Naismith Finalists Announced | The Boneyard

Naismith Finalists Announced

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Half are Huskys but I am pretty sure the preordained one will be the winner even though the odds are in favor of it being a Husky.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
KLS and Wilson each won the HS Naismith award twice. In comparison, Stewie only won once (though she won the college Naismith 3 times).

However you slice it, KLS is already a rarefied Husky.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I would love Gabby to win this award. It would be heavily deserved and an incredible achievement considering where she was as a freshman and the exponential way of her growth as a player and a person.

Then, next year we can celebrate another winner in KLS.

Wilson may get this award, and it will be justified. But come on....who in basketball (men or woman) does what Gabby does? There isn't anyone. Really incredible her worth on this team.

Reaction Score
A couple of Observations about this announcement:
1. FANTASTIC to see Lou and Gabby among the 4 Finalists...IRC, this is the second year in a row that UConn has had 2 Finalists...presumably the Four best players in WCBB.
1a. Unfortunately it is another log on the fire for those who claim "UConn gets all the best players." Yes...we know, Lou was the #1 player in her class... got it...And, IMHO, she is clearly worthy of this award! BUT, WE Husky Fans know Gabby was coming off 2 knee injuries before she came to UConn... that she was a Guard in HS... and we've seen the issues she has with her outside shots. UConn Coaching Staff saw that Gabby was an Athlete...and they had the vision to see how she could be transformed into what she is now. I admit I don't know how many other Colleges offered Gabby a scholarship, but one must wonder how other Coaches would have made use of the skills she brings to the table...would Gabby have blossomed as she has at UConn...to the point she too is worthy of this Award!

2. Lou and Aja are on both Wade and Naismith Award finalist lists.... with Gabby and Asia on Naismith replacing Sabrina and Kelsey from Wade finalist lists. Clearly there are SIX AAs among these ladies on these two lists. I wonder which one slides down to 2nd Team on those lists with 5 First Teamers, 5 Second Team, etc??

3. I am not aware of a Fan voting element to Wade Trophy, but there is one for Naismith that begins on March 19th. Make sure you keep an eye out for that. The Fan voting will make up a relatively small portion of the calculus for the final decision...which may be a "blessing" to Lou and Gabby as I suspect they will split the UConn Faithful Fan voting. This is the bad side of having two of our favorites among the finalists... BUT, it's still great to have our 2 Huskies among the best 4 players in the country.

Reaction Score
The funny thing about this I believe is that Lou and Durr were ranked 1 and 2 coming out of high school and I believe so was Wilson and Williams on at least one recruiting website for their classes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
KLS and Wilson each won the HS Naismith award twice. In comparison, Stewie only won once (though she won the college Naismith 3 times).

However you slice it, KLS is already a rarefied Husky.

They each won it once. Parker and Moore are the only ones to win multiple times.

Reaction Score
Gabby's also in the running for the AAU Sullivan Award for best amateur athlete against 27 other student-athletes. The only other NCAAW basketball player up for that award is A'ja Wilson. You can vote at AAU Sullivan Award until next Tuesday, March 20th.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A couple of Observations about this announcement:

2. Lou and Aja are on both Wade and Naismith Award finalist lists.... with Gabby and Asia on Naismith replacing Sabrina and Kelsey from Wade finalist lists. Clearly there are SIX AAs among these ladies on these two lists. I wonder which one slides down to 2nd Team on those lists with 5 First Teamers, 5 Second Team, etc??

Vivians should be in the mix for 1st team too...if I were picking I'd put her, KLS, and Wilson as my top 3. I think she's being robbed by being left off as a finalist for these awards after the season she's had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom