my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far)

Reaction Score
Bill Russell was the greatest winner in all of NBA basketball, 11 championships in 13 seasons. Breanna is the greatest winner in all of women's college basketball, 4 championships in 4 seasons.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'm late to this thread as usual and I'm kinda glad. I read, I think, I ponder and scratch my head and have come to this conclusion. All three players were the GOAT if that's what you think. All three have a bucket full of stats to back up anyone's criteria therefore what really maters is personal preference. I can't separate them and pick one over the others maybe I'm fickle if so I can live with that. That leaves me with the following thought.
Start any new all time team pick your starters from any period of WCB and my guess is almost every team will include all three DT, MM, & Stewie . So my question to all you fellow BY'ers is who are the other 2 players you would have join them? UCONN or any other program, let r rip.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
These discussions are fun but I'm growing to dislike the word 'best'. All three were bestie
And Beasties!! And how blessed are we that Paige seems a good candidate to be in that conversation 4 years from now. 5 years from now we may also be debating the top 5 when you add in Azzi.

Reaction Score
I'm late to this thread as usual and I'm kinda glad. I read, I think, I ponder and scratch my head and have come to this conclusion. All three players were the GOAT if that's what you think. All three have a bucket full of stats to back up anyone's criteria therefore what really maters is personal preference. I can't separate them and pick one over the others maybe I'm fickle if so I can live with that. That leaves me with the following thought.
Start any new all time team pick your starters from any period of WCB and my guess is almost every team will include all three DT, MM, & Stewie . So my question to all you fellow BY'ers is who are the other 2 players you would have join them? UCONN or any other program, let r rip.
The 1st pick after those 3 is easy, Sue Bird the greatest point guard of all time. My last pick would be either EDD or Candace Parker.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
For me Maya Moore was the best basketball athlete to ever wear the UConn uniform. Stewart would be a close second.

Taurasi was the best basket ball player to ever play for UConn. She brought a lot more than just athletic skills to the team.

Besides, basketball isn't just a contest, it's entertainment and Taurasi was a superb entertainer.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The 1st pick after those 3 is easy, Sue Bird the greatest point guard of all time. My last pick would be either EDD or Candace Parker.
I had Candace as well, Sue Bird one of my all time favorites.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

To go with your (ersatz)C, SF & SG you need PG Bird and PF Catchings. (I'd pick 'em even if the positions weren't serendipitously appropriate.)

Reaction Score
Interesting question. If we keep this all-UCONN, it would have to be Sue and then the best big. Who is the best big? Rebecca? Kara? Tina? Picking the best big is as tough as picking between DT, MM, & Stewie. If this is open to any program then as Bud Abbott might say: "third base? I don't know".

Reaction Score
I do not see how Paige could overtake the DT epic . The surrounding talent will never allow Paige the opportunity to drag a team accross the finish line.

IMO though DTs competition was the weakest between what Maya and Stewart had to go through. A poster above is talking about Texas. Yes that was an amazing game - amazing amazing amazing- -- but where would you put that Texas team vs the Stanford and ND teams that Maya and Stewart had to go through? I'm easily taking the Stanford and ND teams. And some could mention "we beat Tennessee." But those Tennessee teams weren't that great either vs what we were used to. The Tenn teams of Holdsclaw, Catchings and Parker much better than the 02-03 and 03-04 Tenn teams.

This is just impossible to come up with. Impossible. All 3 affected the game in such an obscene way. I wish we could put that quality of play together on team and here how bad we are for wcbb!!! Maya's jump shot was obscene. DT's floor play was obscene. Stewie's versatility was obscene.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. If we keep this all-UCONN, it would have to be Sue and then the best big. Who is the best big? Rebecca? Kara? Tina? Picking the best big is as tough as picking between DT, MM, & Stewie. If this is open to any program then as Bud Abbott might say: "third base? I don't know".

I don't see the question of who was the best "big" as nearly as difficult question as to who was the best point guard. It's Tina.

Reaction Score
All 3 do. Hard to argue against any. While Maya was in contention for POY 4 years - Stewart was POY for 3 years. And Final Four MVP all 4 years. Neither Maya or DT was either.

And Maya's Final Four game as a frosh -while she scored 20 points-- she was 8-19 from the floor (3-11 from 3). She also had very good numbers - 9 rebounds and 3 assists - vs no turnovers. But it wasn't that strong considering she was playing wing and her counterpart (Wiggins) on the opposing team scored more points, had a better shooting %, had more rebounds, had more assists with the same # of turnovers.

Basically at the wing position - albeit they were different players- Maya was outplayed at the wing by Wiggins. Not her fault ofc-- she was just a frosh. And her job was not to defend Wiggins but the fact remains the opposing wing outplayed her. It's a very, very small point but imo the difference between the UCONN BIG 3 is very, very small. How can anyone be wrong with any pick? But the point is-- we're not just talking about being "good"-- we're talking being all-time great.
If you're using that comparison to somewhat diminish Maya's Final Four freshman stats, why don't we talk about Diana whose freshman Final Four stats as a frosh show her shooting something like 1 for 15 in the Huskies semi-final loss to Notre Dame is one of the worst performances by any player in UConn Final Four history ..... Based on you suggesting that Diana is your pick for the best Huskie all-time is a little strange based on your remarks concerning Maya's freshman Final Four evaluation .... Obviously about as far away from being a strong performance as you could possibly imagine ....

Reaction Score
Limiting this to a 4 year UCONN career makes this a difficult discussion. Too many moving pieces for a fair apples to apples comparison. Also, the game is more that just statistics. I would want DT to have the ball and take the last shot. So I guess that makes DT the GOAT by a nose (oops, sorry).

If we open this up to lifetime achievement, easily DT is the GOAT until Stewie or someone else proves otherwise.
Why would you say that DT's lifetime achievements easily make her the goat??? I seem to remember Maya winning championships in high school, college, WNBA, Olympics, etc .... I'm not sure what the numbers are but at the very least, they are in the ballpark with DT's stats .... they may actually surpass DT's for all I know ....

Reaction Score
I do not see how Paige could overtake the DT epic . The surrounding talent will never allow Paige the opportunity to drag a team accross the finish line.
You are probably right eebmg.

But a lot can happen over the next several years - injuries and transfers... I think PB has a chance this year to 'drag them across the finish line'. To do it as a freshman would be epic! I'm not sure we have any great players this year but a nice collection of good to potentially very good players. Let's just say it would not surprise me if we are having a debate some day concerning how great PB was in relation to DT and others.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy her game for 4 years! :)

Reaction Score
I'll stick to UCONN, the team needs a point and that would be Sue Bird. MoJeff would be great as well. Then a center and that could be Tina Charles, although Kara or Rebecca would be equally as great.

Reaction Score
He also said after Diana that Kerry Bascom would be next!

Reaction Score
Taurasi was able to do something that Moore or Stewart couldn't. She made the players on the 03 & 04 teams better players! The proof is the 2 NCs that they won! Neither of the other 2 did that!

Reaction Score
Taurasi was able to do something that Moore or Stewart couldn't. She made the players on the 03 & 04 teams better players! The proof is the 2 NCs that they won! Neither of the other 2 did that!
They did it, just not as well as DT did it. Afterall, DT is/was a guard and more of a facilitator than the other two, which lends itself to helping others become better players (IMHO).

Not to open a can of worms here, but one could argue the level of competition as well.

Reaction Score
Maya is a Hall of Famer as a player and a person, but I still rank her third. DT willed two teams to championships, and my heart will always say she's the best. But my brain says Stewie because of four NCs, four MOPs.

Reaction Score

I believe both Stewart and Maya did. When Stewart goes inside you had to collapse on her. Maya's jump shot opened up the lane for Monty's and Tiffany's abilities to drive, Tina's ability to score inside. And both were better defenders. To further that, Stewart's ability of help defense made someone like MoJeff a better defender.

Reaction Score
Why would you say that DT's lifetime achievements easily make her the goat??? I seem to remember Maya winning championships in high school, college, WNBA, Olympics, etc .... I'm not sure what the numbers are but at the very least, they are in the ballpark with DT's stats .... they may actually surpass DT's for all I know ....
Buzzy, how many gold medals does Maya have?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I don't see the question of who was the best "big" as nearly as difficult question as to who was the best point guard. It's Tina.

Are we talking peak or career? For peak, it's Tina. For career, it's Rebecca.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom