Napheesa and foul trouble....just the facts..!! | The Boneyard

Napheesa and foul trouble....just the facts..!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs Texas 2.jpeg

I keep hearing that Napheesa Collier "fouls too much" and "was in constant foul trouble" last season. It is almost as if repeating something over and over, somehow makes it true. Since some people are too busy/lazy to research the facts, here they are...

1. Collier did lead the team in fouls last season, with 81 fouls in 37 games. That is 2.1 fouls per game.
2. Napheesa also led the team in rebounds (336) and blocked shots (77). ;)
3. The last UConn player at the top in rebounds, blocks and fouls was Stewie in 2014-15. Apparently, those kinds of stats are related. :cool:
4. Collier fouled out of 4 games (LSU, Maryland, S Car. and UCLA) UConn won those four games by a combined 55 points. Pheesa averaged 16.5 pts in those games vs 20.4 in all games.
5. Pheesa also had four games with 0 fouls. And, 11 games with only one foul. :p In 78% of her games, Collier had 3 or fewer fouls.
6. The leading scorer for the Huskies was Napheesa with 754 points. Most of those baskets were scored in close to the rim.
7. Collier was fouled and sent to the free throw line more than any other player. (137 attempts)
8. The highest season foul total in the last 4 years was Stef Dolson with 92 in 2013-14.
9. After fouling out in two of the first 12 games last year, Napheesa only fouled out of 2 in the final 25.
10. In the four games she departed with 5 fouls, Collier played 28, 26, 33 and 36 minutes. That 30.7 minute per game average is higher than her season average of 30.2 minutes per game. :)

Yes, Napheesa led the team in fouls. She also led the team in scoring average, rebounds, free throws, blocks, made baskets and points. She played more minutes last season (1,117) than anyone not named Katie Lou (1,177). Most importantly, she played down low, in the lane, where many players were bigger and heavier. The thought that she fouled "too much" or was "always in foul trouble" is just plain wrong. She is a physical player fighting among the trees for points, rebounds and blocks. Look for her fouls this season to go way down. :)

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 24019

I keep hearing that Napheesa Collier is "fouls too much" and "was in constant foul trouble" last season. It is almost as if repeating something over and over, somehow makes it true. Since some people are too busy/lazy to research the facts, here they are...

1. Collier did lead the team in fouls last season, with 81 fouls in 37 games. That is 2.1 fouls per game.
3. The last UConn player at the top in rebounds, blocks and fouls was Stewie in 2014-15. Apparently, those kinds of stats are related. :cool:
4. Collier fouled out of 4 games (LSU, Maryland, S Car. and UCLA) UConn won those four games by a combined 55 points. Pheesa averaged 16.5 pts in those games vs 20.4 in all games.
5. Pheesa also had four games with 0 fouls. And, 11 games with only one foul. :p In 78% of her games, Collier had 3 or fewer fouls.
6. The leading scorer for the Huskies was Napheesa with 754 points. Most of those baskets were scored in close to the rim.
7. Collier was fouled and sent to the free throw line more than any other player. (137 attempts)
8. The highest season foul total in the last 4 years was Stef Dolson with 92 in 2013-14.
9. After fouling out in two of the first 12 games last year, Napheesa only fouled out of 2 in the final 25.
10. In the four games she departed with 5 fouls, Collier played 28, 26, 33 and 36 minutes. That 30.7 minute per game average is higher than her season average of 30.2 minutes per game. :)

Yes, Napheesa led the team in fouls. She also led the team in scoring average, rebounds, free throws, blocks, made baskets and points. She played more minutes last season (1,117) than anyone not named Katie Lou (1,177). Most importantly, she played down low, in the lane, where many players were bigger and heavier. The thought that she fouled "too much" or was "always in foul trouble" is just plain wrong. She is a physical player fighting among the trees for points, rebounds and blocks. Look for her fouls this season to go way down. :)

Go Huskies..!!

Thank you Dave for your detailed research, and for sharing. Your research results should clear up some questions some had regarding Collier.

Reaction Score
Thanks David, excellent analysis.
Last season we basically had only 5 starters + 2 benches (Crystal, Natalie) playing the game. We played good defense and offense although lost the last game at OT. I am very thankful to all the players. Just ignore the idiot who doesn't even know what he was talking.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is smart and doesn't get banged around too much. What she knows how to do is position herself. Gabby got banged around more than Napheesa. She was guarding the opposing team's center, usually the biggest player on the floor. Gabby was and is fearless.

Reaction Score
View attachment 24019

I keep hearing that Napheesa Collier "fouls too much" and "was in constant foul trouble" last season. It is almost as if repeating something over and over, somehow makes it true. Since some people are too busy/lazy to research the facts, here they are...

Go Huskies..!!

Last year was an anomaly re fouls because the key players were so conscious of NOT fouling. They just couldn't foul out because there was no one to replace them. How many times did you see a UConn players step away from a defensive play just to avoid a foul? Gabby especially had to play with caution because she tended to ring up fouls regularly. With more depth (not to mention some competition), we'll probably see everyone take more chances--and thus foul more. Not being able to chance a foul affects a team's aggression, and nobody likes aggression better than Geno (though he hates fouling!). So: expect upgrades on an already terrific defense (and perhaps a few more fouls).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No doubt that Pheesa strong play inside, as a multi-talented, but undersized forward lead to many of the fouls that Pheesa picked up, holding her own with much bigger opponents. But on far too many occasions, Pheesa got called for careless reach-in fouls that were often out on the floor where they were unnecessary . I don't think it's a big deal, but I do think that it's an area of the game that Geno will demand that Pheesa improve.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Napheesa is smart and doesn't get banged around too much. What she knows how to do is position herself. Gabby got banged around more than Napheesa. She was guarding the opposing team's center, usually the biggest player on the floor. Gabby was and is fearless.

To piggyback on your comment if I may...............................It's been well documented and understood that because of UConn's lack of height, Napheesa and Gabby were both asked to guard bigger and heavier players throughout the season. They did so without fear, trepidation or complaint. The majority of the time, their efforts were successful. At 6'1", for Collier to lead the team in rebounds AND blocks is remarkable. The coaches no doubt looked to them to be team leaders, and depended on them heavily all year. Two of the hardest things to do in sports is hit a baseball (a round object with another round object), and guard a player bigger than you without occasionally fouling them.

They delivered. Leading the team to the final four, while also being selected as 1st team All-Americans. It's this reporter's opinion that Collier and Williams exemplified all of the attributes that any coach would want and look for in a leader. They were good teammates, good players, and great leaders. Good leaders leads from out in front, which they did. Because of the trials and tribulations they experienced (sometimes almost to the point of exhaustion), and the things the staff asked of them, they BOTH enjoyed growing pains on and off the court.

Even though we know there's still room for improvement, I cannot help but feel a strong sense of gratitude and appreciation for what they gave to program, the staff and their teammates. I'm going to borrow Carnac's turban for a brief moment and tip it to both of them for a job well done.

Thank you ladies. You guys are special for lots of reasons. :cool:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Napheesa is an incredible player and it sounds like she is putting the work in to be even better this year.

And David, that is a great analysis. I agree with your observations and conclusions.

As you note, her total number of fouls was not unreasonable. However, my impression was that many of them were "ticky tack" fouls, most notably reach-in fouls when she was guarding the lane against a penetrator who had beaten her defender off the dribble. At times she would get all ball or air, but the ref - peering through a cluster of players - would reflexively blow the whistle. I am more confident in Pheese to make that play than I am in the referee to call it correctly. So, I would like to see Pheese try to avoid those kinds of fouls in 2017-2018, since the refs tend to call that a foul even when it is not.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
To piggyback on your comment if I may......It's been well documented and understood that because of UConn's lack of height, Napheesa and Gabby were both asked to guard bigger and heavier players throughout the season. They did so without fear, trepidation or complaint. The majority of the time, their efforts were successful. At 6'1", for Collier to lead the team in rebounds AND blocks is remarkable. The coaches no doubt looked to them to be team leaders, and depended on them heavily all year. Two of the hardest things to do in sports is hit a baseball (a round object with another round object), and guard a player bigger than you without occasionally fouling them.

They delivered. Leading the team to the final four, while also being selected as 1st team All-Americans. It's this reporter's opinion that Collier and Williams exemplified all of the attributes that any coach would want and look for in a leader. They were good teammates, good players, and great leaders. Good leaders leads from out in front, which they did. Because of the trials and tribulations they experienced (sometimes almost to the point of exhaustion), and the things the staff asked of them, they BOTH enjoyed growing pains on and off the court.

Even though we know there's still room for improvement, I cannot help but feel a strong sense of gratitude and appreciation for what they gave to program, the staff and their teammates. I'm going to borrow Carnac's turban for a brief moment and tip it to both of them for a job well done.

Thank you ladies. You guys are special for lots of reasons. :cool:

Congrats an EXCEPTIONAL Post !!!!

Reaction Score
Collier fouled out of 4 games (LSU, Maryland, S Car. and UCLA)

I'm as big a fan of Pheese as anyone. But stats don't reveal everything; she did foul out of two of our biggest games, because of her assignments against bigger opponents inside. I see this disappearing this year with the likes of Azura and Batouly around the basket.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
David - excellent post! This should put to rest the "foul trouble" syndrome.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
fouls in BIG games are magnified more than against Cincinatti

and UConn players do get away with a lot of stuff compared to "regular" teams.

I cringe at times when I see some reaching or over-the-back stuff but they play on

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@ DavidinNaples I share your hope that, Napheesa fouls this season will go way down, is correct. This is UCONN & anywhere else we would not be talking about this. IMO Napheesa needs to make a significant leap in not fouling because she is way too valuable to the team. Consider:

1. Napheesa also led the team in fouls as a freshmen with 63 fouls. She was only 7th in minutes played on the team and her defense was not relegated to banging in the post since UCONN had Morgan, Stewie & Natalie.

2. That Napheesa only fouled out of 4 games does not convey the full impact of foul trouble. Take @ND for example that game did not become competitive (ND actually took a lead) until Napheesa was on the bench in foul trouble.

3. Fouling out of 4 games might not seem like a lot but at UCONN it is (See graphic below). 4 FO’s by Napheesa last year is more than the UCONN team total for the prior two season combined. 4 FO’s would also equal a team high going back to the 2010-11 season in which there were 5 total.

4. Stef Dolson led UCONN in PF in 3 of her four years in a UCONN uniform but she only fouled out of 3 games in 4 years, Napheesa has fouled out of 4 games in one season.

5. Napheesa is not the only undersized UCONN post player. Over the past two season Gabby has spent twice as many minutes defending in the post as Napheesa. Gabby next FO will be her first.
In a year in which Napheesa was an AA this is the equivalent of pointing out the mole on Cindy Crawford face. Since this is UCONN there is a higher standard where playing defense without fouling is greatly emphasized & this is an area where Napheesa needs to improve. I have no doubt that she will.

upload_2017-8-8_10-57-20.gif

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
No arguments from me. Naphessa was my player of the year, last year.. And I'm expecting more of the same this year...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@ DavidinNaples I share your hope that, Napheesa fouls this season will go way down, is correct. This is UCONN & anywhere else we would not be talking about this. IMO Napheesa needs to make a significant leap in not fouling because she is way too valuable to the team. Consider:

1. Napheesa also led the team in fouls as a freshmen with 63 fouls. She was only 7th in minutes played on the team and her defense was not relegated to banging in the post since UCONN had Morgan, Stewie & Natalie.

2. That Napheesa only fouled out of 4 games does not convey the full impact of foul trouble. Take @ND for example that game did not become competitive (ND actually took a lead) until Napheesa was on the bench in foul trouble.

3. Fouling out of 4 games might not seem like a lot but at UCONN it is (See graphic below). 4 FO’s by Napheesa last year is more than the UCONN team total for the prior two season combined. 4 FO’s would also equal a team high going back to the 2010-11 season in which there were 5 total.

4. Stef Dolson led UCONN in PF in 3 of her four years in a UCONN uniform but she only fouled out of 3 games in 4 years, Napheesa has fouled out of 4 games in one season.

5. Napheesa is not the only undersized UCONN post player. Over the past two season Gabby has spent twice as many minutes defending in the post as Napheesa. Gabby next FO will be her first.
In a year in which Napheesa was an AA this is the equivalent of pointing out the mole on Cindy Crawford face. Since this is UCONN there is a higher standard where playing defense without fouling is greatly emphasized & this is an area where Napheesa needs to improve. I have no doubt that she will.

View attachment 24036
To add on to this perspective, yes, UConn won all but the last game so while the appearance (perspective) of her fouls would appear benign, the real question is how adversely did it affect the games like ND or the final game against MSU and Tera McGowan? The added depth should help and Pheesa does need to monitor the "stupid" fouls as has been her inkling. Please do not misread my post as saying she has foul issues, the point is to echo Coco that it seems to come at in opportune times or when compared to "the established UConn way".

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Coco,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I think we basically agree, but I would add a bit more "color" to your points...
1. Yes, Pheesa led the team in fouls as a freshman with 63. (Gabby was right behind with 60.) Given she played 653 minutes, that comes out to a foul every 10.3 minutes on the court. Last year, her 81 fouls in 1,117 minutes worked out to a foul every 13.8 minutes. Great improvement...!
2. Notre Dame is, at best, only 25% Napheesa's fault. ;) Geno benched her the whole 2nd period with 2 fouls. During that period, UConn missed 13 shots, had 5 turnovers and committed 4 fouls. :rolleyes: ND went from down 11 to up 2. To Collier's credit, she played almost the whole 2nd half and had only 1 more foul.
3. Not many recent UConn teams had the lack of depth that last season's team had. Fouling out of 4 games is unusual, but so was the lack of a viable sub for Napheesa, who could match the offense and defense she brought to the court. It's worth noting she finished four games with 4 fouls, without picking up her 5th. :cool:
4. Geno could afford to take Stef out with 3 or 4 fouls. (Kiah Stokes, Morgan, Stewie....) I think Geno hesitated to sub out Collier against South Carolina and UCLA where she played 33 and 36 minutes.
5. Agree, Gabby was great on defense. Her 66 fouls was 2nd on the team. She had more steals than Pheesa (100 vs 64), but fewer blocks (77 vs 52). I think she is a little different type of defender than Collier.

We agree with more bench depth and smarter play, Napheesa will have less fouls this season and maybe no foul outs..!! :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I think we basically agree, but I would add a bit more "color" to your points...
1. Yes, Pheesa led the team in fouls as a freshman with 63. (Gabby was right behind with 60.) Given she played 653 minutes, that comes out to a foul every 10.3 minutes on the court. Last year, her 81 fouls in 1,117 minutes worked out to a foul every 13.8 minutes. Great improvement...!
2. Notre Dame is, at best, only 25% Napheesa's fault. ;) Geno benched her the whole 2nd period with 2 fouls. During that period, UConn missed 13 shots, had 5 turnovers and committed 4 fouls. :rolleyes: ND went from down 11 to up 2. To Collier's credit, she played almost the whole 2nd half and had only 1 more foul.
3. Not many recent UConn teams had the lack of depth that last season's team had. Fouling out of 4 games is unusual, but so was the lack of a viable sub for Napheesa, who could match the offense and defense she brought to the court. It's worth noting she finished four games with 4 fouls, without picking up her 5th. :cool:
4. Geno could afford to take Stef out with 3 or 4 fouls. (Kiah Stokes, Morgan, Stewie....) I think Geno hesitated to sub out Collier against South Carolina and UCLA where she played 33 and 36 minutes.
5. Agree, Gabby was great on defense. Her 66 fouls was 2nd on the team. She had more steals than Pheesa (100 vs 64), but fewer blocks (77 vs 52). I think she is a little different type of defender than Collier.

We agree with more bench depth and smarter play, Napheesa will have less fouls this season and maybe no foul outs..!! :)
I'm in total agreements on all points and counter points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting points. I think it's false to think that Pheesa was constantly in foul trouble. However, her foul trouble did cost us. In the 4 games in which she fouled out, we won by about 14 ppg. In the other games, we won by about 30 ppg (admittedly some were against cupcakes when Pheesa played only limited minutes). Her foul trouble against Tulane almost cost us the game, because she was unstoppable and everyone else was cold. We played much better with her on the floor, except maybe against Mississippi State, when she had a rare bad game (think Diana against N.D. as a freshman).

My biggest concern and annoyance was when Pheesa and/or Gabby picked up early fouls on the offensive end. Over the course of the season, both got better at reading the defense and pulling up or otherwise avoiding contact. Gabby started the regular season by getting in foul trouble, then righted the ship. This year's team should have a larger margin for error.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Upon Collier's departure (graduation) in 2019, I could not help but wonder who is she going to "pass the baton" to as the team's leading shot blocker and rebounder? Will it be Gordon , Coombs, or her namesake Charli Collier?
Which one of these ladies is going to step up?

Carnac

Reaction Score
EDIT.........At 5'8", Coombs won't be blocking many shots. I'll substitute Walker for Coombs in my query:
Upon Collier's departure (graduation) in 2019, I could not help but wonder who is she going to "pass the baton" to as the team's leading shot blocker and rebounder? Will it be Gordon , Walker or her namesake Charli Collier?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Upon Collier's departure (graduation) in 2019, I could not help but wonder who is she going to "pass the baton" to as the team's leading shot blocker and rebounder? Will it be Gordon , Coombs, or her namesake Charli Collier?
Shot blocking and rebounding? I look to sophomore Charli Collier.

Reaction Score

Collier/Boston/Brunelle .... hopefully

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
David - fun thread, but I tend to agree with Coco on the importance of timing over gross number of fouls. No question that both Napheesa and Gabby were put in tough situations last year playing post defense against much taller/bigger opponents and some of the fouling was a direct result of that, but ... I do think Napheesa does need to improve her non-fouling defense and also cut down on some of her offensive fouls. Not a big issue, and something that is a concern for lots of players, so not an unique problem either.

Picking up two quick fouls in the first quarter can cost a player critical court time even if they end up not picking up another foul for the game. And seeing as Uconn won all but the last game last year pointing out that Uconn won the games she fouled out in isn't all that meaningful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom