Nadine Domond in the news | The Boneyard

Nadine Domond in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just saw that Nadine Domond has been inducted into the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame. I still would like to know how she ended up in Iowa (instead of UConn) where she was hung out to dry by CVS. I know Geno was very high on her. He said she was a "female Bobby Hurley", which was quite a compliment at the time.

Reaction Score
Just saw that Nadine Domond has been inducted into the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame. I still would like to know how she ended up in Iowa (instead of UConn) where she was hung out to dry by CVS. I know Geno was very high on her. He said she was a "female Bobby Hurley", which was quite a compliment at the time.

1. May I assume you have a problem with Coach Stringer taking a higher paying job one year removed from taking her second program to a Final Four?
2. Ms Domond, from what I understand, wanted to follow Coach Stringer to Rutgers, but it was against Stringer's policy of not raiding the henhouse.
3. Ms Domond has been on staff at Coach Stringer's basketball camps for, at least, the last three years if not longer.
4. IMO, Coach Auriemma was still trying to catch his recruiting stride back then. Recruiting Jamelle Elliott was a breakthrough, recruiting Nykehsa Sales opened the gates fully.

Where has the time gone? I still recall one of Bobby Hurley's Duke games as a freshman against the defending national champion Michigan back in December 1989. Great game!

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Nadine was part of a huge recruiting class....I think it was 7 strong....including Brenda Freese's little sis [Stacy].
I saw Nadine play a couple of times at Bridgeport Central. She was as good a combo guard...imo...as Nykesha was a small forward...
which is saying something.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I spent one of my most enjoyable Big East Tmt's by accident 4-5 yrs ago with Nadine and her girlfriends. She was training Eluzabeth Williams at the time in her Basketball Training Program- ND's.... She was a wealth of knowledge and a load of fun!

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Wow, Nadine Domond.... We'll be talking about Tracy Lis next.

Reaction Score
Nadine Domond's loss was Rita Williams gain.
Had Domond chosen UCONN, I am not so sure Geno would have still gone after Rita Williams. If Nadine had chosen UCONN, I believe some of those close loses to TENN in the NCAA tournament could have gone the other way.

I think Domond's highly recruited class was done in by injuries. With the exception of Nadine and Tangela Smith, I think the other top two recruits from that same class had injuries.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1. May I assume you have a problem with Coach Stringer taking a higher paying job one year removed from taking her second program to a Final Four?
2. Ms Domond, from what I understand, wanted to follow Coach Stringer to Rutgers, but it was against Stringer's policy of not raiding the henhouse.

Oh, it was against her policy. I guess that's OK then. The new Iowa coach tried to change the next Bobby Hurley into a 2-guard. Brilliant!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Oh, it was against her policy. I guess that's OK then. The new Iowa coach tried to change the next Bobby Hurley into a 2-guard. Brilliant!
Vivian did not leave Iowa because of money, she left because she felt she could no longer pass her late husband's office every day on her way to work (he was a strength coach at Iowa). This was well documented at the time and the reason she is still highly respected by Iowa fans - I was there when she finally returned with Rutgers to be honored by the university. At any NCAA event where there were Iowa fans, they would always come up to us praising Vivian. It was an amicable parting.

Vivian coached her fabulous recruiting class at Iowa one year and was significantly under .500, as she was for different reasons her first 2 seasons at Rutgers. We saw Domond and company in the NCAA's their senior season, I think they played Kansas, I forget how we got to see them.

And I am not a fan of coaches who routinely take players with them, although I think players should have the right to go elsewhere. 2 of Grentz's last recruiting class at Rutgers played 2 years for Vivian and then left for Illinois to finish their career for her.

Reaction Score
Vivian did not leave Iowa because of money, she left because she felt she could no longer pass her late husband's office every day on her way to work (he was a strength coach at Iowa). This was well documented at the time and the reason she is still highly respected by Iowa fans - I was there when she finally returned with Rutgers to be honored by the university. At any NCAA event where there were Iowa fans, they would always come up to us praising Vivian. It was an amicable parting.

Vivian coached her fabulous recruiting class at Iowa one year and was significantly under .500, as she was for different reasons her first 2 seasons at Rutgers. We saw Domond and company in the NCAA's their senior season, I think they played Kansas, I forget how we got to see them.

And I am not a fan of coaches who routinely take players with them, although I think players should have the right to go elsewhere. 2 of Grentz's last recruiting class at Rutgers played 2 years for Vivian and then left for Illinois to finish their career for her.

Coach Stringer discusses the move to Rutgers in her book as well; Also discusses Nadine Domond with genuine fondness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom