OT: - Nanci Griffith | The Boneyard

OT: Nanci Griffith

Reaction Score
I will miss Nancy Griffith just as much as I miss her ex-husband and sometime collaborator Eric Taylor.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just heard that Nanci Griffith has died, she was such a solid, superb artist.

This is a song she did with John Stewart I always loved:

I missed out on her as an artist. CBS This Morning did a piece on her last weekend. She reminded me of Suzanne Vega. I will be buying her music soon.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Back in the late 80's, I think this was the very first song I ever heard from her, the very delightful "Love at the Five and Dime":

That is a wonderful song in the best tradition of country music storytelling. The "dance a little closer .." chorus is a stroke of genius. Nanci allowed Kathy Mattea to record the song in 1986 and it launched her fine career.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the true folk/country artists with a wonderful voice. RIP Nanci.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I missed out on her as an artist. CBS This Morning did a piece on her last weekend. She reminded me of Suzanne Vega. I will be buying her music soon.
There was a handful of artists who strummed through Passim in the early 80's, all worth a listen to:
Nanci Griffith
Suzanne Vega
Patty Larkin - who never had the huge breakthrough I think she deserves. Her guitar work is head and shoulders above all...and her lyrics? Stunning.
Claudia Schmidt
Shawn Colvin
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Sheryl Crow
Tracy Chapman....

Reaction Score
There was a handful of artists who strummed through Passim in the early 80's, all worth a listen to:
Nanci Griffith
Suzanne Vega
Patty Larkin - who never had the huge breakthrough I think she deserves. Her guitar work is head and shoulders above all...and her lyrics? Stunning.
Claudia Schmidt
Shawn Colvin
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Sheryl Crow
Tracy Chapman....
Agree on all of those (Claudia Schmidt being the least well-known, but no less awesome)-- plus I'd add Cheryl Wheeler.

Reaction Score
Agree on all of those (Claudia Schmidt being the least well-known, but no less awesome)-- plus I'd add Cheryl Wheeler.

Agreed -and there was another Wheeler too - Erica. She did a song called "Rivers" that was just beautiful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom