Names on unis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Names on unis

Reaction Score
If more people can identify them the more they can connect with the team and the players. It would help build the brand.
@Kat Welcome to The Yard. Do understand Dogs may not always agree with Kats. ;)
I just ran with what @HuskyNan said above a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend in senior status complaining about the same thing, he does not use the computer. I printed him a roster in senior friendly font, problem solved.
No attack I respect your take on marketing but..... How did Paige get the Gatorade money without her name on the uni?

Reaction Score
Kat come on now! Are you new to UConn WBB?
Do you really think the UConn brand needs that kind of help? People don't know that Bueckers, for instance, or Fudd play for UConn? Really?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If more people can identify them the more they can connect with the team and the players. It would help build the brand.
Sorry but if you are a fan of WCBB, you are in one of 2 categories (well, maybe 90% of WCBB fans): 1) you're a fan of UConn or 2) you probably dislike UConn.
UConn WBB doesn't need Madison Avenue to help get new fans.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
According to the feline marketing theory, Harley Davidson should add a recoded message to its bike growl: “I'm a hog. I'm a Harley.”

I kinda like the sound without the extra branding.

Reaction Score
Do you really think the UConn brand needs that kind of help? People don't know that Bueckers, for instance, or Fudd play for UConn? Really?
Don’t think your response was for me.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t aware the brand needed building.

Reaction Score
No names. Never. Not ever. UConn does things differently. Period. In truth, I'm also for a moment of silence by these announcers that lasts all game.
I am so in favor of UConn's tradition of not having players' names on uniforms. This society is too self-engaged, full of me-isms. Selfies, Tik-Tok , Me, me, me... I can only imagine how difficult it must be to teach young women who have been inundated with this, a team concept...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A couple of observations from a long time fan who also likes the fact only the school name is on the jersey.
1. You can always use new and more fans so yes, keep building the brand, especially by winning!
2. Marketing absolutely is what the school wants to do and wants to raise more revenue, especially when its Athletic Department is in the red.

Here’s a compromise, sell the jerseys to the fans with them names on the, like the Yankees do. Then the fans can buy the jerseys from the era they loved and match them with the other eras- 3 “Taurasi”; 3 “Tuck”, 3 “Edwards”!

Reaction Score
Names on uniforms, how horrible. What’s next cutting down the nets for just the conference tourney championship or reaching the final four, sacrileges!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Totally get this conversation, and it is a choice... but I do remember when the then-VP attended the women's final (UConn/Stanford?) and his daughter joined him. Not a fan, she did ask, "Who's # fillintheblank) Names are for newbies to the game. Which is not a BAD thing. Maybe NOT having them makes the newbie do some work? :) Google, program or listen to the in-game announcer make the call.

Reaction Score
To hear GA describe the facilities, offices etc. I'm not sure if they even had matching uniforms back then.
The funniest story I heard about that era was CD had an argument with someone in authority (might have been GA) about the sandwiches in the bag lunches they were going to take on the bus for their road game. Don't remember the details but I remember laughing about it for days.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Names? Are you saying names? There are no names in UConn women’s basketball. (With apologies to Tom Hanks.)
Why are you talking about my brother? I don't remember that quote at all!:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just to be clear. Yankee fan. No names. Rutgers fan. No names (for the women, don't know about the men). Many teams, no names. Volleyball fan, most if not all volleyball unis do not have names.

It does not, however, somehow equate to a superior moral position - "the name on the front is the only one that matters"; "we are a team", etc. which becomes, "they are playing for the name on the back" and worse in some folks eyes. I have heard it said. Even by an insufferable Rutgers fan about a Tennessee star, Catchings I think.

It is a choice. Many a team has played very well, and not for individual glory, and had their names on the back of their jersey. I don't really mind it, because I watch a lot of basketball and I don't do well with knowing who players are (on Rutgers, because I only saw them on TV and on random teams I only see a couple of times, I do know my Arizona Wildcats, don't even need the number). So I have often found myself peeking for the name, or, in the arena, constantly checking who opponents players are on the printed roster.

UConn, incidentally, is a bit of a special case as most of your players are recognizable because they are well marketed and / or star players that get named frequently on a broadcast. The same applies to many All Americans like Clark and Boston and such, but don't ask me to identify their team-mates without a roster or name on the jersey.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was watching the game with Mercer yesterday with a friend who was not familiar with the UConn team. He kept asking me to identify a player as the announcers (CBS) would never mention who was doing what. It seemed that they were too busy telling their stories rather than provide a basic play-by-play. This has occurred more than once, the FOX Sports broadcasters would do this, too. I think it would help if the players had their names on their jerseys.
There is this thing that I find repulsive with women's basketball coverage on TV, not SNY, that the announcers talk and talk and talk about everything except the game. If that happened in the men's games, they would be off the air in one game. It's really sexist, as though they are implicitly stating that the women's games are not interesting enough so we have to add to it. They frequently make wrong calls, don't give you important information like the number of fouls, don't know the players, and are just annoying background noise. I don't know how it changes. They don't need names on the jerseys, they should know the players, it's their job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom