Naismith High School Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted previously,

Five finalists for the Naismith High School Player of the Year award per ESPN:

Linnae Harper, Whitney Young (Chicago, Ill.),
Jewell Loyd of Skokie, Ill (Notre Dame)
Moriah Jefferson of Glenn Heights, Texas (UConn)
Breanna Stewart of Syracuse N.Y. (UConn)
Morgan Tuck of Bolingbrook, Ill. (UConn)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
60% chance that UCONN will have the Naismith HS Player of the year on the roster next season!!! That's pretty good!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck is putting pressure on Hoopgurlz to upgrade her ranking.

sTu

Reaction Score
If they dont then they are morons. Morgan is playing like she's top 5 easily

This post has nada to do with Morgan.

I am hoping you have seen Morgan play multiple times this year and as well as many other top talented h.s. players? Calling folks who have seen players multiple times and think differently than you as "morons"..........

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This post has nada to do with Morgan.

I am hoping you have seen Morgan play multiple times this year and as well as many other top talented h.s. players? Calling folks who have seen players multiple times and think differently than you as "morons"..........
HoopGurlz has given no valid reason for Morgan being ranked as low as she is. In fact, they said explicitly that she was headed for a top three ranking before suffering an ACL injury...an ACL injury that occurred more than 2.5 years ago and that she appears to have recovered from completely. That is just a bizarre explanation.

With all due respect to HoopGurlz, who provides a relatively thankless and valuable service, I think you're dramatically overestimating their resources and scope of coverage. For instance, if you look at Morgan's profile, there is no evidence that they've evaluated her since December 2010. Since then, she's won a state title and looked damn good doing it, made the U19 team, been an absolute monster this season, and was just named a finalist for an award that otheriwse includes three girls ranked in their top five for 2012 and the #6 ranked player for 2013. The #15 player receiving this kind of recognition seems like a significant outlier. I do think they have her somewhat undervalued. I don't think I especially care, however.

Do agree that the "morons" comment was hyperbolic.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont get all this ranking/rating crap... folks dont like how they do it but keep depend on them as a reference about players. strange

you dont like how they cut you hair, complain (bit** & moan) but you continue to go back to them.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I am confused as to how posters evaluate players they have never seen play.

So, thanks to the folks at HG, who have.

JS

Reaction Score
We have only 3 of the finalists. What happened? :)
I have the inside story.

After naming the three UConn players-to-be, the Atlanta Tipoff Club board was in a quandary. They deliberated through dinner and far into the evening, having been tipped off that if they weren't careful they could end up being classified by the NCAA as UConn boosters.

Objectively, the next two leading candidates on their list were non-seniors Diamond DeShields, on the ground that she's fabulous, and Saniya Chong, on the ground that she's fabulous too and would have the added benefit of showing they don't just go by publicity.

By quirk of fate, a plurality of selectors this year was from Illinois. As the board deliberated far into the night, the Illinoisans finally said, "You've got only one from our state. Select a couple more and the pizza's on us." The Board Chair said "Throw in the beer, and you can have Loyd and Harper."

And thus it was done. You can take it from me. Word of honor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I dont get all this ranking/rating crap... folks dont like how they do it but keep depend on them as a reference about players. strange

you dont like how they cut you hair, complain (bit** & moan) but you continue to go back to them.
Pretty much the only barber in town.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I've watched Morgan play in multiple settings (on TV and through streaming video, mind you, but I have seen her). Most of the exposure I've had to her is subsequent to the last posted HoopGurlz evaluation of her. I believe strongly she is better than #15 in her class. I say that not as a critique of HG so much as something fans of UConn should be excited about. As in be really excited and happy that she's headed to Storrs.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Alex...don't you need to match her up with those she moves ahead of?

on edit

I actually agree with you, but hope is my staff in this walk, not real evaluative experience.

Reaction Score
I have the inside story.

After naming the three UConn players-to-be, the Atlanta Tipoff Club board was in a quandary. They deliberated through dinner and far into the evening, having been tipped off that if they weren't careful they could end up being classified by the NCAA as UConn boosters.

Objectively, the next two leading candidates on their list were non-seniors Diamond DeShields, on the ground that she's fabulous, and Saniya Chong, on the ground that she's fabulous too and would have the added benefit of showing they don't just go by publicity.

By quirk of fate, a plurality of selectors this year was from Illinois. As the board deliberated far into the night, the Illinoisans finally said, "You've got only one from our state. Select a couple more and the pizza's on us." The Board Chair said "Throw in the beer, and you can have Loyd and Harper."

And thus it was done. You can take it from me. Word of honor.
But, Connecticut has better pizza.
Signed,
Pepe & Sally

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alex...don't you need to match her up with those she moves ahead of?
I haven't had an opportunity to watch all of them, but I have seen at least some of Alyson Beebe, Imani Stafford, Malina Howard, and Jordan Adams. All fine players who will add value to their teams of choice, but I wouldn't trade any of them for Morgan. Alexis Jones is ubertalented, and you could certainly make the case for her being ahead of Morgan (possibly more polished as a PG than Moriah at this point too, for that matter, but Moriah is such an electric athlete that I understand the HG rating). I just like Morgan as a physical specimen and a leader, and she has terrific ball skills and shooting range for someone who can also develop into a force inside as well. Ultimately, HG has her as a five-star player with a "96" rating, so it's not like their opinion and mine is especially far off.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ozzie, while I see what you are saying, I think posters can make an informed and educated comment about where Tuck should be ranked. There are enough quotes from experts that you can build a case from.

1. She was rated best in her class as a freshman prior to her injury.
2. She is 2.5 years past that injury. I don't think they hold Sue Birds injury against her still (ok, over the top, but that's me).
3. She was on the USA team for her age group and outperformed some older players (Burdick) most of the time.
4. She has won consecutive state championships and this year is playing better than ever based on her stats and who she has played against.
5. She is on the final 5 of the Naismith POY list.

It's pretty clear based on the evidence at hand and more that she is much better than the 15th rated recruit in her class. Doens't make Hoopgurlz morons, just late to the party. I'd be shocked if she isn't in the top 10 at their next evaluation. And I'll predict that won't be good enough for some posters.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Geno and CD could care less where Tuck is ranked by HG. They're just happy she is enroute to Storrs.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Facts only get in the way of a per-conceived opinion.

Reaction Score
do it yourself, then. ;)

Yeah, but it might turn out like THIS:

moe-howard-7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads