OT: - Nadal first to 21 | The Boneyard

OT: Nadal first to 21

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It shoulda been FAA. I woulda hit for $400.

Reaction Score
Great rivalry between Rafael (06/03/86) and Novak (05/22/87) with 20 majors. This covid situation has a lot to do with who will win the battle.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Going 5 sets with shapovalov and medvedev at age 35 and pulling through. It’s 2022 and the torch still hasn’t been passed to the next generation. Incredible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is a great win for Nadal. Every major he wins besides the French solidifies his case for GOAT.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe these two compete in the same sport at the same level.

rafa.jpg

Reaction Score
Flexibility is probably a better asset than strength.racquets and string provide the extra muscle one might need more of.fwiw joker has to win 2 majors to take top spot at this moment

Reaction Score
I'll take joker on a hard surface or grass over anybody ever.nadal won most of his titles on clay.not to take anything away from what he did today which was pretty impressive

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I like Nadal best of the three (Fed,Djok) as he's the only one of the three who doesn't seem to be a self centered, pretentious #$%&. I would love to claim that he is the best ever (there is an argument) but if he had the additional majors in the prior two AO's, along with the Wimbledon and US Open finals where he gave up fifth set leads there would be no question.

I think Djokovic is the best when rating by all surfaces but Fed was clearly the better on grass. For the record, I think Sampras at his best was better than anyone st their best on grass.

I also believe that if Rafa hadn't had injury issues, neither Federer nor Djokovic would have won a French open.

One thing that cannot be argued is that with multiple titles at each of the four majors, Rafa is clear one of the all time greats.

Reaction Score
Joker screwed himself by hitting the lines person year before and not getting covid shot this year.

Reaction Score
Imagine how many one of the 3 (Raf, Joker, Fed) would have won if they didn't have to play the other 2 so much

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the home run chase with sosa,bonds and mcguire without the peds

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nadal never gets above #3 in GOAT conversation.

He's a one trick pony on clay and a top 10 player on all other surfaces.
He won eight majors that were not played on clay. Please explain how he is a one trick pony.

Reaction Score
Woke up at 7AM to catch the late sets. That was truly an amazing comeback. I'm not the biggest Nadal fan as I grew up being a fan of Roger Federer and naturally Nadal was his biggest rival.

But that was a great tennis match. What makes Nadal and the rest of the Big Three special is their capacity to get sharper and better as the game progresses. I think they have the mental fortitude and physical strenght to thrive in 5-set matches as they played most of their professional live in best-of-5 games. For the new guard I think its always going to be a struggle to play 5-set matches when most tournaments have been downgraded to best-of-3.

I feel bad for Daniil who gave everything he had in an environment that was hostile to him. Valiant effort and I like his personality. I think he has a lot to give to the tennis world in the future.

For me, Federer will always be the most elegant tennis player. Federer is like an artist in the court. But Nadal is now ahead with the 21st major and you have to wonder how much further would Nadal be in that race if it weren't for his persistent injuries over the years. All the respect to him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love how every athlete moves on to golf. the greatest football, basketbal, baseball, golfer cant play tennis

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Extremely happy for Rafa. Absolutely unreal match this morning. And you have to figure he stands a great chance of getting to 22 given his domination at Roland Garros. Cheering for him- has gotten more and more likeable as his career has gone on (similar to Agassi)

Reaction Score
Nadal is the best conditioned athlete in the world. When guys go up on him 2-0 sets in a major you can see them slowly crumble knowing they are going to have to deal with him for 5 long sets. I don’t know the stats but I’ve seen it happen several times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom