Naming rights for XL Center expire; venue likely to change name in 2025. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Naming rights for XL Center expire; venue likely to change name in 2025.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Stupid lack of awareness on my part.... I came out to LA in 1983 for college and for at least a decade, I would hear the name The Great Western Forum for the Lakers home and thought it referred to a Great Forum on the West coast kind of like Madison Square Garden. It finally dawned on me it was named after Great Western Bank.

Reaction Score
The Basketball Capital Center

Dr Evil GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stupid lack of awareness on my part.... I came out to LA in 1983 for college and for at least a decade, I would hear the name The Great Western Forum for the Lakers home and thought it referred to a Great Forum on the West coast kind of like Madison Square Garden. It finally dawned on me it was named after Great Western Bank.

I was today year's old when I learned that.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else remember back in the day sports center used to refer to it as the “civic center mall”?
They called it The Mall. A lot of people didn’t know why they called it that and didn’t think anything of it. Lots of arenas have nicknames and in the old days a mall was an outdoor area with shops around it, which seems like a good place for an arena.

The arena having a mall and restaurants was actually pretty cool. I never understood why anyone thought it was weird. It was busy, vibrant and awesome for the first 15-20 years.

Reaction Score
@CL82 calling it the Excel Center was probably the last straw. Who wants to pay a lot of money for naming rights when people still have no idea what XL is? :)
I used to work at the company that sponsored / got the naming rights for the XL center. XL Catlin. Knew nothing about the deal, but clearly a lot of people don’t associate the company with the deal so not surprised the deal wasn’t renewed. Even if the deal is ultimately renewed down the line, I would still expect the name to change, given a huge insurer (AXA) bought out XL Catlin a few years ago (the two are now called AXA XL fyi).

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone could prove me wrong, but I've never understood how selling off/changing the name of your home venue makes business sense for any school/franchise. That's precious currency for your brand that you're just giving away.

(It probably matters less in UConn's case since they're split between the two venues anyway)
You're literally not just giving away though, at least not in the implied context of "just giving it away for free".

The idea is you do more with the money to grow your brand than whatever you lose by losing the authenticity of the name.

Reaction Score
I will look back fondly at the XL era. 5 Final Fours. 4 National Championships. It even hosted a conference championship tournament.
And NCAA Tournament games!

Reaction Score
I hope one of the local big insurance companies buys the rights…Traveler’s Center, Aetna Center, The Hartford Center, United Heathcare Center, Cigna Center. Maybe even Pratt Center or United Technologies Center. Or how about ESPN steps up? ESPN Center or Sports Center lol!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Can't we suck up a little and call it the Big12 Center for a year? Kidding off course.

Reaction Score
I hope one of the local big insurance companies buys the rights…Traveler’s Center, Aetna Center, The Hartford Center, United Heathcare Center, Cigna Center. Maybe even Pratt Center or United Technologies Center. Or how about ESPN steps up? ESPN Center or Sports Center lol!
Speedy Car Wash Center

Reaction Score
ESPN Center? That’s funny. After all they do to help the state university (nothing) in the state that gives them tax breaks to stay here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

UTC doesn't exist.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom