My worthless thoughts after Baylor and Houston. | The Boneyard

My worthless thoughts after Baylor and Houston.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Decided to wait until after the Houston game and put these all in one thread. Tried to avoid what has already been said.

—The occasional poor shooting, the higher than normal turnover number and the frequency of missed wide open layups have been season-long themes. Seemingly these problems would improve over time. They haven’t and probably one or all three could be the reason if Uconn doesn’t advance to their 13th consecutive final four'

—I loved the story Geno told yesterday referencing Anna’s lack of confidence in comparison to most international players. He pointed out Doncic from the Mavericks, who obviously plays with tons of confidence. He told Anna to shoot with the same confidence and fearlessness that Doncic shows. I wonder if Doncic would have that much confidence if he played for Geno.

—The number of posters critical of Liv and Geno’s lack of fourth quarter use of her against Baylor was higher than I expected. Liv was dominated by a first-team senior all-American. If she was being productive in any area of her game, she would have stayed in. I feel bad for the kid but as a coach, you try to avoid putting your players in a position to fail. Unfortunately, she was failing.

—I am in favor of Kyla starting. She isn’t shooting much but Geno indicated she held her own against Baylor and did some things well against Houston that didn’t show up on the stat sheet. Teams respect her outside shooting and crowd her because they know she can’t or won’t create off the dribble. She never forces shots. The shots against Baylor were rushed. They were also probably the first big-game pressure shots she has ever taken at UConn.

—I love watching Aubrey play and like everyone else, excited about her future. However, it has been pointed out over and over again that she doesn’t know the offense. After 14 games, shouldn’t she at least know a little of it? I know that is exaggerating the point but how much longer can that be used as a reason for her mistakes?

—I love the backstory Geno provided on Evelyn. I hope her minutes against Houston earned her similar time in upcoming AAC games. In numerous testimonies over the years from former players about Geno, indications were that Geno, in fact, cares about the development of all players. You would think that would be true of all coaches. It isn’t, of course. Geno does but it has to be on his terms without compromise to team goals. Works for me.

—Geno’s is obviously committed to resting starters in AAC games whenever possible. I wonder if there is a corresponding decrease in the difficulty or length of some of his practices.

That’s enough. Thanks for making it this far.

Reaction Score
Your thoughts are logical and to the point. I don't have any "howevers" or "but"s. I guess, in my lowly opinion, that I miss the precision and scoring that I have become accustomed to in the past. With the announcement of the incoming recruits of next year and following year, I hope that I am still alive to see the return of that kind of play where one of the former players made the remark: we practice till we cannot make any mistakes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I really like both of these posts. Especially victor64's remark about Kyla, "The shots against Baylor were rushed. They were also probably the first big-game pressure shots she has ever taken at UConn." That hadn't occurred to me before -- she's never been in a competitive game during crunch time.

I also liked VOD's remarks. I was thinking after the Houston game that I haven't been enjoying watching as much as in the past several years because UConn's play doesn't have that look of a well-choreographed dance. I still find myself taken aback by a few plays every game, but not a play every minute or two.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma was the first game that raised my hopes in the O passing game. It was really crisp on the perimeter. Unfortunately Baylor came to town. Agree about Audrey ...not sure that she doesn’t know the plays, think it just she’s a penetrator/disher. Which isn’t the UConn way recently. Really like her energy tho.

Reaction Score
Decided to wait until after the Houston game and put these all in one thread. Tried to avoid what has already been said.

—The occasional poor shooting, the higher than normal turnover number and the frequency of missed wide open layups have been season-long themes. Seemingly these problems would improve over time. They haven’t and probably one or all three could be the reason if Uconn doesn’t advance to their 13th consecutive final four'

—I loved the story Geno told yesterday referencing Anna’s lack of confidence in comparison to most international players. He pointed out Doncic from the Mavericks, who obviously plays with tons of confidence. He told Anna to shoot with the same confidence and fearlessness that Doncic shows. I wonder if Doncic would have that much confidence if he played for Geno.

—The number of posters critical of Liv and Geno’s lack of fourth quarter use of her against Baylor was higher than I expected. Liv was dominated by a first-team senior all-American. If she was being productive in any area of her game, she would have stayed in. I feel bad for the kid but as a coach, you try to avoid putting your players in a position to fail. Unfortunately, she was failing.

—I am in favor of Kyla starting. She isn’t shooting much but Geno indicated she held her own against Baylor and did some things well against Houston that didn’t show up on the stat sheet. Teams respect her outside shooting and crowd her because they know she can’t or won’t create off the dribble. She never forces shots. The shots against Baylor were rushed. They were also probably the first big-game pressure shots she has ever taken at UConn.

—I love watching Aubrey play and like everyone else, excited about her future. However, it has been pointed out over and over again that she doesn’t know the offense. After 14 games, shouldn’t she at least know a little of it? I know that is exaggerating the point but how much longer can that be used as a reason for her mistakes?

—I love the backstory Geno provided on Evelyn. I hope her minutes against Houston earned her similar time in upcoming AAC games. In numerous testimonies over the years from former players about Geno, indications were that Geno, in fact, cares about the development of all players. You would think that would be true of all coaches. It isn’t, of course. Geno does but it has to be on his terms without compromise to team goals. Works for me.

—Geno’s is obviously committed to resting starters in AAC games whenever possible. I wonder if there is a corresponding decrease in the difficulty or length of some of his practices.

All good points. I agree with them all, particularly the one about ONO. When a kid is struggling and going under in the deep end, you can’t just let them go and think they’ll figure it out. And I believe she understands this.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of V’s comments, though if she isn’t starting I would like to see Anna in earlier and longer and shooting more—which means teammates dishing to her a few more times. 14 games in and Aubrey can’t be trusted on the court is a growing problem. Anna is 14 games in as well and seems—most of the time—to know what to do.

Reaction Score

I thought EA handled herself well considering the rust she must be carrying....................unless she's dogging it in practice there's no reason that she shouldn't get a few minutes as an ONO or Irwin backup during the course of a game........

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I agree with most of V’s comments, though if she isn’t starting I would like to see Anna in earlier and longer and shooting more—which means teammates dishing to her a few more times. 14 games in and Aubrey can’t be trusted on the court is a growing problem. Anna is 14 games in as well and seems—most of the time—to know what to do.
Anna has played the last two years as a pro vs Griff playing in high school, a big difference between the two. Also, Griff was the go to person in high school and on many occasions she was forced to do it all, while Anna was part of a collective team effort that was closer to what UConn does.

Reaction Score

The missed shots (layups) and turnovers happen to all teams.
Yes please Anna shoot!!!
Personally I would have liked to see Liv play more. One thing about getting your ass kicked in a game; you remember it.
I like Kyla starting too. I would also prefer seeing Anna first person off the bench vs Kyla. Although by now I assumed she would be shooting more.
Free Aubrey.
Great worthless thoughts keep them coming!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Excellent observatins. I have a slightly different take.

I saw Geno using the Houston game as a teaching tool. He's developing a strong 7 player rotation. The starting 5 of Crystal, Chrystin, Megan, Kayla ad Olivia won't change. The chemistry is there and needs the continual development and encouragement. Aubrey and Anna are the two major players off the bench. He's working on keeping the chemistry going when he has to sub. He really doesn't want a let down with substitutions. That will take time but should be well worth the effort.

On another note, several posters have commented on Liv and her physical build. Keep hearing she has to bulk up, more muscle mass. She needs to be stronger to bang with the likes of a Lauren Cox. Guess what, not going to happen. Liv will get stronger. She will continue to be as she is. She will continue to learn how to use her body and physical talents to her advantage.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Gabby did not know the offense her whole freshman season, per her own comments. She said did not feel comfortable until her sophomore season. Sometimes it seems that it would help the team more if Geno simplified the offense the way he said he did at one point last season.

Reaction Score

I saw Geno using the Houston game as a teaching tool. He's developing a strong 7 player rotation. The starting 5 of Crystal, Chrystin, Megan, Kayla ad Olivia won't change. The chemistry is there and needs the continual development and encouragement. Aubrey and Anna are the two major players off the bench. He's working on keeping the chemistry going when he has to sub. He really doesn't want a let down with substitutions. That will take time but should be well worth the effort.

On another note, several posters have commented on Liv and her physical build. Keep hearing she has to bulk up, more muscle mass. She needs to be stronger to bang with the likes of a Lauren Cox. Guess what, not going to happen. Liv will get stronger. She will continue to be as she is. She will continue to learn how to use her body and physical talents to her advantage.
Agree, she’s not going to bulk up. She will get stronger though. She had one really poor game. I expected more based on her summer play with the senior national team. She’s seen bigger and stronger than Cox, and I think Cox is 1st team AA. No worries, it’s January.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As much as I (we) hate to admit it, this UConn team doesn’t appear to be as talented and resilient as some of the recent teams. As previously noted, the swing and miss the program suffered on many of its most coveted recruits the last two years, and the defection of other players that transferred, along with Camara being unavailable has left the program short.

Nine players can get the job done if all nine are experienced veterans that can/will produce and be effective consistently. One game does not condemn a team, but as in the Baylor game, it will expose any and all weaknesses and deficiencies you have. UConn was exposed, and it hurt.

Some posters were tepid in their criticism of the team’s (players) performance, while others aggressively went for the jugular, and pulled no punches.

How they fare against the remaining OOC opponents will answer any questions about how far this team can go in March. If they right the ship and win the remaining 3 games, I’ll be a lot more optimistic about their chances going forward. If they lose two, they may not advance beyond the second weekend. There’s an old adage: When people (teams) show you who they are, believe them.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As much as I (we) hate to admit it, this UConn team doesn’t appear to be as talented and resilient as some of the recent teams. As previously noted, the swing and miss the program suffered on many of its most coveted recruits the last two years, and the defection of other players that transferred, along with Camara being unavailable has left the program short.

Nine players can get the job done if all nine are experienced veterans that can/will produce and be effective consistently. One game does not condemn a team, but as in the Baylor game, it will expose any and all weaknesses and deficiencies you have. UConn was exposed, and it hurt.

Some posters were tepid in their criticism of the team’s (players) performance, while others aggressively went for the jugular, and pulled no punches.

How they fare against the remaining OOC opponents will answer any questions about how far this team can go in March. If they right the ship and win the remaining 3 games, I’ll be a lot more optimistic about their chances going forward. If they lose two, they may not advance beyond the second weekend. There’s an old adage: When people (teams) show you who they are, believe them.

A little reminder if you will. We could be ND this year.

We lost to a very good Baylor team. They could be #1 on Monday. I think they should be.

A loss, if properly handled, can be a great learning experience. Geno & CD & Shea & Jas will have this covered.

Reaction Score

Great point. As of this moment, Muffet's team is 6-11. If the Huskies were 6-11, the Boneyard would be deserted due to widepread apoplexy.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Irwin wasn’t great in the Houston game, I saw a few bonehead passes that caused the ball to be turned over.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

We lost to a very good Baylor team. They could be #1 on Monday. I think they should be.

A loss, if properly handled, can be a great learning experience. Geno & CD & Shea & Jas will have this covered.

I can agree with your last two points. I view your first point however as sacrilege. :) ND has already lost 11 games with a month and a half left in the regular season. I think with a little effort, they can make 16.

I can’t say I’m sympathetic for them. As other posters have mentioned MM’s refusal to acknowledge our own Breanna Stewart other players winning awards she thought her players should have won, as well as her sniping at, and her disrespectful and disparaging comments about Geno during pressers, prevent me from feeling even a modicum of sympathy for their current plight.

We all know this is a temporary situation that will soon pass. I expect ND to return to their normal top 5 position in the rankings in 2 years. I do acknowledge that MM is a very good coach that will return her team to glory once she has the players needed to get there.

It’s well documented that their fans hate and despise anything UConn, especially Geno. What pray tell did Geno, our players/fans ever do to them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would take exception with your comments re Ono and Kyla. Their total offensive production was 0. In effect, UConn played with 3 women. Ono was completely cowed from the tip-off to her departure. She plainly choked. Kyla tried an early 3, missed it and never tried again, even though she was constantly left open. If Irwin produces nothing offensively, why not start Anna, who is defined as a shooter? I believe that Geno is using Kyla the way he used Caroline Doty years ago to add some stability (experience, knowledge of the system) at the game's start. But Doty could and did score a bit; Irwin defers too much. This is a team lacking many parts. Luckily it has some really good teams yet to play, so there's always hope.

Reaction Score

If chemistry were the issue I'd agree. If Aubrey were to replace Kyla that would not disrupt chemistry. It may create a different chemistry since there is 3 or so months to go there is time to perfect ANY chemistry. Aubrey is the future, Irwin is the last of the last her lack of Div 1 Big time pT SHOWS. Any teaching Ania or Aubrey gets will last 3 more years any given to kYLA ends in March/April.
Aubrey I believe in games does exactly as she was told to do by Geno. Not in the flow of the game Geno would pull her. Didn't know the plays she'd never see game time. As for oLIVIA in the Baylor game she was overwhelmed by Baylor defense that's a coaching situation. She was pulled because she was not effective on either end due to Baylor's game plan. Uconn typically has gone as Olivia and Megan went Baylor's decision---take them out.
One tall body against 4 or more big tall wider bodies is a mathematical equation that does not equate. Don't blame Olivia. If there is a fix for this it must be found by CD and Geno.

Reaction Score
I can agree with your last two points. I view your first point however as sacrilege. :) ND has already lost 11 games with a month and a half left in the regular season. I think with a little effort, they can make 16.

I can’t say I’m sympathetic for them. As other posters have mentioned MM’s refusal to acknowledge our own Breanna Stewart other players winning awards she thought her players should have won, as well as her sniping at, and her disrespectful and disparaging comments about Geno during pressers, prevent me from feeling even a modicum of sympathy for their current plight.

We all know this is a temporary situation that will soon pass. I expect ND to return to their normal top 5 position in the rankings in 2 years. I do acknowledge that MM is a very good coach that will return her team to glory once she has the players needed to get there.

It’s well documented that their fans hate and despise anything UConn, especially Geno. What pray tell did Geno, our players/fans ever do to them?
On Muffet I agree. She had no sympathy to give gets none.
Learning experience in losing? Some coaches say all you learn from a loss is to lose.
To put you on the spot---What did Olivia and the 3 other Core's learn in the 4th quarter.
what did Olivia learn all the time she was in other than she couldn't do all those things she always had done and apparently was taught to do. If nothing you know how to do works what do you do then?? SIT!! And she did. Her whole approach to playing the post has to be revamped . Olivia is a talent she is intelligent and dedicate to learn all she can ---that too is apparent by how far she has come since Nov 2018. The ball is in the Coaches park either they fix it or in non AAC games it does not get fixed. The non Scoring by Ania, Aubrey, Irwin can and shall be fixed they know how to shoot and play WBB.

Reaction Score
Your thoughts are logical and to the point. I don't have any "howevers" or "but"s. I guess, in my lowly opinion, that I miss the precision and scoring that I have become accustomed to in the past. With the announcement of the incoming recruits of next year and following year, I hope that I am still alive to see the return of that kind of play where one of the former players made the remark: we practice till we cannot make any mistakes.
Tell you what VOD, make it a point to stick around and after our new recruiting class brings us another title I'll take you down to Tun's Tavern and we can quaff down a couple of root beers.

Reaction Score

7 players is the near realistic number. To be factual 3 is more accurate. Those 3 are very talented and alone. Olivia is talented but still learning. Ania is talented, not athletic. Aubrey is both talented and athletic but no Div 1 experience. The issues isn't one of talent or dedication. The issue is the limited number of experience, talent beyond the core. Then a short bench very short.
Geno, for all my comments to the contrary, has and is doing a superb job. With saying that that does not mean his coaching effort is over on the contrary it is just beginning.
Geno know and we are learning; warm bodies alone does not make a TOP DIV ONE Team.
I agree : how far or how well they perform against the OOC remaining dictates how the NCAA shall go. I'm pumping for the FF, NC is nice but less likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom