write-up by Matt Ellentuck.

I called it. ;) Collier is too talented to go any lower than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I want to see Pheesa learn now to modulate her play better during games. She certainly does have that non-stop motor that Geno and others rave about. But in games where she comes out cold for whatever reason, be it that she's having an off day, or facing particularly tough defensive matchups, she never really seems able to kick it up a notch and find another gear. Same thing about raising her level of play late in a tough game where that's what's needed to get her team the win. If she can figure out ways to do those things, then the sky's the limit for Queen Phee. (And I'm not talking Chicago Sky. :p)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member