my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far)

Reaction Score
Well as the poster jazz and I have mentioned a few times there has to be a consideration takes on quality of opponent along with how teams were built. IMO the teams UCONN went through in 02-03 and 03-04 weren't as good as what Maya and Stewart had to go through between ND and Stanford.

Secondly- ofc Maya and Stewart would struggle winning with DT's teams -- but that's because the DT team wouldn't have another quality offensive starting guard and DT;s team had the combo 3 power forwards/ centers in which you have 2 good players like Turner and Moore. So exhange these 2 along with adding a Crocket type for guards of comparable value - - yes I think they can win too. Turner and Moore went on to play in the WNBA. They weren't bums.

Third- I do have DT slightly ahead of Maya but I can understand the counterpoint to be made for Maya - in that unlike 02-03 and 03-04- Maya's 10-11 team didn't have backup players in the post (S. Walker left during the season). So once Dolson got into foul trouble - only played 24 minutes in game 4 - but in games 2 and 3 she played 34 and 40- UCONN was susceptible to losing because they didn't have a backup. They got wiped out on the glass.

The only reason why UCONN didn't have Dolson play more in game 1 vs ND was due to Walker still being on the team.
Thank you for making some really great points regarding the distinctions that Maya couldn't overcome ... well said!

Reaction Score
After reading through a good number of posts and watching these great players for a number of years, my pick is...

Maya - As a person (on and off the court)
Stewie - As a player (She would be my first pick on the playground when choosing teams)
DT - As a leader (it seems like she we will a team to victory)

You can’t go wrong with any one of them. I’m glad they chose UCONN and shared their talent with us.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I'm late to this debate... But I'll add this.
The question was who is the best player, not who won the most titles etc..

I'm going with Maya, Geno has always said there is only one player who came into his program ready from day one and that is a fact! Also, there is a reason why she is the all-time scoring leader in the program and that is called consistency... And she did that on both ends of the floor, never lacking for energy or effort.

Stewie and Diana are tied for 2nd place.....

And though this is about what was done at UCONN, when you look at the impact she also had at the next level it's very difficult not to give her the edge as the all-time great, so far.
If I'm picking a player to be my franchise player I'm Picking Maya first and Stewie second. But that is just me..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom